Weed Eater/ String Trimmers

BigFatMatt

Ain't never gonna change
Established Member
The new Stihl products just don't compare to the old Stihl stuff from a couple decades ago. My dad has a newer Stihl straight shaft trimmer with the edging attachment and it's alright but it just doesn't feel extremely well made.

I prefer Shindaiwa hands down, particularly the vintage Japanese ones... they are lightweight and very well made. I found an old F21 curved shaft on CL which is perfect for my yard (big yard with lots of landscaping and trees).

I need it to get in the tight spots and it has to be light enough that I can carry it around for 30-45 minutes. I much prefer the curved shaft over the straight shaft, it's less strain on my back and it reaches around trees and bushes a lot easier.

jshen

Established Member
I too, have had a lot crap I bought and learned from it...buy quality..All of my lawn stuff is Echo...It all works-everytime. The battery stuff is questionable to be because battery technology is evolving so quickly...

Equalbracket

Established Member
I've always bought Stihl, no other reason then a big local dealer. I have a fs 94 r and love it. Went to get a carb kit for my blower, walked out with new trimmer, pole saw, blower. I love yard work tho.

Tx5811

Veni, vidi, vici
Established Member
I’ve got an echo srm 225. All my stuff is echo except my pole saws. Those are stihl

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
I bought a bottom of the line Echo gas trimmer in 1989. It. Was. Always. Hard. To. Start.
When it finally refused to start a few years ago I went to have it rebuilt at our real live mower and saw shop. They said they couldn't get parts anymore so forget it.

I took it home, dumped the gas out, got ready to saw it in half so it would fit in the trash bucket.
Then thought, what the heck, I'll give it one more pull. It cranked right up! And I used it three more years.

The moral is, inanimate objects do respond to threats.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
I have the Kobalt 80v trimmer, damn thing is awesome. Best part about owning battery-powered lawn equipment is the wife does the yard work while I work in the garage.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
I’ve got an 18v Ryobi that’s 6 years old and still going strong. When this bites the dust, I’ll most likely buy another 18v Ryobi or step it up in battery size. The lithium battery last long enough I can trim the entire yard and use the leaf blower to finish it off. Nice thing is I can use the same battery in my drill, sawzall, etc.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
The moral is, inanimate objects do respond to threats.
Speaking of, my fuel pump gave out on my truck Tuesday morning going to work. It did so where there was no bayou around the drive that pos truck into. It knows. I left the pos there and got a ride home and let the tow truck driver deal with it. Dont tell it i said that, i am at work and need to make it home later today.

32ValveRom

Don't mess with Teksids
Established Member
I use a corded Black & Decker that I got for free. I've used gas before and don't see the big deal but it is nice not having to move the cord out of the way.

96_slow4.6

my car is really slow
Established Member
Thanks again for all the input guys, I'm still undecided on which I'm going to get but this helps out.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
It really depends on how much you need to trim. Stihl has a battery unit with charger that cuts for 17 min. That set up cost is $199 here, or you can upgrade to the 34 min run time. They even have a 1 hour pack I believe. If you don't have a big yard to care for, don't bother with the fuel type.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

96_slow4.6

my car is really slow
Established Member

96_slow4.6

my car is really slow
Established Member
It really depends on how much you need to trim. Stihl has a battery unit with charger that cuts for 17 min. That set up cost is $199 here, or you can upgrade to the 34 min run time. They even have a 1 hour pack I believe. If you don't have a big yard to care for, don't bother with the fuel type.

I don't consider my yard to be all that big, never timed myself to be honest, but I would probably look at the 34 minute option.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
7f397713b5ed8f77f7b308999c86ea45.jpg

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
I just bought an Echo GT225 this summer 2cycle I like it.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
I bought a Stihl FS130R last year or the year before, I don’t remember. But I love it. Around our pond, it’s almost always a swamp so I can’t take the tractor or the mower through it, and it’s some of the thickest grass on my property. The 130 goes through it like butter. I’ve gone through several $100-150 Lowe’s weed eaters and none of them even come close to the power of the 130. Starts on first pull with no choke every time too.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread