• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

Watch Out - It Can Get Away From You

Discussion in 'Front Page Articles' started by SID297, Sep 30, 2019.

1. SID297

SID297 OWNER/ADMIN Staff Member Administrator

Watch Out - It Can Get Away From You

Overpowered_004.jpg

High-Horsepower Mustangs and inexperienced drivers seem like a match made in the salvage yard. At least that seems to be where to pair often winds up. You know the story; someone buys more car than they can handle, they decide to put on a show, and destruction ensues. I first noticed the phenomenon becoming more common when the 2007 SVT GT500 Mustangs started hitting the lots.

Those cars tended to bring a less performance experienced buyer into the showroom than the previous generation Terminator Cobras. In fact, one of the first GT500s that I remember seeing on the street nearly ended up in the wall at the Myrtle Beach Speedway during Mustang Week over a decade ago. Since then we've seen technology progress to the point that building an 800RWHP Mustang is beyond simple. Just make a phone call to the likes of VMP Performance, Lethal Performance, Team Beefcake Racing, or TPS Motorsports and could have a blower kit with all the trimmings.

The options are plentiful; be it a VMP TVS, Whipple Twin-Screw, Procharger or Vortech Centri, or a Hellion Turbo System. All of them can wring power levels out of a Gen 3 Coyote that would put a 4.6L 2V owner's jaw on the floor. If you're not used to it, that kind of power can have a quick romp on the throttle end with the car pointed in the wrong direction. The car will steer in the direction the wheels are pointed, and inexperienced drivers have a tendency to over-correct when the rear-end breaks loose. The result is often a collision with a stationary object (like a curb) or a crowd if they're leaving a car show.

I have no idea what happened to the car below (which I found while browsing Craig's List), but it has a lot of the telltale signs of what we've been talking about. Newer car, low mileage, Whipple blower, and curb smashing'ish damage. What do you think? Have any interesting pics/vids of things going sideways on over-powered drivers? Post them up.

Overpowered_003.jpg Overpowered_005.jpg Overpowered_002.jpg Overpowered_007.jpg Overpowered_008.jpg Overpowered_001.jpg Overpowered_009.jpg

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
  2. lexustech48

lexustech48 RIP FoMoCo 1903-2014 Premium Member Established Member

Its amazing what is possible when the ego overrides the voice of reason that most of us have.

Ive had my GT500 smashed up before, but it happened on a "track" racing against a GTR. GTR blew its driveline, locked up all 4 wheels and lost control into me. I was absolutely blessed that I had no frame or major structural damage.

The guy driving wasnt the owner, but the tuner hired to dial the car in for the owner. Apparently he told the owner the car (900awhp) was making too much power for the stock driveline. Told the tuner to send it. Unfortunately he sent it into me. :/

3. Weather Man

Weather Man Persistance Is A Bitch Premium Member Established Member

It is heaven for the Coyote swap guys. Turn key engine/tranny pallets right to your front door! It is amazing how many are being scooped up. The GT350/6R80 combo they package up is so damn tempting!

Klaus, jeffh81 and lexustech48 like this.
  4. COOL COBRA

COOL COBRA Hell Yes! Premium Member Established Member

Along with the added power, suspension & tire mods are often overlooked. And then comes trouble!

5. me32

me32 BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS Moderator

Its sad, but this happens way to often with the performance cars from the big 3.

jeffh81 and lexustech48 like this.
  6. 2veloce2003

2veloce2003 Member Established Member

Respect the car and respect speed otherwise you are doomed

Sent from my iPad using svtperformance.com

jeffh81, lexustech48 and me32 like this.
  7. lOOKnGO

lOOKnGO Keep'um smiling Established Member

Is this a required PSA? Unfortunately the butt of many car jokes. If it wasn't for bad drivers, I wouldn't own my GT500.

8. gimmie11s

gimmie11s Handlebar mustaches... PSSHHH! Established Member Established Member

Any car with 700+ hp that is NOT on a DR or r888r type of tire is going to end up in an ad just like that.

Klaus, jeffh81, lexustech48 and 2 others like this.
  9. DSG2003Mach1

DSG2003Mach1 Well-Known Member Premium Member Established Member

Even NA mustangs and such these days are way more than enough to get an inexperienced driver in trouble. I haven't really played with a new car much to see but I know traction control in my car (2003) can make things worse, there are situations where if you know what you're doing being able to keep the wheels spinning is better than not.

People used to slowly build up to 500, 600, 700+ hp over a long period of time and you learn to handle that as it grows. Now any idiot can go to Lebanon Ford and walk out with 650hp, that's exponentially more than needed to get you in trouble. According to social media every car makes 600+ so their car needs to too. I forget the numbers at this point but in the early days of the Viper an obscene number of them were wrecked or totaled on the way home from the dealer

10. Coz

Coz Premium Member Premium Member Established Member

Is this happening because they are turning off Stability Control in addition to Traction Control?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
  11. Great Asp

Great Asp Well-Known Member Premium Member Established Member

Just a note here.

Remember that as the weather gets cooler, so do the streets. Just like driving in snow and potential ice, test the level of traction you have now that we are out of summer weather.

E

Klaus, Tifosi2003GT and jeffh81 like this.
  12. SID297

I can tell you from experience that a bone stock GT350R can be a handful on dry pavement when the temps are in the 30s.

Klaus, jeffh81, lexustech48 and 2 others like this.
  13. Great Asp

Great Asp Well-Known Member Premium Member Established Member

Yeah, last Saturday coming home from C&C I rolled onto the throttle (Cobra replica) on the interstate, took me 2-3 seconds to realize the back end was broke loose. LOL, at 70 the back end comes loose.... :confused:

E

lexustech48 likes this.
  14. MFE

MFE Well-Known Member Established Member

fixd

jeffh81 likes this.
  15. biminiLX

biminiLX never stock Established Member

Those track focused summer tires really get twitchy in cold temps!
    My drag radials never get that unpredictable but the stock GY on my ‘14 were down right scary when the temps were under 60 even.
    -J

lexustech48 likes this.
  16. SID297

They basically end up like the hard plastic tires on a Power Wheels car.

Klaus and Coz like this.
  17. sono

sono Active Member Established Member

tire to hp ratios
    315s have been the bar for far to long. A set of Nitto 375s or 415s with bolt on rear fender kits is long overdue.

Klaus, jeffh81 and biminiLX like this.
  18. StrayBullitt

StrayBullitt Well-Known Member Established Member

The hit above looks more like a rear end job...

I was reminded how that can happen in an instant too.. I've never rear ended anyone, but almost did 2 weeks ago.

An Ambulance was approaching an intersection going east as I was going through south and I didn't notice it, as it approached the intersection only then did it flip on it's lights and blared the siren, it did so right as I was passing through and it immediately made me look over to my right and take my eyes off the road, just as I look back the Truck in front of me stopped in the middle of the road while already being through and passed the intersection.. I hit the brakes and immediately knew I wasn't going to stop in time, I swerved left just enough to miss the Truck and lucky for me the car in my blind spot to the left I guess they saw it unfolding and swerved too and that gave me room to squeeze through and not hit either of them..

Holy F I was so thankful to that person !

19. lexustech48

lexustech48 RIP FoMoCo 1903-2014 Premium Member Established Member

I can tell you I literally CHUCKED each of the Spinyears as i dismounted them off my rims. Literally the only time I ever had traction with them was while in Phoenix, summer of 2016, while job hunting. Thats it.

Klaus likes this.
  20. 1995COBRA-R

1995COBRA-R 15 Year Member Established Member

The 2019 Shelby GT350 owner's manual warns against driving one with temps below 45 degrees F.

biminiLX likes this.