Warrant Issue carrier bearing failed

nsstang

Nasty Style
Established Member
It all started with noise coming from the rear of the car which sounded like a bad pinion bearing. So I scheduled a time and took the car in on October 30 15. November 3rd I get a call after the dealership confirmed the noise and disassembled the rear end.

They informed me that the driver side carrier bearing was bad and that the race was spinning inside the housing and that the bearing was spinning on the differential (the tech said he pulled the bearing off the differential with his hand and nearly fell off). They informed me that the race had made a deep grove in the cap and the housing itself and that the housing would have to be replaced.

So the dealership ordered a new differential and bearing set along with a new housing. The Torsen differential and all of the parts minus the housing were received after a few days (Performance & Track Pack car).The dealership has told me that there are no 2013 rear housings in the country and that It is still on order from Ford. The warranty ticket keeps getting updated but still shows it back ordered with no delivery date and "sourcing vendor" under the rear housing status.

So here we are at week 12 and Ford still has yet to deliver a rear housing and my car has been at the dealership since. Is there any Ford rep's that could look into this or any one that could help?
I really don't know what to do at this point other than wait for Ford to come up with a housing so the dealership can put my car back together.

railroad

Established Member
They must have replaced a lot of these to use up the normal parts supply inventoried for the nation. A groove in the housing and cap is rebuildable, but could not have raised metal. Nothing wrong with replacing it, if they have one. Hope they get you fixed up. Desha (sp) might be able to help.

Bad Company

Established Member
It all started with noise coming from the rear of the car which sounded like a bad pinion bearing. So I scheduled a time and took the car in on October 30 15. November 3rd I get a call after the dealership confirmed the noise and disassembled the rear end.

They informed me that the driver side carrier bearing was bad and that the race was spinning inside the housing and that the bearing was spinning on the differential (the tech said he pulled the bearing off the differential with his hand and nearly fell off). They informed me that the race had made a deep grove in the cap and the housing itself and that the housing would have to be replaced.

So the dealership ordered a new differential and bearing set along with a new housing. The Torsen differential and all of the parts minus the housing were received after a few days (Performance & Track Pack car).The dealership has told me that there are no 2013 rear housings in the country and that It is still on order from Ford. The warranty ticket keeps getting updated but still shows it back ordered with no delivery date and "sourcing vendor" under the rear housing status.

So here we are at week 12 and Ford still has yet to deliver a rear housing and my car has been at the dealership since. Is there any Ford rep's that could look into this or any one that could help?
I really don't know what to do at this point other than wait for Ford to come up with a housing so the dealership can put my car back together.
I'm afraid you're going to be in for a long wait.

Ford has had a national back order on all of the Mustang 8.8 rear axle housings for almost a year now. I ordered one back in April or May through Autonation. Ford had a dealer in FL that had been sitting on one for roughly a year that returned it in October. Since Autonation had the longest standing back order in the nation at the time for this part it was sent to them and finally to me. Unfortunately it showed up damaged and with the inside of the housing completely rusted from sitting in the high humidity of FL for such a long time. I returned it to Autonation and it was scraped.

Now before I ordered it I talked to a few other companies that have been trying to get 8.8 housings. Moser Engineering uses them to build complete axle assemblies for Fab Five kit cars, Cortex Racing uses them to build complete floater style axle assemblies for Mustang race cars. Both companies flat out said that they hadn't been able to get new housings from Ford since the end of 2014 and that they were on a national back order and said good luck in finding one.

The only way you are going to get anything resolved quickly is to start raising hell with Ford Customer Service on the national level. I don't know if your state has a lemon law for new cars or not. If so you may want to threaten Ford with that. This may motivate them to get an axle housing built for your car. But then again they might think it is cheaper to buy the car back then switching the axle line to building what is now an obsolete production part in the big corporate world of mass production. Unfortunately with the type of damage you're describing, the only warranty resolution from Ford is a new housing. Also realize that though there are no 8.8 axle housings in the USA for any S197 Mustang that the 2013/2014 GT500 axle housing are different with a larger pinion bearing

I don't understand how Ford is not fixing this issue. There is also a Federal Law about having to have parts available for 10 years after it stops manufacturing a car. Putting the part on a national back order for over a year is to me the same as not willing to stock the inventory for the 10 years requirement the Fed's require.

Start raising hell, otherwise they'll keep sitting on their hands doing nothing.

I got lucky recently scored a complete 2013 SVTPP Track Pack rear axle assembly with only 225 miles on it from a wrecked car to build up. It hadn't had enough run time on it to dissolve all of the high contrast marking compound on the ring gear from the factory yet.

08KR525

Established Member
Shelby has had a couple of 8.8 complete axle assemblies on their Ebay site recently. I know this is a warranty issue but it might get you back on the road quicker. GL

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Raising hell won't help in this situation.

Snoopy49

Established Member
I have noticed that there have been various posts concerning long waits for parts of all kinds, parts that you would think warranted stocking. The 14 Mustangs have only been out of production for about 2 years and there are already parts shortages that would have never happened in the past. If this is the new trend, it is a very disconcerting one.
It makes you wonder if someone is buying up all the parts they can get their hands on to finance their future retirement plan?

03reptile

Established Member
nsstag: Been watching your car on the lift for the last several months! I asked Rich if he's going to make a career of this GT500! LOL! My 2013 had the exact same issue as your's. Carrier bearing came out by hand. Fortunately, the replacement parts were available and it was fixed in a few days. That was two years ago and the rear remains quiet. You have a great, caring, dealership taking care of your car, and I'm sure they are doing everything possible to get you back on the road. I sure hope you get your parts sooner then later. Wishing you the best.

nsstang

Nasty Style
Established Member
Yes Rich and the dealership have taken care of my car and have done a great job and are doing as much as possible. It's sad when you find a great dealership that will do all they can but has their hands tied by Ford.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It makes you wonder if someone is buying up all the parts they can get their hands on to finance their future retirement plan?

If we could go back in time about 6 months I would buy EVERY single Ford GT part from 05/06 that Ford had in stock.

Currently OEM parts are bringing a hefty chunk over MSRP, not to mention the only way you can order them through Ford is with current registration of your FGT.

Bad Company

Established Member
Raising hell won't help in this situation.
Doing nothing won't either.

Ford Customer Service should be notified that there is a customer without a car for 12 weeks due to a part not being available in Ford's inventory.

I had a Pontiac that sat at a dealership for over 45 days many years ago for a warranty repair. As soon as I called Pontiac Customer Service in Pontiac MI the parts were flown in the next day for the dealership to reassemble the car. The Pontiac dealer that had the car for the warranty repair was being told by Pontiac that there were none available in the country for a warranty repair at that time. Yet as soon as I called somebody was able to produce those parts and have them Next Day Delivered the following day to the dealership. I have always found it funny how all of a sudden something appeared out of thin air a few minutes after I got off the phone with Pontiac Customer Service and was delivered to the dealership less than 24 hours later.

Without an official complaint filed with Ford Customer Service there is no incentive for Ford to try to expedite the needed part to facilitate the warranty repair/claim.

Bad Company

Established Member
I have noticed that there have been various posts concerning long waits for parts of all kinds, parts that you would think warranted stocking. The 14 Mustangs have only been out of production for about 2 years and there are already parts shortages that would have never happened in the past. If this is the new trend, it is a very disconcerting one.
Snoopy talking with Moser and CorteX Racing, both companies were buying a large amount of the S197 axle housings from Ford. Both companies wanted new housings. They weren't willing to scour the junk yards to build rear axle assemblies for their customers. Each company bought quite a number of these housings. Moser was supplying the complete rear axle assemblies for the Factory Five kit cars until they could no longer purchase new S197 Mustang 8.8 housings from Ford. Ford may have had a large inventory for warranty purposes, but never calculated for the aftermarket demand. CorteX Racing was buying the axle housing through Ford Racing as a kit that included everything but the ring and pinion gears and differential. Ford Racing has removed all of the part listings from the catalog that included a rear axle housing as part of the part number in a kit form.

Unfortunately this alone in my opinion tells me that manufacturing side of Ford isn't planning on building S197 8.8 axle housings anytime soon, otherwise Ford Racing would still have them listed in the parts catalog.

After doing some digging around the Federal law states that the manufacturer or its vendor only has to stock parts until the warranty period expires for the vehicle. Not the 10 years as I had heard in the past. If Ford wants to they can repurchase the vehicle from the person in place of supplying the required warranty part during the warranty period to meet the federal requirements under the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act. So they don't need to stock the parts even to the end of the warranty period.........if they decide it would be cheaper to refund a few people for a warranty claim versus starting the manufacturing process up for what is now considered an obsolete part. This could get really sticky for someone that damages a car in a vehicle accident and no parts are available to repair the car.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Doing nothing won't either.

Ford Customer Service should be notified that there is a customer without a car for 12 weeks due to a part not being available in Ford's inventory.

If you think OP is the only one in this issue, you're wrong.

So, say there are 5,000 people effected. If 5,000 people call and complain, FMC will produce 5,000 parts that have been back ordered for a year, in the matter of a few days? Give me a break.

Bad Company

Established Member
If you think OP is the only one in this issue, you're wrong.

So, say there are 5,000 people effected. If 5,000 people call and complain, FMC will produce 5,000 parts that have been back ordered for a year, in the matter of a few days? Give me a break.
See that is where you're making the wrong assumption. In fact I doubt there are more then a couple sitting with this type of warranty claim in the country. At this point it may actually be cheaper for Ford to buy all effected cars back from the customers then to fix the cars by producing an axle housing they no longer use for a current production vehicle. In my case Pontiac was still in production of the parts to build the car I owned at that time. You've never dealt with a large manufacturer in the past........have you? The issue turns into what is being made for production, versus what is being made for the retail parts/warranty parts side of the manufacturer. When production of a certain part can't be sourced through the the parts side of the manufacturer, yet that same part is keeping a manufacturing plant running. It is in inventory. It just isn't available to anyone else but the production portion of that manufacturer this leaves the part unavailable to the retail/warranty side of the manufacturer.

I know having him call FMC will not produce a rear axle housing. But not filing a complaint doesn't give Ford incentive to do anything to resolve the case. As I stated earlier Ford may simply offer to purchase the car back from the customer to honor the warranty

Now can I ask a simple question. Why are you wanting to jump down my throat over this topic?

I've done nothing but explain what both my past experience with Pontiac was and what I learned trying to source a rear axle housing from Ford for many months. You seem to have a problem with my experiences with each and are coming across to me in a hostile manner

fearthesnake

Established Member
Snoopy talking with Moser and CorteX Racing, both companies were buying a large amount of the S197 axle housings from Ford. Both companies wanted new housings. They weren't willing to scour the junk yards to build rear axle assemblies for their customers. Each company bought quite a number of these housings. Moser was supplying the complete rear axle assemblies for the Factory Five kit cars until they could no longer purchase new S197 Mustang 8.8 housings from Ford. Ford may have had a large inventory for warranty purposes, but never calculated for the aftermarket demand. CorteX Racing was buying the axle housing through Ford Racing as a kit that included everything but the ring and pinion gears and differential. Ford Racing has removed all of the part listings from the catalog that included a rear axle housing as part of the part number in a kit form.

Unfortunately this alone in my opinion tells me that manufacturing side of Ford isn't planning on building S197 8.8 axle housings anytime soon, otherwise Ford Racing would still have them listed in the parts catalog.

After doing some digging around the Federal law states that the manufacturer or its vendor only has to stock parts until the warranty period expires for the vehicle. Not the 10 years as I had heard in the past. If Ford wants to they can repurchase the vehicle from the person in place of supplying the required warranty part during the warranty period to meet the federal requirements under the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act. So they don't need to stock the parts even to the end of the warranty period.........if they decide it would be cheaper to refund a few people for a warranty claim versus starting the manufacturing process up for what is now considered an obsolete part. This could get really sticky for someone that damages a car in a vehicle accident and no parts are available to repair the car.

This totally sucks and inexcusable imo. I just had the Carrier bearings replaced in mine from Ford, they did a great job and under warranty. I don't think there was any housing damage but still concerns me.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You've never dealt with a large manufacturer in the past........have you?

Nope, you're right. Never dealt with a large manufacturer. :lol1:

At this point it may actually be cheaper for Ford to buy all effected cars back from the customers then to fix the cars by producing an axle housing they no longer use for a current production vehicle.

You can't be serious.

Now can I ask a simple question. Why are you wanting to jump down my throat over this topic?

I've done nothing but explain what both my past experience with Pontiac was and what I learned trying to source a rear axle housing from Ford for many months. You seem to have a problem with my experiences with each and are coming across to me in a hostile manner

Again, you're wrong. I'm not jumping down your throat at all. If I walked back to my parts manager and told him I need one for my personal car...he'd tell me the same thing; it's on back-order and there's no true ETA. I can guarantee I have more clout with Ford than the OP. With that being said, whatever he decides to do, I hope it works for him.

Bad Company, you need to grow thicker skin. I was in no one attacking you or being hostile.

14GT5HUNDRED

Established Member
I have a question.. I searched eBay.. and there are 20 rear ends on there.. I know they are from used cars.. but.. the housing can be reused right? item #151955404925 thats a 13-14 GT 500 complete setup for 999.. and there were I don't know how many GT housings..

I know you want it warrantied.. maybe the dealer could reimburse for a used housing and you get some extra parts as well?

Users who are viewing this thread