Wait on GT500?

Wait and buy or build?

• Gt500

Votes: 14 45.2%
  • TV'S GT

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • TT GT

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Other... please explain in your reply.

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • OP, Lol

Votes: 1 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Intervention302

Established Member
My dad is semi in the same boat...

He just sold his 14 GT500 and will be selling his C6 ZR1 this Spring. He has a C7 ZR1 on order and wantes the new GT500 as well.

I brought him the option of Whippling a new GT and be 675-750whp with not all that much in mods with the A10. Would be significantly cheaper than the GT500 for sure

rolive

Established Member
Brother if they announce that Im going straight to my salesman and dropping that deposit and too hell with adm. im only living once and that bitch would look bad to the bone in front of the double wide

Gotta sport the mullet and wear the wife-beater when driving it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gr8fulmtnbiker

Established Member
saw a visually stock black ZL1 camaro parked in between a Z06 and a GT350 this weekend...if i was in the market i would be all over that thing without question. so menacing looking compared to the others...it made the vette look completely laaaaaaaaaaame. same guy owned all 3- he decided to get rid of the vette (has a 2019 ZR1 on order), keeping the camaro because he is in love with the power and handling in one, and getting rid of the 350 because he said it just does not measure up to the other two and is completely uninspired behind the wheel. wish i could have taken a picture but my damn cell phone battery had died.

Never_Enough

Established Member
saw a visually stock black ZL1 camaro parked in between a Z06 and a GT350 this weekend...if i was in the market i would be all over that thing without question. so menacing looking compared to the others...it made the vette look completely laaaaaaaaaaame. same guy owned all 3- he decided to get rid of the vette (has a 2019 ZR1 on order), keeping the camaro because he is in love with the power and handling in one, and getting rid of the 350 because he said it just does not measure up to the other two and is completely uninspired behind the wheel. wish i could have taken a picture but my damn cell phone battery had died.
The Z06 handles better than the ZL1, though, no? Pretty sure it does. If not, WTF GM?! It'll be a tough call for me as both the ZL1 & C7Z are on my short list for next toy. Really annoying that GM has boring color choices for the ZL1, though.

Gr8fulmtnbiker

Established Member
The Z06 handles better than the ZL1, though, no? Pretty sure it does. If not, WTF GM?! It'll be a tough call for me as both the ZL1 & C7Z are on my short list for next toy. Really annoying that GM has boring color choices for the ZL1, though.

Yes, he said the Z06 does handle better than the ZL1 in road course and track situations- but he loves the ZL1 rawness and power and handling all in one for his street driving. Said some of the visibility took getting used to in the ZL1. I have driven a ZL1 but not any corvettes in the past 10 years or so- gotta be honest, the ZL1 rocks. But I am not getting rid of my 2014 GT500 for one- still love that thing and have too much $ invested in it at this point- it is gonna take one heck of an animal beast to pry me away from it, and I do not see it happening for a long time if ever.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Theres an opposite story to that i heard on the Smoking Tire podcast. A hopped up ZL1 with all the goodies parked next to a Mustang, not sure if it was a 5.0 or GT350. the owners were friends and a crowd of people gathered around the cars. The owners finally asked which one they wanted. Everyone said the mustang. LOL

ZL1 is nice no doubt, but looks wise the GT350 is it. Also sales of the two show which people prefer. Camaros need all the help they can get with discounts and they are still behind in sales.

Cant wait for the GT500 to come out. Finally a new mustang after the GT350.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Performance wise it's ridiculous but I just can't get on board with the styling.
The ZL1 recommendations must have missed this!

One thing, if you get something you only kind of wanted then later on see what you really wanted driving down the road, you will hate yourself for settling.

Coiled03

Established Member
One thing, if you get something you only kind of wanted then later on see what you really wanted driving down the road, you will hate yourself for settling.

A somewhat related corollary: If you had what you wanted and sold it, then see it driving down the street, you'll hate yourself for selling.

Gr8fulmtnbiker

Established Member
My dad is semi in the same boat...

He just sold his 14 GT500 and will be selling his C6 ZR1 this Spring. He has a C7 ZR1 on order and wantes the new GT500 as well.

I brought him the option of Whippling a new GT and be 675-750whp with not all that much in mods with the A10. Would be significantly cheaper than the GT500 for sure

I feel really badly for your Dad having to make such decisions! Nobody should have to go through all that. hahaha he's a lucky guy for sure!

Intervention302

Established Member
I feel really badly for your Dad having to make such decisions! Nobody should have to go through all that. hahaha he's a lucky guy for sure!
Well he worked/still works his ass off.

He got into owning some Dairy Queens at just 21 years old. 45 years later, here he is

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

xsellr8

BANNED
Established Member
Other.

Once tuning and power adders become plentiful on the 2018's, I don't see a single reason not to consider it over a '15-17. I don't like the S550 styling and certainly don't care for the 2018, but that's where the performance is.

Resale value aside, I can't think of a single benefit the GT500 will provide moving forward, besides being faster out of the box but at a much greater cost. A blown/turbo Coyote car will outperform a stock/lightly modded GT500 when done right.

One good reason: 12:1 CR. Might make good power with little boost, but I feel you’ll be backed into a corner with what you can do with such a high CR. I guarantee ford won’t be that high CR on the GT500

OP, it’s tough. I’m sure the 500 will have some issues or it’s own and cost more money. Unfortunately, the car you’d want would be a 2020+ GT500 with bugs worked out and the aftermarket available. You’re too early to pre-order something that’s never been seen yet. Maybe ford will do a great job and have it ready, but on the other hand it could be a disappointment. I’d wait until you actually see the car

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Last edited:

nxhappy

Established Member
So I have a deposit (refundable) with a local dealer for a GT500 on an allocation but I'm REALLY getting the itch to drive a fast car again. The S197 isn't an option because I LOVE the s550 styling.

I've been pondering just buying a 15-17 GT and going with a VMP TVS or a TT kit because of the wait for a 500 and the fact that the coyote is so stout and makes retard power when boosted. Additionally, the spend would be much lower going this route. Also, I could buy a GT cash whereas I'd need a loan with the GT500.

Open to other options but they're limited because I need 4 seats.

What say you?
you need a genV viper in your life

yes, I am biased

Users who are viewing this thread