Warrant Issue carrier bearing failed

36382mm

Established Member
It all started with noise coming from the rear of the car which sounded like a bad pinion bearing. So I scheduled a time and took the car in on October 30 15. November 3rd I get a call after the dealership confirmed the noise and disassembled the rear end.

They informed me that the driver side carrier bearing was bad and that the race was spinning inside the housing and that the bearing was spinning on the differential (the tech said he pulled the bearing off the differential with his hand and nearly fell off). They informed me that the race had made a deep grove in the cap and the housing itself and that the housing would have to be replaced.

So the dealership ordered a new differential and bearing set along with a new housing. The Torsen differential and all of the parts minus the housing were received after a few days (Performance & Track Pack car).The dealership has told me that there are no 2013 rear housings in the country and that It is still on order from Ford. The warranty ticket keeps getting updated but still shows it back ordered with no delivery date and "sourcing vendor" under the rear housing status.

So here we are at week 12 and Ford still has yet to deliver a rear housing and my car has been at the dealership since. Is there any Ford rep's that could look into this or any one that could help?
I really don't know what to do at this point other than wait for Ford to come up with a housing so the dealership can put my car back together.
So you didn't need a new housing (sorry if I missed something).

nsstang

Nasty Style
Established Member
The driver side carrier bearing spun the race under load and scored the main cap. The housing needed to be replaced as the caps are machined to match the housing and cannot be replaced.

Snoopy49

Established Member
Ford never supplied a housing or responded to any of my complaints. I purchased some Mark Williams billet steel main caps and had the main caps machined to fit the housing. I also had the axle tubes welded and painted the housing.

Did they line bore the housing when they installed the caps.

railroad

Established Member
Are those caps installed as the machine shop installed? The reason I ask, most markings match what they put on the axle housing. In the pics your caps would be upside down. Also, most markings will be nearest the marks on the axle housing, opposite of what the pics show.

03reptile

Established Member
Nsstang: I'm going up to the dealership tomorrow morning to get Rich to change the oil in my 2013. I'm heartened to hear that you have light at the end of the tunnel. I'm also angry that Ford put you through this unnecessary delay and STILL did not replace the damaged parts. I hope you continue to pursue this abhorrent lack of response by Ford and their apparent inability to maintain ALL replacement parts for these cars. I've been a loyal Ford customer since 1983 and I still can't believe they did this. Not acceptable or excusable. I know this is not the fault of the dealership. I thought your Shelby would be welded to the lift, as it has stayed there so long! LOL! I assume Rich will be putting all the parts in. Than goodness you've got a tech who is a master at ring and pinion alignment and as a result, you should have years of quiet and trouble-free driving. Best of luck!

Last edited:

nsstang

Nasty Style
Established Member
The Caps are over sized from Mark Williams and do not require the housing to be line bored they do however require to be flat milled until they meet the spec. The machine shop installed the caps backwards and marked them. They had to be switched but stayed on the same side. They are within the 3.0625 + or - .001. If your curious about installation the directions can be found here http://www.markwilliams.com/servicebull/sb0007.pdf

Snoopy49

Established Member
How round is the hole? I would check it out with an inside mic or at least a dial bore gauge.

fearthesnake

Established Member
nsstang - The Ford dealer is going to at least install all parts Labor free, correct?

Ball park range, what was the total out of pocket expense to get this fix and you back on the road?

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Does any one have an idea of the number of affected vehicles. This thread worries me about my car.

Don't launch on sticky tires at the track and you'll be fine.
Sucks but sometimes you have to live with just enjoying the car and fixing what comes.
Drive it stock on stock tires and you'll never have a problem ;-)
-J

nsstang

Nasty Style
Established Member
Car is done and back on the road. I am enjoying the 4:10's as I was cruising in 6th on the highway at 80mph with RPM's around 1900-2000. Car feels solid with all the new suspension and I must say after 5 months its finally nice to drive the car again!

IMG_1436.JPG
IMG_1437.JPG
IMG_1434.JPG
IMG_1431.JPG
IMG_1420.JPG

Last edited:

red cobra 03

Established Member
Don't launch on sticky tires at the track and you'll be fine.
Sucks but sometimes you have to live with just enjoying the car and fixing what comes.
Drive it stock on stock tires and you'll never have a problem ;-)
-J

I figured when i got rid of my 03 cobra that had the irs with half shafts that would snap for my 14 shelby with a sra issue like hard launch with sticky tires would be a thing of the past.

nsstang

Nasty Style
Established Member
3 passes at the Track on Nitto 555R's. Noticed a very slight wine from the rear on the drive home from the track. I started to notice a bearing growling noise a few weeks later.

Users who are viewing this thread