Walmart Wins Again As Washington D.C. Mayor Vetoes $12.50 Minimum Wage

ViciousJay

Established Member
CA is expected to sign a bill to raise minimum wage to $10/hr to 'help working class families'. Unbelievable. I can't wait to leave this dumbass state.

i cant wait till all thats left is illegals and movie stars who have to pay for there crap.

ViciousJay

Established Member
could be a lot of factors...learning disabilities, fear of failure in college, lack of funds, etc. A lot of young adults that want to go to college can't afford to, they're under 23, still have to put mom and dad on their FAFSA forms for tax purposes, and mom and dad make too much money according to the government, and so they get no financial assistance, don't qualify for scholarships (both my cousins were 4.0 students and soccer athletes, one even qualified to play on the Women's US Soccer team before she broke her tibia, and both were never offered scholarships or qualified for scholarships and both applied for over 100 of them.

some become a victim of circumstance, some are just trying to survive and keep a roof over their heads and food on the table.

in the end, I agree with the opinion that those that want to better themselves, and go to college, will always find a way and a means to do so. I did.

People can choose to overcome their circumstances and succeed, or they can stay a victim to it. :shrug:

No a lot of them are learning that little piece of paper isnt worth more then the stuff they wipe their asses with. So they figure why bother.

Equalbracket

Established Member
I go to school full time and drive a lift at a Walmart DC, make $17.40/hr full benefits $500bonus every quarter, and they gave me a school grant which covers almost 80%. I still despise Walmart and wont shop there.

Good company to work for tho, logistics side. Store side is terrible.

95PGTTech

Established Member
There are still a lot of fields (Nursing, etc.) that you cannot get into without a degree. There are also many IT, office jobs, etc. in which an employer won't even look at your application without a BA on it. I understand the point you're going for though.

Mentos

Earn this
Established Member
When I walk in my local Walmart in Baltimore or Columbus, GA, I dont see any of those 3 however.

^This

There are hard working employees there, however 90% of the employees I see could care less if I'm even there. Does that warrant more pay? I'm not sure.

Are you supposed to support your family from a PT job at Walmart? I don't see how if would work for most. Time to get a second PT job, or go somewhere else.

Planter

Banned
^This

There are hard working employees there, however 90% of the employees I see could care less if I'm even there. Does that warrant more pay? I'm not sure.

that's a reflection of poor management. when I go in Wal-Mart I see employees dressed like scrubs, wild hair that is not neatly groomed or well kept, out of control facial hair on men (and in some cases some women.....:xpl:), clothes are often dirty and stained (i don't know if that's a result of laziness and not doing laundry, or just getting dirty at work), and many have bad breath and stink and you can smell it because they get close and talk to you in your face.

seems like anymore that wal-mart has become the haven for the trash of society to work at.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
First, the minimum wage should be a abandon as it is a barrier to those seeking starting employment. Employers want the best quality worker, low turn over and productive time use for the dollars available for the job at hand. The difference is, some jobs are more valuable than others. A floor sweeper may be worth $5 per hour where as a welder is worth more than $20. The advantage to our floor sweeper, who, at this point has no other skills, is, it get him in the door. Now, if he gets to work on time, does a good job and displays a can do attitude, over time a pathway to the $20+ per hr. wage will be available.
His major problem today is no skills, no track record and he is not worth putting on your payroll at $10 per hr. Minimum wage laws are both job and opportunity killers.

exactly

floors and ceilings hurt the free market.

Wage floors cut the quantity of jobs available.

If $15 were the minimum wage, a business can afford 1 worker at $15/hr or two workers at $7.50/hr.

If the business can utilize two workers, they provide more people with jobs and are able to increase their output and/or lower prices. This increases demand, and as product/service demand goes up....more workers are needed and more jobs are created.

The Grey Beast

Established Member
could be a lot of factors...learning disabilities, fear of failure in college, lack of funds, etc. A lot of young adults that want to go to college can't afford to, they're under 23, still have to put mom and dad on their FAFSA forms for tax purposes, and mom and dad make too much money according to the government, and so they get no financial assistance, don't qualify for scholarships (both my cousins were 4.0 students and soccer athletes, one even qualified to play on the Women's US Soccer team before she broke her tibia, and both were never offered scholarships or qualified for scholarships and both applied for over 100 of them.

in the end, I agree with the opinion that those that want to better themselves, and go to college, will always find a way and a means to do so. I did.

People can choose to overcome their circumstances and succeed, or they can stay a victim to it. :shrug:

Agree with this guy. In the end, if you want something bad enough, such as to get an higher level of education, then you will find a way. Even if it means going in debt or working through college. At my school I honestly only know of a few people who are going here loan free. And that's at a school that gives pretty well everyone some type of scholarships. I also have friends that go to school full time and work 15-20 hours a week. I myself honestly don't because I honestly do not have time with my full schedule, but there are people who do it because they want the education and their dream job so to speak.

oldmodman

Established Member
Just be clever enough to not only screw the government but make money at the same time.

I ran into a young lady that walks, bathes, and feeds dogs and other pets for rich people too busy or lazy to do it themselves. It's easy work and all word of mouth. She said that she generally earns $1500.00 up to $3500.00 per week.
And I bet that no taxes are paid on any of this income.

It pays to live on the outskirts of Beverly Hills. No Walmart job for her.
And she is currently going to college for an advanced degree.

steeltoe

Established Member
This was the best news I read all day.
BTW in case you are wondering the real difference between full time and part time is part time doesnt have to get insurance but you can still work 40 hrs a week.

People need to stop going to college and getting stupid degrees that don't mean anything and then expect to big money. I'm stationary engineer in DC most of the other engineers I meet at 55+(I'm 28) the local union stopped teaching classes because there wasn't enough students coming through to fill the classes. I'm going to let Mike Rowe make my point on this.
Mike Rowe Asks Congress To Support More "Dirty Jobs" - YouTube

Sick03Vert

Banned
If you have a BA and apply to ten jobs you qualify for, pay well, good benefits, etc. (AKA, a career) and get none of them but still have rent at the end of the month to pay, yes, you ARE FORCED to get a job like this because very little else is out there. These employers are aware of that and take full advantage of it, oftentimes reminding employees on a daily basis.

I understand the employer/employee relationship, but that in no way condones abusive behavior.

x10000000000000000000000000000000000

Finally. Best post in any of these minimum wage threads right there.

I won't post how I feel about the whole debacle, because last time it was made clear to me that everyone on SVTP is up in the six figures range so I was the exception. I don't make minimum wage, but I don't make much more than it...and the reason why I do what I do for what I do is exactly what was said in this post.

Very well put. :beer:

Monster Mach

Established Member
On top of what you said, WalMart doesn't do full time unless you're in management. $12.50 an hour doesn't mean crap when you work part time. Go get a real job you lazy bastards.

Where did you get the full time info? I'm full time at SAMs club and I'm not a manager. I started out making rotiseriee chickens full time and still Am full time.

Walmart corp actually treats us pretty well. If your intelligent they notice. Iv been there for 90 days and got promoted to team lead for the basic fact I show up to work and never let my work fall behind. This 12.50 would be great for me. But the part time staff doesn't need 12.50 850 is fine. They act like their job is hard. The Walmart corp is actually pretty good at treating us right and paying us what we deserve. We arnt hustling our asses off. We earn what they pay us. And the local govt needs to not **** us all over. 1250 an hour would get me laid off with the hours I work

Moral is Walmart pays good. Aslong as your not a scumbag who drags your feet they will treat you handsomely. If you show you want to work they will let you and also treat you nicely. I left my last job as Cgm of red lobster because they treated me like shit. I didn't expect Walmart to treat me better but by god they treat me like I'm gold for the simple fact that I work and don't complain

Last edited:

Planter

Banned
because last time it was made clear to me that everyone on SVTP is up in the six figures range so I was the exception.

well to be fair, they all date supermodels, they all have large penises, and they live in 15,000 sq. ft houses, they all drive 900 hp 03 cobras or shelby gt500's and have a Lear Jet on standby at their local airport too. :lol1:

Coiled03

Established Member

I won't post how I feel about the whole debacle, because last time it was made clear to me that everyone on SVTP is up in the six figures range so I was the exception. I don't make minimum wage, but I don't make much more than it...and the reason why I do what I do for what I do is exactly what was said in this post.

Refer to this:

People need to stop going to college and getting stupid degrees that don't mean anything and then expect to big money.

Sick03Vert

Banned
Refer to this:

Interesting...Computer Science is a stupid degree now? I was not aware of that. Thank you. Yeah, everyone knows everything about everyone else's life and is therefore fit to make decisions and tell everyone how they are a failure and are doing it wrong. I know.

well to be fair, they all date supermodels, they all have large penises, and they live in 15,000 sq. ft houses, they all drive 900 hp 03 cobras or shelby gt500's and have a Lear Jet on standby at their local airport too. :lol1:

:lol: Very true. :beer:

rezarxt

free pizza man
Established Member

Impressive that you can afford an 03 Cobra on almost minimum wage.

Coiled03

Established Member
Interesting...Computer Science is a stupid degree now? I was not aware of that. Thank you. Yeah, everyone knows everything about everyone else's life and is therefore fit to make decisions and tell everyone how they are a failure and are doing it wrong. I know.

:lol: Very true. :beer:

I don't know if it's a stupid degree or not. I don't know much about it. What I DO know is that there are lots of degrees with fancy names that don't amount to much of anything.

Regardless, if that were a degree that's in high demand, you'd likely have a job, don't you think? Whether you or I think it's a stupid degree is somewhat irrelevant. It's the job market that determines that.

Last edited:

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
On top of what you said, WalMart doesn't do full time unless you're in management.

Not true. I'm a Tire Lube Express tech and I've been offered full time but turned it down because I don't plan on staying much longer but there are many non-management associates that are full time including most of the other techs I work with.

Users who are viewing this thread