Weed Eater/ String Trimmers

96_slow4.6

my car is really slow
Established Member
What is everyone using? I currently have a corded Black and Decker that didn't last more than a few years. I'm thinking about going to the battery powered ones but wanted some opinions/views on them. I don't mind messing with the cord, and I don't really want a gas powered one as to me it's a hassle to have a second gas can.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
none seem to last even with quality fuel. The battery ones, the battery quits charging after a few years. All are meant to be thrown away.

I bought a "cheap" push mower from the depot, as the prior electric start(no cord) lawn mower quit charging the battery. The charger went bad. The new pull start lawnmower lasted six months before it's 100% plastic carb went bad. It's all shit.

96_slow4.6

my car is really slow
Established Member
none seem to last even with quality fuel. The battery ones, the battery quits charging after a few years. All are meant to be thrown away.

I bought a "cheap" push mower from the depot, as the prior electric start(no cord) lawn mower quit charging the battery. The charger went bad. The new pull start lawnmower lasted six months before it's 100% plastic carb went bad. It's all shit.
I can't stand this new age where everything is so cheaply and terribly made. I wouldn't mind paying more for a quality item but nobody really makes them.

I'm also surprised to hear of the plastic carb!! That is crazy!!

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
I have one of the Stihl fc-56(i think) two stroke models. It's what my cousin and some others use for commercial and residential for their lawn care company. They were great weed eats and last a long time for regular home use. It's two stroke, with a clutch, self feeding(tap the head on the ground0, LOTS of power and a strait shaft (curved doesnt last). You can remove the EPA bs screen in the exhaust easily. Those usually clog up and make it run like crap. Or clean it with a torch when it does clog up (look it up on youtube). The same engine is in my leaf blower. I burn about a tank doing my lard.

And no, it wont be cheap. But it's quality.

As for a battery powered unit. Just buy an extra battery and keep it in your purse for easy swapping when trimming your yard.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
I love my stihl but i wish it was an echo

Oh and gas or gtfo when it comes to lawn equipment

Malern28us

Established Member
Premium Member
I have an old Craftsman with a Curved shaft (whatever Bansheeman) runs like a top!
That being said, Echo has a 5 year warranty. Stihl has a model that has a powerhead (much like their chainsaws) and you can just buy multiple attachments to run off the powerhead.
My Craftsman is 12+ years old, a two stroke and has only been in for repairs after I forgot to run the gas out of it at the end of the year. If you cant handle running it until its out of gas at the end of the year, battery powered might be best.
I don't know about the Li-Ion batteries but the old rechargeables could be rebuilt with easily acquired parts on ebay. If you could plug in a solder iron and knew how to solder, you could make them good as new. Took about an hour tops.....

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I'm a Echo guy, my first trimmer lasted 16 years. If you consider electric, look at the ECO stuff, it's fantastic. I have their blower and hedge trimmers and I can't believe the power and how long the charge lasts.

96_slow4.6

my car is really slow
Established Member
Thanks for the information guys, I knew someone would make a fuss about the electric stuff, but plain and simple my yard isn't that big so why hassle with extra gas and mix.

Thanks 03cobra, I'll check their stuff out.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Echo SRM 225 and I buy the premixed fuel that is ethanol free. It had the reduced effort starting system and easy spool system on the head making it easier to refill string. This trimmer fires right.

I had a FS 56C and I hated it from day 1. Never started worth a crap and threw debris everywhere. I had it over a year and decided to move on to the Echo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Malern28us

Established Member
Premium Member
If you are going battery powered, do a search on the best one to buy. My 70 year old father just bought a "Worx" trimmer because the trimmer line refills are free. That being said, he hasn't ordered any refills and I am sure there is a S/H charge tacked on...

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
I have a cheap, freebie Black and Decker corded trimmer. If it wasn't free, I wouldn't buy it. It works.. but damn is it annoying.

I have a Honda powered push mower from Lowes.

Good god I wish I had a Stihl and a riding tractor.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
I had a FS 56C and I hated it from day 1. Never started worth a crap and threw debris everywhere. I had it over a year and decided to move on to the Echo.
I never heard of such a problem. If i had that problem, my dealer would of covered repair under warranty. I've also seen that problem with others who didnt know what they were doing.

Smooth

Well Seasoned
Established Member
I use a 12 year old Echo. Starts within 3 pulls every time. I burn through a tank every time I trim...in both the Echo and the JD X734.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
He is a worthless member here, oh. I thought I read wire eater. Move along, nothing to see here.

blah blah blah

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Been using the Ryobi weed whacker/edger. Has worked well for years. Batteries still running strong.

Like I can use the batteries from the weed whacker to hedge cutter to impact to drill etc...

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
I never heard of such a problem. If i had that problem, my dealer would of covered repair under warranty. I've also seen that problem with others who didnt know what they were doing.

Well, mine was no good to me after having several Echo products that would fire after two or three pulls. Even using Stihl premixed fuel and following the recommended starting procedure, I went back to an Echo and glad I did. I like the easy start system alot.

Even my Stihl hedge trimmer doesn't start worth a crap compared to an Echo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread