We Found the First Fox-Body Mustang at NPD | VIN – 00001

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
We Found the First Fox-Body Mustang at NPD | VIN – 00001

NPD_Mustangs_013.jpg

Firsts are important. Your first car, the first man on the moon, the first man to break the sound barrier; you know them all by heart. But do you know where the first Fox-Body built now lives? We happened to stumble across that particular piece of history while strolling through the Mustang Alley section of National Parts Depot’s massive collection of 200+ cars.

This particular car is 2nd level cool. Taken on its own, it is completely unassuming. On the surface it appears to be just a well preserved example of an early Fox Mustang with several now-rare options. However, when you dive into the history the story gets a little deeper. This video covers the particulars:

The options and early build features of this car is what really makes it stand out to me. I can’t tell you the last time I saw a Fox Mustang with a color matched vinyl roof fitted with a sun-roof. The turbo-4 under the hood was an interesting engine option for the time, and it features a labyrinth of vacuum lines I would not want to have to navigate. It also has a cast iron air conditioning compressor. Little touches like that make a 93 Fox feel like a quantum leap forward in technology. Then there’s the interior.

I have never said this about any other car, but this one has to be smelled to be believed. The vinyl covered interior smells exactly like a fresh box of crayons. It’s also exceptionally well preserved for a car that formerly lived life as a daily driver. That leads into another story.

First_Fox_001.jpg

Check out that sunroof.

First_Fox_003.jpg

The Turbo-4 engine was around long before the SVO Mustang.

First_Fox_006.jpg

Believe it or not, there's a turbo hiding under all those vacuum lines.

First_Fox_007.jpg

Included with all the other options on this Mustang is the TRX Suspension Package. Coker still makes the metric tires for these wheels.

This car was originally purchased by Ford executive who drove it for a couple years, ultimately racking up 15-20,000 miles on the odometer. Unlike many cars in the NPD collection, this one has seen some time out on the street. To me, that makes it even more interesting. The manner in which NPD has preserved it makes it appear frozen in time. It looks like someone just cleaned it up and was getting ready to catch an early screening of The Empire Strikes Back or Raiders of the Lost Ark. It really is a time capsule.

Beyond being the first Fox Body Mustang (VIN – 000001 | not necessarily the first one to roll off the assembly line) built by the Detroit Mustang plant; it contains features, both prominent and hidden, that you’re not likey to see at a Fox-Heavy show like the NPD Sponsored Ponies in the Smokies. That’s why I like roaming the NPD warehouse/collection. It just oozes history and coolness in a level you don’t see very often. For many reasons, this one is special.

First_Fox_008.jpg

A manual trans and an 8-track deck, this is a proper business coupe.

First_Fox_009.jpg

This was damn nice interior for the time.

First_Fox_011.jpg

The vinyl roof is in incredible condition.

First_Fox_012.jpg

Jack Telnack, father of the Fox-Body, signed the hood back in the teens.

NPD_Mustangs_017.jpg

That's a lot of fan shroud in front of the little 2.3L engine.

-SID297

TaraFirma

Established Member
And right next to it, the red vert, is the "last" fox made. Technically not the last one made, but ceremoniously was the last Fox to roll off the line.
The story of the real last fox is pretty cool.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Wow! That's so cool! Crazy to see how far we have come! To think that was "State of the Art" back then. LOL

HAMMRHEAD

Established Member
That is cool, and I didn't know they had a turbo 4 banger besides the SVO.
Oh God! I owned one. A 1980 Mercury Capri Turbo.

2.3 4 banger turbo w/ a carburetor.

Bought it used about a hour away and 'almost' made it home before I burned a hole in #1 piston. Dad and I rebuilt the engine and turbo, then proceeded to replace/fix parts of that car almost weekly for over a year. After which I unloaded it to the next 'lucky' owner. 6 months later he called me bitching about how something is always wrong with the car and the transmission has been slipping between 2nd & 3rd since he purchased it from me!

pos...

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That's a cool piece of Ford Mustang history. The red vinyl top is strange (color wise) because it has the look of a regular black vinyl top that was re-sprayed red. Everything else about this Mustang is really, really cool. Engine. Awesome interior. Overall condition.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Oh God! I owned one. A 1980 Mercury Capri Turbo.

2.3 4 banger turbo w/ a carburetor.

Bought it used about a hour away and 'almost' made it home before I burned a hole in #1 piston. Dad and I rebuilt the engine and turbo, then proceeded to replace/fix parts of that car almost weekly for over a year. After which I unloaded it to the next 'lucky' owner. 6 months later he called me bitching about how something is always wrong with the car and the transmission has been slipping between 2nd & 3rd since he purchased it from me!

pos...
ROFLMAO.....

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

cmm3

Established Member
Yea, the SVO was awesome, but the non-intercooled turbo 4 was a nightmare back in the day. I had a '79 Cobra 5.0 that had that exact interior. Comfort wise, it was a huge improvement over my '72.

Detroit Iron

Established Member
Premium Member
That is awesome. Growing up in the 80s and getting interested in cars, the fox body was front and center. They were literally on every street back in the day.

ArabianOak

Established Member
man those vacum lines give me ANXIETY!!!! i try explaining this to my kids all the time, if you drove cars in the 80's and 90's (one of my first cars was a 73 super beetle with NO HEAT) you learned to wrench whether you liked it or not.

my 73 beetle was a love/hate affair. never started (always parked on a hill in case) leaked oil, had only 3 working brakes and NO HEAT. I bought the plug in heater from wal-mart and it kept me barely alive when it was severely cold outside in northern IL.

my windshield washer fluid was powered by my spare tires air (on the beetle the spare tire air pressure in front plugged into the windshield washer fluid) so if I got low on spare tire air, i had no washer fluid. not good with the salty roads!

but in the end it has made truly appreciate the masterpieces we have now. cars with nearly perfect reliability, no leaks, running 9's and 10's stock with long warranty's as well. we are spoiled.

that 4 banger turbo was a DOG even back then...lololol

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
man those vacum lines give me ANXIETY!!!! i try explaining this to my kids all the time, if you drove cars in the 80's and 90's (one of my first cars was a 73 super beetle with NO HEAT) you learned to wrench whether you liked it or not.

my 73 beetle was a love/hate affair. never started (always parked on a hill in case) leaked oil, had only 3 working brakes and NO HEAT. I bought the plug in heater from wal-mart and it kept me barely alive when it was severely cold outside in northern IL.

my windshield washer fluid was powered by my spare tires air (on the beetle the spare tire air pressure in front plugged into the windshield washer fluid) so if I got low on spare tire air, i had no washer fluid. not good with the salty roads!

but in the end it has made truly appreciate the masterpieces we have now. cars with nearly perfect reliability, no leaks, running 9's and 10's stock with long warranty's as well. we are spoiled.

that 4 banger turbo was a DOG even back then...lololol

I'm getting ready to pull a bumper just to trace a vac leak in an EVAP system, so I know exactly what you mean.

Users who are viewing this thread