Walmart Wins Again As Washington D.C. Mayor Vetoes $12.50 Minimum Wage

rezarxt

free pizza man
Established Member
Walmart Wins Again As Washington D.C. Mayor Vetoes $12.50 Minimum Wage - Forbes

Washington D.C. Mayor Vincent Gray today vetoed a bill that would require the largest retailers in the city to pay a $12.50 per hour minimum wage, saying it was a “job-killer” that would affect not only Walmart (its target) but also Home Depot, Target, Wegman’s, Lowes, Harris Teeter, AutoZone and Macy’s. Those retailers, he said in his veto letter, “either will not come or will not expand in the district” and will instead open stores just outside the district in Maryland, depriving low-income DC neighborhoods of both amenities and retail jobs.

Only non-union retailers with stores in the district larger than 75,000 feet and with corporate sales of $1 billion plus would have been covered by the Large Retailer Accountability Act , which gained political traction after Walmart, the nation’s largest retailer, announced plans to open six stores in the city. In July, after the D.C. City Council passed the bill on a 8 to 5 vote—one short of the nine needed for a veto override—Walmart said it would follow through on threats to cancel three planned D.C. stores that weren’t yet under construction and to reconsider the others. Yesterday, the company issued a statement saying it would move forward on the opening of D.C. stores “now that this discriminatory legislation is behind us.” In 2006, then Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley vetoed a similar big-box store minimum wage after Walmart took a hard line there.

In his veto letter, Gray expressed support for a “reasonable increase” in the city’s minimum for all workers, which is currently $8.25 an hour, a dollar more than the national minimum of $7.25. But he didn’t specify how big a wage hike he might support and he repeated one of the main arguments of those who oppose a higher minimum wage—namely that lower skilled workers would be shut out of the few higher paid jobs that might be created. He added an extra regional twist, asserting that many of the $12.50 an hour jobs would go to higher skilled suburban commuters instead of city residents.

Gray’s decision comes as unions and activists are running a national campaign for a higher minimum wage. That campaign has included one day walk-outs and picketing by employees of McDonald’s and other fast food chains around the country. The purchasing power of the national minimum has been on a general downward path since 1968, when it stood at $1.60—the equivalent of $10.70 in May 2013 dollars. Update: On Thursday night, California’s legislature gave final approval to a bill that would raise that state’s minimum wage from $8 to $10 over the course of three years. California Gov. Jerry Brown has said he will sign the legislation.

Article continued at link.....

Its absolutely disgusting. I was watching the news today and the news lady was complaining about "How do you expect to raise a family of four making 8.50 an hour at Walmart?"

No ****ing shit youre not supposed to raise a family of four. Youre supposed to get an education or work your ass off to move up in the system. Become a supervisor...an assistant manager...etc. Or just get a different job.

Its absolutely unbelievable that someone can be so stupid to think that every job should pay high enough to support a family on and live comfortably. If that was true, I'd be working at Walmart right now.

Gray_Ghost

Established Member
On top of what you said, WalMart doesn't do full time unless you're in management. $12.50 an hour doesn't mean crap when you work part time. Go get a real job you lazy bastards.

terrible one

American Made
Established Member
CA is expected to sign a bill to raise minimum wage to $10/hr to 'help working class families'. Unbelievable. I can't wait to leave this dumbass state.

95PGTTech

Established Member
There are two sides to the coin. Yes, there are a very many uneducated, unmotivated losers asking for handouts. There are, unfortunately, an equal amount of hard-working people stuck in bad situations not entirely of their own fault.

1. People who went to college and graduated with a degree in a talent-saturated field because recruiters, colleges, advertisements told them how the field was growing (AKA, mortgage your life to go to our college). They are looking for other gainful employment but need to get by while going on interviews, etc.

2. People who were laid off from said gainful employment (or whose significant other was) and they need something to pay bills while they or spouse look elsewhere.

3. People who are currently going to college and on the right path but need immediate money to pay rent, books, food, gas, car payment, insurance, health insurance, etc. (items scholarships or student loans won't pay for).

I'm not sure $12.50 is the answer, but at the same time these major corporations are abusing their employees and using the excuse of "tough economy" to go to all time lows. No unions, no permitted discussion about salary/wages, no full time to deny benefits and keep employees fire-able at any time, etc. You cannot support yourself, even one person, in any market that I know of on even middle management (assistant) pay (usually $10/hr starting up to $11.50).

The problem is the consumers - these giant corporations are able to offer all-time low pricing because they abuse their employees like this (among other obvious transgressions). All people care about is price. So long as consumers keep walking through the door because Advance Auto Parts has their alternator for $10 less than the local mom and pop shop, they will keep getting away with it.

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
There are two sides to the coin. Yes, there are a very many uneducated, unmotivated losers asking for handouts. There are, unfortunately, an equal amount of hard-working people stuck in bad situations not entirely of their own fault.

1. People who went to college and graduated with a degree in a talent-saturated field because recruiters, colleges, advertisements told them how the field was growing (AKA, mortgage your life to go to our college). They are looking for other gainful employment but need to get by while going on interviews, etc.

2. People who were laid off from said gainful employment (or whose significant other was) and they need something to pay bills while they or spouse look elsewhere.

3. People who are currently going to college and on the right path but need immediate money to pay rent, books, food, gas, car payment, insurance, health insurance, etc. (items scholarships or student loans won't pay for).

I'm not sure $12.50 is the answer, but at the same time these major corporations are abusing their employees and using the excuse of "tough economy" to go to all time lows. No unions, no permitted discussion about salary/wages, no full time to deny benefits and keep employees fire-able at any time, etc. You cannot support yourself, even one person, in any market that I know of on even middle management (assistant) pay (usually $10/hr starting up to $11.50).

The problem is the consumers - these giant corporations are able to offer all-time low pricing because they abuse their employees like this (among other obvious transgressions). All people care about is price. So long as consumers keep walking through the door because Advance Auto Parts has their alternator for $10 less than the local mom and pop shop, they will keep getting away with it.

Getting away with what?

It is a business. They can run it like they want. If it is that bad then people shouldn't work there. Not like it is a labor camp FFS. .

rezarxt

free pizza man
Established Member

When I walk in my local Walmart in Baltimore or Columbus, GA, I dont see any of those 3 however.

Planter

Banned
All time lows? Minimum wage is higher than it's ever been? It was never created to support a family.

minimum wage hasn't exactly kept up with productivity or GDP or inflation either. if it had it would be $22 an hour right now, but corporate greed, government corruption and foreign outsourcing of US jobs has prevented that from happening.

I agree that just moving minimum wage to $12.50 would not be beneficial, but I think wages on all spectrums should see an increase fairly and evenly across the board.

Elizabeth Warren: Minimum Wage Would Be $22 An Hour If It Had Kept Up With Productivity

Poppacapp

Established Member
What does someone do to raise a family on 8.50 an hour? I'll tell you. Their income level is low enough to qualify for a fully paid college Pell Grant.. go to school.. get a degree and get a real job. Quit whining while flipping burgers and hanging clothes on racks while you do nothing to better your life. :nonono:

Coiled03

Established Member
minimum wage hasn't exactly kept up with productivity or GDP or inflation either. if it had it would be $22 an hour right now, but corporate greed, government corruption and foreign outsourcing of US jobs has prevented that from happening.

I agree that just moving minimum wage to $12.50 would not be beneficial, but I think wages on all spectrums should see an increase fairly and evenly across the board.

Elizabeth Warren: Minimum Wage Would Be $22 An Hour If It Had Kept Up With Productivity

Heeeere we go again.....

Those BIG, BAD corporations will be the doom of us all!!! We're DOOMED, I tell you!

:rolleyes:

Planter

Banned
What does someone do to raise a family on 8.50 an hour? I'll tell you. Their income level is low enough to qualify for a fully paid college Pell Grant.. go to school.. get a degree and get a real job. Quit whining while flipping burgers and hanging clothes on racks while you do nothing to better your life. :nonono:

and what about the people with degree's who can't find work because it's all been outsourced overseas or the demand in that field has slowed down drastically?

What determines productivity? Minimum wage goes up so does the price of all things, from groceries to gas to clothing to services.

i'm not a finance major so I don't have any idea.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
I think minimum wage is a good thing...

These jobs are not meant to be a career. That are meant for experience and learning basic working values. You then learn from these, become a better person and move on to a better job. And then it repeats the cycle for the next person, however, that's not how it's working. You have people who instead of trying to better themselves and become educated in another field that actually pays you for what you're worth rather just stand around and complain about not getting paid enough.

By no means does Walmart FORCE these people to work there. If they can't go out and find another job then it sounds like they should be happy that people even hire them to work.

I started out making minimum wage when I was 16 and told myself there is no way I am working this hard for this small amount of money and I didn't. I went and worked other skillsets until I found what I wanted to do and pursued it. And I didn't have money and I didn't come from a family with money. I honestly don't see what is keeping these people from doing the same thing other than motivation.

jbs$

Established Member
First, the minimum wage should be a abandon as it is a barrier to those seeking starting employment. Employers want the best quality worker, low turn over and productive time use for the dollars available for the job at hand. The difference is, some jobs are more valuable than others. A floor sweeper may be worth $5 per hour where as a welder is worth more than $20. The advantage to our floor sweeper, who, at this point has no other skills, is, it get him in the door. Now, if he gets to work on time, does a good job and displays a can do attitude, over time a pathway to the $20+ per hr. wage will be available.
His major problem today is no skills, no track record and he is not worth putting on your payroll at $10 per hr. Minimum wage laws are both job and opportunity killers.

Planter

Banned
I honestly don't see what is keeping these people from doing the same thing other than motivation.

could be a lot of factors...learning disabilities, fear of failure in college, lack of funds, etc. A lot of young adults that want to go to college can't afford to, they're under 23, still have to put mom and dad on their FAFSA forms for tax purposes, and mom and dad make too much money according to the government, and so they get no financial assistance, don't qualify for scholarships (both my cousins were 4.0 students and soccer athletes, one even qualified to play on the Women's US Soccer team before she broke her tibia, and both were never offered scholarships or qualified for scholarships and both applied for over 100 of them.

some become a victim of circumstance, some are just trying to survive and keep a roof over their heads and food on the table.

in the end, I agree with the opinion that those that want to better themselves, and go to college, will always find a way and a means to do so. I did.

People can choose to overcome their circumstances and succeed, or they can stay a victim to it. :shrug:

95PGTTech

Established Member
Getting away with what?

It is a business. They can run it like they want. If it is that bad then people shouldn't work there. Not like it is a labor camp FFS. .

If you have a BA and apply to ten jobs you qualify for, pay well, good benefits, etc. (AKA, a career) and get none of them but still have rent at the end of the month to pay, yes, you ARE FORCED to get a job like this because very little else is out there. These employers are aware of that and take full advantage of it, oftentimes reminding employees on a daily basis.

I understand the employer/employee relationship, but that in no way condones abusive behavior.

When I walk in my local Walmart in Baltimore or Columbus, GA, I dont see any of those 3 however.

They are the extreme minority, I agree.

All time lows? Minimum wage is higher than it's ever been? It was never created to support a family.

That line was more in references to business practices the common person would agree are unscrupulous or morally questionable. Minimum wage is higher than it has ever been, but in relation to cost of living and inflation, it's in the toilet.

95gts5oh

wat
Established Member
Minimum wage should be low, it SHOULD force people to want to better themselves. Raising it will just result in people staying exactly where they are. Those jobs aren't meant for people in their 30's as a career opportunity, it's meant for people who are just getting started in the work place. You cannot tell me that straightening items on a shelf deserves 12+ an hour. Show people you have value and potential through hard work and you'll be fine. Make friends, I've seen people make job contacts even at a gym. Just have to put yourself out there.

Last edited:

jbs$

Established Member
Planter, you are being too kind. Form my personal observations, most just do not want to get their hands dirty or to sweat very much. Most entry level jobs entail both.

Users who are viewing this thread