Watches......Show Us What You Got!

blk02edge

Established Member

Jmurrz

Established Member
If anyone can help me find a watch meeting the below criteria to a T, I will believe you're truly a god! It's driving me nuts!

Brown leather strap (7.5-8")
White face
Stainless case
43-45mm case
Automatic
Roman numerals preferred
<$600

https://www.worldofwatches.com/mens-townsman-black-leather-white-dial-fossil-fsme3104

Not quite that 43-45mm range but here is a nice 40mm option if you were interested https://www.worldofwatches.com/mens-classic-leather-white-dial-frederique-constant-fc-303sn5b6

Kiohtee

Established Member
I appreciate the nearly instant help fellas! My current watch is a 43mm and I feel like it's a touch too small sitting on my wrist. For reference, I have a 7.25-7.5" wrist. I feel like a 44-45mm will be perfect without giving the impression that I'm trying too hard to be 'blingy'.

Edit: I feel like the hang up in finding the perfect watch is insisting on the automatic.

Jmurrz

Established Member
I appreciate the nearly instant help fellas! My current watch is a 43mm and I feel like it's a touch too small sitting on my wrist. For reference, I have a 7.25-7.5" wrist. I feel like a 44-45mm will be perfect without giving the impression that I'm trying too hard to be 'blingy'.

Edit: I feel like the hang up in finding the perfect watch is insisting on the automatic.

I have bigger wrists too and it becomes much harder to find what you are looking for if you want an automatic larger than 40mm in that price range.

I would look into a quartz movement. I know it is not the "cool" thing to do, but that would be my recommendation if you want to stay under 600. In reality quartz watches will always keep time better, the only reason to get an automatic is if you are going to appreciate the craftsmanship and added "value" that comes with a good automatic movement. Under $600 the movements are mostly going to be Japanese. Not that they don't run well enough, but to me if I am not going for prestige, I may as well get something that is low maintenance. Automatic watches (especially when you have multiple on rotation) are kind of a pain in the ass to keep wound and up to date. Half the time I walk out of the house with my watch on the wrong date and time.

I was stuck on a "automatic only" mindset until recently, but I am now coming to find that it would be a relief to have a watch that just looks good and I don't have to worry about keeping it wound. If you can find an automatic you like, don't let the guts keep you from buying it. Just my .02.

Sirhc7897

Established Member
I can only imagine the backlash I'll receive on this, but I think I have found exactly what I want, minus it being Swiss and from a upper/luxurious company. And well, well under the $600 budget.

https://www.fossil.com/us/en/products/grant-automatic-dark-brown-leather-watch-sku-me3099p.html

Eh. If it is what you want, buy it and wear it. The hell with what other people think. It's not their watch or their wrist...

I get that there are watch purists/snobs out there but if you're not one of them BFD...It's your money and your wrist so might as well get what you want...

I've got way too many thousands of dollars into watches but I shamelessly rock my less than $500 dollar Bulovas & Citizens in regular rotation with my many thousands of dollars Tags, Breitlings, Tonino Lamborghini, etc...

I've had plenty of inexpensive watches be just as quick to catch my eye as expensive ones...

Matter of fact I've never purchased a watch (or not purchased a watch) because of the brand or price...If it speaks to me (and I can afford it) it's going in the watch box.

Edit - Have you looked at Hamilton? They make nice watches, do a lot with leather bands and have some very ageless designs. They may fall a bit north of your price range but are generally fairly inexpensive and well thought of.

Last edited:

Kiohtee

Established Member
Eh. If it is what you want, buy it and wear it. The hell with what other people think. It's not their watch or their wrist...

I get that there are watch purists/snobs out there but if you're not one of them BFD...It's your money and your wrist so might as well get what you want...

I've got way too many thousands of dollars into watches but I shamelessly rock my less than $500 dollar Bulovas & Citizens in regular rotation with my many thousands of dollars Tags, Breitlings, Tonino Lamborghini, etc...

I've had plenty of inexpensive watches be just as quick to catch my eye as expensive ones...

Matter of fact I've never purchased a watch (or not purchased a watch) because of the brand or price...If it speaks to me (and I can afford it) it's going in the watch box.

And see, I don't feel like myself even sporting a Bulova. It's just not something I've ever done prior to getting this sales gig. And it's probably more so because it's stainless steel and seems 'blingy' than because it's a Bulova (which I'm aware is a branch of Citizen).

I've always had Fossils and had good luck with them, though.

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
I wear the Seiko Solar Chronograph I pictured above these days, and wore out a Citizen "dive watch" over several years prior to that, but the best watch I ever owned was a no-name stainless dive watch I bought in a dive shop for $50 in around 1985 when I got my PADI card.

I'd take it to have the battery replaced every 3-5 years or so. It kept great time, and worked flawlessly after being underwater, relentlessly out in the weather riding motorcycles, you name it. It was bulletproof, till I dropped it on concrete 25 years later and bent the stem.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I can only imagine the backlash I'll receive on this, but I think I have found exactly what I want, minus it being Swiss and from a upper/luxurious company. And well, well under the $600 budget.

https://www.fossil.com/us/en/products/grant-automatic-dark-brown-leather-watch-sku-me3099p.html

You can get it for 100 bucks off Amazon.

Edit - Have you looked at Hamilton? They make nice watches, do a lot with leather bands and have some very ageless designs. They may fall a bit north of your price range but are generally fairly inexpensive and well thought of.

^^This. I almost bought a Lamborghini watch one time, but couldn't bring myself to do it. Something seemed wrong with having a Lamborghini watch and no Lamborghini car.

I'm really into the distressed metal look lately.

Jmurrz

Established Member
Does anyone have any good (semi-affordable) watch winders with room for 4 or more automatics? I rarely wear them, so I have to wind through 3 weeks before I get the date and time correct and it makes me less likely to put one of them on in the first place.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Your best bet is to hit eBay or Craig's List and look for some used ones. Watch winders are not cheap. If you have kids, winding your watches could be an allowance chore. It might even make them develop an appreciation for horology.

Sirhc7897

Established Member
Does anyone have any good (semi-affordable) watch winders with room for 4 or more automatics? I rarely wear them, so I have to wind through 3 weeks before I get the date and time correct and it makes me less likely to put one of them on in the first place.

I got mine from here:

http://www.watchwinderstore.com/watch-winder-landmark.htm

Works well enough. The one I got has 4 winders (2 pairs that can be set independently of each other) and another 6 non winding slots...Fairly quiet, the green blinking lights are a little annoying...

I was hit with a bit of sticker shock when I first started shopping for them...

JPD5801

Established Member

launchnukes

Crazy SVT Person
Established Member
Nice watches guys. Been outta the watch game for a while...just one left
174c00531828e1683b9ad9dbb81035a0.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

launchnukes

Crazy SVT Person
Established Member
So Google autocorrect chanced my nice watches to "watching neices" wtf?!?!?!?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

cali_kr

King of the Road
Established Member
Good thread....I too (along with my wife and daughter) also appreciate fine timepieces.

Until I post up some pix, here is the list.

Mine;

Breitling Navitimer (1967 vintage)
Heuer Monza re-edition
Heuer Carrera re-edition
Tag Heuer Carrera
Tag Heuer Gulf Edition Monaco (1 of 4000)
Baume & Mercier Clifton Club Daytona Coupe edition (1 of 1964)

Wife

Tag Heuer Formula 1 diamond bezel w/ gray MOP
Tag Heuer Formula 1 diamond bezel w/ pink MOP
and a number of vintage deco pcs

Daughter

Tag Heuer Carrera diamond bezel in black
Breitling Starliner w/ blue MOP

Users who are viewing this thread