Weekend Getaway Ideas

Zemedici

Established Member
I was about to laugh at this but realized that two of my closest friends in this world I met on the Corral with just such a response.

The first was a guy on the Corral that posted asking what there was to do in Phoenix, I replied with something stupid like "Video games on my sofa". Imagine my surprise when this stranger actually showed up.
15 years later and we talk on the phone almost every day and he was one of my groomsmen (I didn't have a best man) at my wedding.

The second was my friend Rich. He asked if there were any car shows in Phoenix while he visited his brother, I replied that I'd show him around the Pavillions car show. Him and his brother showed up, and a few years later he moved to Phoenix and we've been close ever since.

Moral of the story. Go with the spare room option.

what the actual **** is going on here.

daustin

Established Member
Put-In-Bay Island, Ohio.
Kelley's Island is great too, less "bro-ey" than PIB. Bring the motorcycle or bicycles.

Driving distance from Western Michigan. Enjoy Lake Erie.

I agree with Put-In Bay. We go there every summer. Love it there. Just don't wreck the golf cart......

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
There are lots of things you could do, but I'd start with what interests you both. What do you enjoy doing together? Do you want to mingle with others or more be by yourselves? Adventure? Non-adventure? How far are you willing to travel? What is your budget?

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
what the actual **** is going on here.

I thought the same thing lol.

I have a co worker about to retire and move to his home in Florida, he told me if I ever visit I can stay at his place. I've worked with him for 5 years now and still think its weird that he offers me a room at his place. I couldn't imagine staying with a stranger from a forum I post on. That's a lot of trust!

Blackness03

Established Member
I thought the same thing lol.

I have a co worker about to retire and move to his home in Florida, he told me if I ever visit I can stay at his place. I've worked with him for 5 years now and still think its weird that he offers me a room at his place. I couldn't imagine staying with a stranger from a forum I post on. That's a lot of trust!

People do it all the time on ADVrider. Touring the world on motorcycles and sleeping on other forum members couches or camping in their yard. I'm also friends with these people who took a 2 week trip out west and couch surfed the entire time but I believed they used some sort of website with reviews.

I'd love to see the Smackdown threads that would come of it if people on SVTP did the same as ADVrider. LOL

Last edited:

daustin

Established Member
People do it all the time on ADVrider. Touring the world on motorcycles and sleeping on other forum members couches or camping in their yard. I'm also friends with these people who took a 2 week trip out west and couch surfed the entire time but I believed they used some sort of website with reviews.

I'd love to see the Smackdown threads that would come of it if people on SVTP did the same as ADVrider. LOL

When my dad was alive, he always opened their house up to his motorcycle forum buddies. He met some really good friends like that and had people riding in all the time. My parents had a big house, and they enjoyed meeting the new people and riding buddies. If the forum guys didn't want to stay in the house, he would tow his 43' toy hauler to wherever they wanted to stay in the valley and they could park their bike(s) inside and have the whole place to themselves. Not once was there anything that was broken or stolen, and they would always clean the entire 5th wheel if they stayed in it.

I on the other hand, would probably have a bit of a harder time opening my house up like that.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If you'd like something a bit different in your home state, check out Bella Solviva, the first eco-resort in the mid-west. The themes are pretty interesting and prices vary depending on what you choose. https://bellasolviva.com/index.php

When you get to the website, click on 'Themes' and be amazed. There are themes for families, couples and even adults-only (treehouses and safari tents). Very diverse getaway areas. Definitely worth looking at.

Bella Solviva just opened up last month!

"At the crossroads of adventure, nostalgia and quiet sophistication, the Bella Solviva Resort lies in the heart of Northern Michigan’s water and winter wonderland. Escape to nature’s playground in the fantasy world of the Neverland Escapade or reminisce as you stroll down memory lane at the Resort’s Route 66 and the 4585 M.A.S.H unit. Or discover the secret valleys and hidden hollows of the secluded Arboreal Glen. Each visit will be distinctive and unique, beckoning you to come back time and time again."

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
Chicago, hit the theater and a good pizza. Just got back from Ashville N.C., beautiful place and fun town. Kind of a hike from west Michigan.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
I met and became good friends with many people through ATV forums back when I used to ride and race. Slept on their couches or living room floors, shared vacation rentals, ect. - but it was all centered around riding and racing. I've met and hung out with several people from here and some local car forums, but not really good friends with any of them. In my experience the car community just isn't as friendly as some other hobby focused communities, or maybe it's just Mustang guys lol. I've had a few different people tell me the VW\Euro community is very friendly.

Malern28us

Established Member
Premium Member
So im looking at getting away with the wife for a weekend. I have a few ideas in mind and just wanting to hear a few more.. Nothing too crazy, and go..

What do you guys like to do? There are cabins in the middle of nowhere by Lafayette, IN. No cable tv, hot tub, 10 miles to the closest town. Close to a couple state parks.
Caves in Southern Indiana and Northern Kentucky.
There is also a place over by Lafayette you cane rent UTVs and stay in cabins...

Users who are viewing this thread