Walmart Wins Again As Washington D.C. Mayor Vetoes $12.50 Minimum Wage

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
If you have a BA and apply to ten jobs you qualify for, pay well, good benefits, etc. (AKA, a career) and get none of them but still have rent at the end of the month to pay, yes, you ARE FORCED to get a job like this because very little else is out there. These employers are aware of that and take full advantage of it, oftentimes reminding employees on a daily basis.

I understand the employer/employee relationship, but that in no way condones abusive behavior.

They are the extreme minority, I agree.

That line was more in references to business practices the common person would agree are unscrupulous or morally questionable. Minimum wage is higher than it has ever been, but in relation to cost of living and inflation, it's in the toilet.

Abusive?? They are fortunate to even have a job. They have some bullshit degree and are abused and forced into working at walmart? I call bullshit. Here is the deal. Work two jobs work more then 8 hours a day and make $$$$.... You are only going to make what you earn. Sitting at walmart pouting about $7.25 an hour because you have a BA and deserve better. No mother ****er get out there and earn better you don't "deserve" dog shit so get out there and earn it!

Mother ****ers protesting about what they make at a no skill job..... What would their grandparents and great grandparents say. They would be ashamed of everyone of these entitled little ****ers.

Sick03Vert

Banned
Abusive?? They are fortunate to even have a job.

If I had a dollar for every cocky asshat manager here where I work that's used that line to degrade employees and make themselves feel better about being the piles of shit that they are, I would be the richest man on SVTP.

That line right there is a cop out to underpaying your workers. A bad economy is not a free pass to treat your employees like crap and pay them scraps.

We'll see what happens when all these businesses have no customers because nobody can afford to buy their products anymore. THEN I wonder what they will say.

Last edited:

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
If I had a dollar for every cocky asshat manager around here that's used that line to degrade employees and make themselves feel better about being the piles of shit that they are, I would be the richest man on SVTP.

That line right there is a cop out to underpaying your workers. A bad economy is not a free pass to treat your employees like crap and pay them scraps.

We'll see what happens when all these businesses have no customers because nobody can afford to buy their products anymore. THEN I wonder what they will say.

Not a cop out it is the truth. You don't have to be there. Get another job. Be willing to work out side of your field. Work from home. there are many options.

95PGTTech

Established Member
Abusive?? They are fortunate to even have a job. They have some bullshit degree and are abused and forced into working at walmart? I call bullshit. Here is the deal. Work two jobs work more then 8 hours a day and make $$$$.... You are only going to make what you earn. Sitting at walmart pouting about $7.25 an hour because you have a BA and deserve better. No mother ****er get out there and earn better you don't "deserve" dog shit so get out there and earn it!

Mother ****ers protesting about what they make at a no skill job..... What would their grandparents and great grandparents say. They would be ashamed of everyone of these entitled little ****ers.

I don't understand how we can have 30 commercials about IT being in demand and a college recruiter (or 50 at a college fair at a HS) repeating the same thing and how affordable his college is on loans, then when the kid graduates in 4 years with a 3.2 GPA working his ass off and the market has dried up so there are either no jobs or picky employers who know how saturated it is asking for 5 years of experience to hire and you think it's ok to act like he smoked pot five days a week for 4 years on a government dime in BasketWeaving Technology.

It's not like these guys at Walmart can say "I really want to be a nurse", go down to the local library, read some books, and take the NCLEX. The amount of jobs out there that employers will even interview you for without having a BA that you can actually make a career in are minimal, at best - and those are over saturated. You make it sound like there are millions of awesome employers ready to offer great salaries, benefits, and career security if only people are willing to get their hands dirty and be on time. You must be living in some sort of fairy tale.

The minority of these workers that I referred to earlier are not bitching or acting entitled, they are just looking for some fair treatment and a chance to stay afloat until they find something else. These guys are the people who are clean, nice, kind, and hard workers compared to everyone else when you go into Walmart - the "economy being bad" is not an excuse to deny these extra hard working employees raises, make them work different shifts week to week, and tell them they have to work through their lunch unpaid because "it's a tough economy, there are ten people waiting for your job if you don't. we intentionally keep you part time so we can lay you off at any moment and for any reason."

SS EATR

Established Member
I don't think Walmart should increase the minimum wage of the associates, but instead change the pay scale for promotions. I worked at the local Walmart store while in college and made my way up to an hourly management position. With the promotion to that position I only received an 80 cent raise. The pay scale for the entry level positions I believe are fine, there are lots of people who just clock in and take up space, but those who actually work hard and work their way up should be rewarded.

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
Lets look at it from the employer side. Joe has an IT degree and cannot find a job. Doug dropped out of high school had some babies and needs a Job. Joe and Doug start at my store making minimum wage. Joe does the same job day in and day out as Doug. Joes doesn't do anything that Doug doesn't do but because he has a degree in something completely unrelated he deserves more???? He makes me no more money then Doug so why the hell do I have to pay him more.

I don't understand how we can have 30 commercials about IT being in demand and a college recruiter (or 50 at a college fair at a HS) repeating the same thing and how affordable his college is on loans, then when the kid graduates in 4 years with a 3.2 GPA working his ass off and the market has dried up so there are either no jobs or picky employers who know how saturated it is asking for 5 years of experience to hire and you think it's ok to act like he smoked pot five days a week for 4 years on a government dime in BasketWeaving Technology.

Having a 3.2 and a degree doesn't entitle him to a job either that's for sure.

It's not like these guys at Walmart can say "I really want to be a nurse", go down to the local library, read some books, and take the NCLEX. The amount of jobs out there that employers will even interview you for without having a BA that you can actually make a career in are minimal, at best - and those are over saturated. You make it sound like there are millions of awesome employers ready to offer great salaries, benefits, and career security if only people are willing to get their hands dirty and be on time. You must be living in some sort of fairy tale.

Yes, you can it is called night school. They have tons and I mean tons of nursing programs where they pay you while you work and go to school. But the thing is you have to work for it! You are delusional if you think that a degree gets you a job in that field automatically

There are tons of employers. But they are not going to say oh look you have a degree here is 75K a year and 2 weeks paid vacation. Just because you went to school.

The minority of these workers that I referred to earlier are not bitching or acting entitled, they are just looking for some fair treatment and a chance to stay afloat until they find something else. These guys are the people who are clean, nice, kind, and hard workers compared to everyone else when you go into Walmart - the "economy being bad" is not an excuse to deny these extra hard working employees raises, make them work different shifts week to week, and tell them they have to work through their lunch unpaid because "it's a tough economy, there are ten people waiting for your job if you don't. we intentionally keep you part time so we can lay you off at any moment and for any reason."

They cannot make you work through lunch unpaid.

What keeps these people from getting a job doing hard work? Working at the docks, working landscaping, getting into an apprenticeship to be an electrician, a plumber a linemen? Oilfield. There are so many options that people won't look at because they have a degree and think that piece of paper entitles them to not having to work hard. SO 30 hours a week at walmart fits the bill. Work two jobs do other things to make money. If there are no jobs then move to someplace there are. North Dakota, Texas so on and so forth.

We can argue this all day but at the end of it. A person is responsible for their own situation. You are what you make yourself to be. Don't like making 7.25 work harder somewhere else. Protesting just shows you are a whiney bitch that doesn't want to work hard.

Coiled03

Established Member

I don't understand how YOU think an employer should hire people just to be nice after the job market dries up. I mean, you think he's gonna say, "Sorry, man, I know the market dried up, so we're gonna hire you, and pay your salary, anyhow. That's just how we roll."?

Just because the job market dried up while you were in school isn't the employer's fault, and they have every right to be as selective as they want within the confines of the law.

It's not like these guys at Walmart can say "I really want to be a nurse", go down to the local library, read some books, and take the NCLEX.

You're right, it takes a significant time commitment to get a degree. Having said that, do you know how many adults have to go to night school to get their undergraduate degrees? That's like a second job in itself.

If you don't want to put in the effort, get the hell out of the way for the people who DO.

The amount of jobs out there that employers will even interview you for without having a BA that you can actually make a career in are minimal, at best - and those are over saturated. You make it sound like there are millions of awesome employers ready to offer great salaries, benefits, and career security if only people are willing to get their hands dirty and be on time. You must be living in some sort of fairy tale.

Bullshit. One of the biggest problems this country faces is a lack of workers in the skilled trades. Employers in these areas are BEGGING for people to come work for them, but there's still a shortfall of people to fill the jobs. I can tell you they sure as hell don't require a BA. They just require some willingness to learn, and checking your ego at the door.

The minority of these workers that I referred to earlier are not bitching or acting entitled, they are just looking for some fair treatment and a chance to stay afloat until they find something else. These guys are the people who are clean, nice, kind, and hard workers compared to everyone else when you go into Walmart - "economy being bad" is not an excuse to deny these extra hard working employees raiseske them work different shifts week to week, and tell them they have to work through their lunch unpaid because "it's a tough economy, there are ten people waiting for your job if you don't. we intentionally keep you part time so we can lay you off at any moment and for any reason."

Are you kidding me about raises? I'm in a highly technical field, and even I didn't get a raise for two years during the recession! No way in hell people in low/no-skill positions should expect raises right now when many businesses are still recovering.

The fact is, employers have the leverage right now, in many career fields. There are so many people looking for work, they can be as selective as they want, and treat their people how they want, as long as they follow the law. That's not "unfair", that's running a business.

You can either whine about it, quit, or do your best to make sure you don't have to take a job that puts you in one of those positions.

Sick03Vert

Banned
Not a cop out it is the truth. You don't have to be there. Get another job. Be willing to work out side of your field. Work from home. there are many options.

So basically who cares how companies treat their employees? Nice mentality there.

Nice to know it's important to hold employees accountable, but the company? Nah. OSHA and all those organizations are a waste, since hey...if people feel a job is too dangerous, they can just go get another right? It's that easy! Doesn't matter that 85% of jobs are already taken by management's golf buddies, and the remaining 15% in the market are no better than where they are trying to leave now right? Screw them...they should work harder. :nonono:

Wow.

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
So basically who cares how companies treat their employees? Nice mentality there.

Nice to know it's important to hold employees accountable, but the company? Nah. OSHA and all those organizations are a waste, since hey...if people feel a job is too dangerous, they can just go get another right? It's that easy! Doesn't matter that 85% of jobs are already taken by management's golf buddies, and the remaining 15% in the market are no better than where they are trying to leave now right? Screw them...they should work harder. :nonono:

Wow.

Where did I say anything about safety? Here is what I said.

Not a cop out it is the truth. You don't have to be there. Get another job. Be willing to work out side of your field. Work from home. there are many options

and that was in response to this.

Originally Posted by Sick03Vert View Post
If I had a dollar for every cocky asshat manager around here that's used that line to degrade employees and make themselves feel better about being the piles of shit that they are, I would be the richest man on SVTP.

I don't see where anything has to do with safety or labor laws. Not sure where you got that idea from.

Last edited:

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
I don't understand how YOU think an employer should hire people just to be nice after the job market dries up. I mean, you think he's gonna say, "Sorry, man, I know the market dried up, so we're gonna hire you, and pay your salary, anyhow. That's just how we roll."?

Just because the job market dried up while you were in school isn't the employer's fault, and they have every right to be as selective as they want within the confines of the law.

You're right, it takes a significant time commitment to get a degree. Having said that, do you know how many adults have to go to night school to get their undergraduate degrees? That's like a second job in itself.

If you don't want to put in the effort, get the hell out of the way for the people who DO.

Bullshit. One of the biggest problems this country faces is a lack of workers in the skilled trades. Employers in these areas are BEGGING for people to come work for them, but there's still a shortfall of people to fill the jobs. I can tell you they sure as hell don't require a BA. They just require some willingness to learn, and checking your ego at the door.

Are you kidding me about raises? I'm in a highly technical field, and even I didn't get a raise for two years during the recession! No way in hell people in low/no-skill positions should expect raises right now when many businesses are still recovering.

The fact is, employers have the leverage right now, in many career fields. There are so many people looking for work, they can be as selective as they want, and treat their people how they want, as long as they follow the law. That's not "unfair", that's running a business.

You can either whine about it, quit, or do your best to make sure you don't have to take a job that puts you in one of those positions.

Well put! Thank you. I am glad someone else sees it in the same light.

Last edited:

Never_Enough

Established Member
Walmart Wins Again As Washington D.C. Mayor Vetoes $12.50 Minimum Wage - Forbes

Its absolutely disgusting. I was watching the news today and the news lady was complaining about "How do you expect to raise a family of four making 8.50 an hour at Walmart?"

No ****ing shit youre not supposed to raise a family of four. Youre supposed to get an education or work your ass off to move up in the system. Become a supervisor...an assistant manager...etc. Or just get a different job.

Its absolutely unbelievable that someone can be so stupid to think that every job should pay high enough to support a family on and live comfortably. If that was true, I'd be working at Walmart right now.
I agree with you, but minimum wage is still too low.

chip

Established Member
aint one person out there that is underpaid. it is a free market. if you think you're underpaid, go get a different job. if noone will pay you what you think you're worth the you must not be worth that much. if a company finds you valuable they will pay you more. if you're lazy you wont get promoted.

basically... if you think you deserve $50,000 a year, but no company on earth will pay you $50,000 a year, guess what, you aren't worth $50,000 a year (maybe you need to work on selling your skills better).

this entitlement thing is way out of hand, quit asking the tax payers to support you and get off your ass

Justa600

Established Member
According to SSA 40 percent of the labor force makes less then 20 grand a year. These are not summer teen jobs. People actually depend on these jobs to feed their kids and put a roof over their head.

Last edited:

chip

Established Member
I don't know where you got 40%. All the stats I see say more like 20. Thats including part timers.

Last edited:

Sick03Vert

Banned
Where did I say anything about safety?

What I was trying to get at is...why hold companies responsible for safety if the workers can just go somewhere else if they feel its unsafe? It's the same logic used in the "get a better paying job if you don't like yours" argument.

According to SSA 40 percent of the US population makes less then 20 grand a year. These are not summer teen jobs. People actually depend on these jobs to feed their kids and put a roof over their head.

Yep. But hey...who gives a shit right? 'Murica. :nonono:

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
So were these people not aware that they were starting at minimum wage when they took the job? If they've been there for years then it goes back to, move on to a better job. I understand you have to take what you can get sometimes but that's to get back on your feet then you try to pursue better opportunities.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread