Want Smoother Shifts? Try This!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lloyd Xmas

*The Office* Junkie
Established Member
Ill be the eleventy billionth person to SUB this thread. Sounds great but pulling the tranny to do it...Argh!

CSCOBRA03

Established Member
I am a Ford Master Tech and I will check into this tomorrow to see what this effects on the trans. My gut feeling is that it will be safe as long as the tension is not reduced to much and the trans pops out of gear.I will check my service manual tomorrow and post what I find out.

Kannif

I'm that guy!
Established Member
Hmm, shifts on my T56 in my 93 TA are butter smooth, wonder how it pans out for our trannies.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
sounds like it has the same effect as shimming the pivot ball on a clutch fork assembly, but backwards.

id bet this mod + the freebie clutch quadrant manual adjustment mod would pretty much alleviate 95% of owners issues with regards to shifting issues with the stock clutch.

nxs450

Kanas SVT Poster
Established Member
It sounds like it is the main detent for the shifter. Only problem I could see is if you shimed it to much it may jump out of gear on you. I used to work in a trans shop for years. I mainly did automatics though. I will talk to my freind which is the owner. He will deffiantly know.

cobrakidz

High mileage R
Established Member
I am a Ford Master Tech and I will check into this tomorrow to see what this effects on the trans. My gut feeling is that it will be safe as long as the tension is not reduced to much and the trans pops out of gear.I will check my service manual tomorrow and post what I find out.

Thanks........

ROADSTR6

Deficient SVT Poster
Established Member
Guys,

Someone with a little ingenuity should be able to fab up a tool to remove this bolt without taking out the trans. The problem is that the bolt is really close to the transmission tunnel. There is plenty of room to remove and re-install the bolt but just not enough room to get a socket and ratchet up in there, especially since the bolt is rather large and the socket that fits it is large too. To further complicate matters, a straight handled wrench doesn't give you enough clearance around the side of the trans. You need something with a curve in it. I think that you could probably get a cheapo Chinese socket, grind it down a bit on the open end for extra clearance and bend up a piece of 3/8" or smaller bar stock or even use a piece of rebar and weld it to the back of the socket to make a throw away tool specifically for this application. You don't necessarily need a ratcheting wrench. Just something to break the bolt loose. Once it's free, you can thread it out by hand. I've thought about fabbing up something like this myself. I may do it if I have some time in the next few days. Meanwhile, I'm looking forward to hearing from you guys that try the mod. As I said, it made a huge difference for me. I think you will really like it.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Sub-d also
As mentioned,my only concern would be the thing popping out of gear.
I really have to laugh at what the vette guys call this mod.

2001blkR

Established Member
I got a hold of it with a 1/2" ratchet, long extension, universal joint and short 15/16 socket. Couldn't get it off bc that 1/2" u-joint is too big and hits the tunnel. Gonna try a 3/8" 15/16 socket and u-joint. May have to grind down the socket a little bit.

ROADSTR6

Deficient SVT Poster
Established Member
Pics for those who have asked on here and on the Driveline Forum.

Dorman Part Number 65277:

dorman65277.gif

Here's the bolt that you shim out with the washers:

t56arrow.jpg

Have fun!

black 10th vert

Established Member
Thanks for the illustrations, and part numbers! A picture is definitely worth a thousand words!:beer:

Black Sex

Established Member
Can you take out the 4 bolts that hold up the crossmember and drop it down a bit? I would think that would help based on where that bolt is.
Should we call this the "Anti-Vette Mod"?

Black Sex

Established Member
Pics for those who have asked on here and on the Driveline Forum.

Dorman Part Number 65277:

dorman65277.gif

Here's the bolt that you shim out with the washers:

t56arrow.jpg

Have fun!

Is that a Ford T56? I see you modded the vent tube. I've been thinking of doing that so I can pull the trans off of the bell housing while its in the car. I just always pulled the whole thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread