Weather

instantmassege

LS WHAT?
Established Member
yeah it sucks driving a stang/gto/any rwd car but i just dont see a point not to drive a car that you put money into and only drive it from april to november, thats 4 months of not driving a car that you're paying for (insurance and car loan) When i had my mach i drove it year round,it was the cleanest stang but when spring came around gave it a car wash and it looked the same as it did before winter. A car is meant to be driven, i just cant justify spending money on another car and haveing to worry about it braking AND paying insurance for it.

xonecrazyx

Established Member
i bought a beater and park the lighning until its dry and nice out . yeah im paying insurance . but would be more if i wrecked the lightning . get that winter beater and enjoy the fact that in spring the toys comes out . and lets you have time to choose mods before it comes ou. plus dont have to rush . its just sitting in nice warm heated garage

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
bottom line is if you drive the car year round in NE...it won't last. Salt, sand and snow take a toll on a car. Unless youplan on repainting your car every 5 years it's not worth it.

I bought my car as a weekend cruiser not as a daily driver.

instantmassege

LS WHAT?
Established Member
i bought a beater and park the lighning until its dry and nice out . yeah im paying insurance . but would be more if i wrecked the lightning . get that winter beater and enjoy the fact that in spring the toys comes out . and lets you have time to choose mods before it comes ou. plus dont have to rush . its just sitting in nice warm heated garage

cars arent meant to be kept in a heated garage.

instantmassege

LS WHAT?
Established Member
bottom line is if you drive the car year round in NE...it won't last. Salt, sand and snow take a toll on a car. Unless youplan on repainting your car every 5 years it's not worth it.

I bought my car as a weekend cruiser not as a daily driver.

Cars dont rust in 5 years time in this weather. If you car wash it every 2 weeks or so nothing will change, but then again alot of you guys enter car shows and dont race them much. Not tyring to knock on you guys just saying.

99stanger

RPB
Established Member
I am not worried for my paint being screwed up ( as I can fix it in the spring) as much as I am worried about the underside of my car.

luv2hiss

Transplanted again...
Established Member
Rust is a fact of life here in NE. It's gonna happen regardless of whether we drive our cars in the winter or not. The residual salt dust and calcium chloride dust doesn't just wash away after the first good rain of the year in the spring. It's in the puddles of water left between cracks and pot holes until the ground is completely thawed. It continues to come to the surface until the ground thaws and can absorb the run off water from the rain.

My GT's were my daily drivers, race cars and occassionally show cars. My Cobra on the other hand has not led the same life that the GT's did. It gets raced, shown and driven but only in good weather. It is a trailer queen for long distance events or going racing. I look at it as an investment that I do not want to depreciate in value. Obviously, depreciation is a fact of life, much like the rust that forms due to the conditions we live in. However, anything I can do to mitigate and reduce the effects, the longer my car will last and the better it will look.

The other part to this equation is, high torque and horsepower vehicles do not mix well with NE weather. It's either your own foot that can get you into trouble or the dick in the next lane driving the 4x4 SUV that thinks because he can go fast with traction means he can stop in the same manner, which we all know does not happen.

Ben, when you can afford it, park that beautiful GTO and get a beater. You will be so glad you did it. It makes you appreciate what you have all the more when you drive it less often. It's a two fold value, your car is worth more because it will stay in better shape longer and you have a greater appreciation for it when you drive it after driving a lame POS beater car.

gtmustang00

Established Member
you work hard enough for what you have, why not work a lil bit of overtime to get a beater for a few grand...

instantmassege

LS WHAT?
Established Member
you work hard enough for what you have, why not work a lil bit of overtime to get a beater for a few grand...

Because cars werent build to stand in heated garages. I agree its really dangerous do drive in the snow, but i would rather drive my car year round then let it sit for 4-5 months. Exactly we work hard for our cars so why not drive them?

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
Because cars werent build to stand in heated garages. I agree its really dangerous do drive in the snow, but i would rather drive my car year round then let it sit for 4-5 months. Exactly we work hard for our cars so why not drive them?

Becuase some of us bought our cars to appreciate and last a long time. I drove my last GT for about a winter and a half and it took a beating. It looked like crap as a result. Washing the car once every two weeks doesnt stop it from getting pelted on the highway by sand and salt. I understand your point, but I can afford to park my car for 5 months of the year and I choose to do so becuase when I'm 50 ( 28 now ) I want my Cobra to look the same way it does now ( with out having to restore it ). It's just in no way shape or form worth it to me to risk driving in inclement weather...I am sure your driving abilities are fine, it's everyone else that I don't trust.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
so just because we live here we should be comepletely content with all the crappy weather we get? Screw that I hate the cold and I plan on bitching and moaning all winter!

right...what else is there to talk about?!?!?

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
How about that turbo set up?? I expect to see some pictures of the install...I know you do most of your own work so didnt know if you were tackling this one yourself.

oh I deff will be...wont be happening till march/april i think though.

Dynotune04

The Turtle
Established Member
Rust is a fact of life here in NE. It's gonna happen regardless of whether we drive our cars in the winter or not. The residual salt dust and calcium chloride dust doesn't just wash away after the first good rain of the year in the spring. It's in the puddles of water left between cracks and pot holes until the ground is completely thawed. It continues to come to the surface until the ground thaws and can absorb the run off water from the rain.

My GT's were my daily drivers, race cars and occassionally show cars. My Cobra on the other hand has not led the same life that the GT's did. It gets raced, shown and driven but only in good weather. It is a trailer queen for long distance events or going racing. I look at it as an investment that I do not want to depreciate in value. Obviously, depreciation is a fact of life, much like the rust that forms due to the conditions we live in. However, anything I can do to mitigate and reduce the effects, the longer my car will last and the better it will look.

The other part to this equation is, high torque and horsepower vehicles do not mix well with NE weather. It's either your own foot that can get you into trouble or the dick in the next lane driving the 4x4 SUV that thinks because he can go fast with traction means he can stop in the same manner, which we all know does not happen.

Ben, when you can afford it, park that beautiful GTO and get a beater. You will be so glad you did it. It makes you appreciate what you have all the more when you drive it less often. It's a two fold value, your car is worth more because it will stay in better shape longer and you have a greater appreciation for it when you drive it after driving a lame POS beater car.

true that driving something slow and sloshy makes your car that much more fun when you get behind the wheel of it come spring time

merc lover

Established Member
right...what else is there to talk about?!?!?

Since the title of the thread is:

"WEATHER"

I thought that we should talk about that.
If you don't want to talk about the weather, I'm sure there are other threads about turbos that you could start/join in on/click on....

Thanks for playing.

Users who are viewing this thread