Want Smoother Shifts? Try This!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ROADSTR6

Deficient SVT Poster
Established Member
Yeah, those are just some pics I found on the net. Not my trans. It does look to be a Viper unit. killerSVTcobra, I bet lowering the rear of the trans as you suggested would give you better access to this bolt.

Wayne64SS

Established Member
i bet this is doable in car with the right socket and wrench combo. i'll throw mine on the lift tomorrow and see if i can get at it. I will post results. If I can get to it without yanking the trans I will put the washers in tomorrow and post driving results. :)

Black Sex

Established Member
^Or you could try using a swivel head ratchet, and you could try using a crows foot with it if there isnt enough room for a socket

Last edited:

Wayne64SS

Established Member
^Or you could try using a swivel head ratchet, and you could try using a crows foot with it if there isnt enough room for a socket

that's what i'm saying. I'll try and figure something out that will work and be easy for most people to do. Worst comes to worst and i'll throw something together real quick.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
I'd like more info on it, looks like the vette guys were doing it without the tranny being removed?

Corvette transmission is in the back of the car, they don't have the constraint of having a trans tunnel 2 finger widths away from where we need to get to.

lawdog302

Lets roll with it
Established Member
I would think the only concern would be popping out of gear. That is all the detent is there for. I think this may be worth more investigation.

ROADSTR6

Deficient SVT Poster
Established Member
FWIW, I've got 550 miles on my car with this mod and absolutely no popping out of gear.

CscottsSS

got boost?
Established Member
I'm still wanting to know what, if any, potential ill side effects this mod could have, beside maybe a sloppy shift if too much spring pressure is relieved. I do hope it does all it claims to do. Because it raising a lot of interest.

Too bad the transmission has to be pulled to do this very simple mod.

+1

I'm also sub'n for some future feedback from others who have tried this. :burnout:

AaronK

Established Member
I'm thinking about trying this...

However, I don't have ANY problems shifting fast without missing a gear. Maybe it'll make my shifts faster than what they are. I guess I kinda like it a bit "notchy" I don't have to question if it's all the way in or not :dancenana:

SickBlackMach

Throttling back
Established Member
Corvette transmission is in the back of the car, they don't have the constraint of having a trans tunnel 2 finger widths away from where we need to get to.

Gotcha, I'm not all too spun up on the 'vettes.

I would think that if you unbolted the trans mount, safely supported the tranny, you might be able to get the bolt with a "S" shaped or offset wrench. I know sears carries a wide variety of ratcheting box ended wrenches.

I might just try the mod this weekend.

Volatile

Destroyer of Alternators
Established Member
Subbing as well. I'm interested in how this works out as I'm doing a clutch here in the next couple of weeks.

jf4boogie

Established Member
Just my luck. Just had the trans out two weeks ago doing the clutch...

sub'n

vipergts281

Established Member
You guys do realize you don't actually have to post to subscribe to a thread, right? :shrug:

I will definitely do this mod next time my trans is out. Which, if history is any indication, should be any time now. :uh oh:

ROADSTR6

Deficient SVT Poster
Established Member
C'mon man. How else are we supposed to get out post counts up to the 4000's like yours? :-D

Last edited:

speeddemon2000

Established Member
I am going to give this one try. I am suprised My transmission is still working anyway. So every mile from here on is just gravy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread