Vote in my 'free will' poll... or not, its your decision.

Do you believe in free will?

• Yes I do.

Votes: 76 83.5%
  • No I dont.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Its more complicated than that, let me explain.

Votes: 9 9.9%

• Total voters

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
it is a very complicated and fascinating subject, but personally i think it may be an illusion.

leo2hot4tv

Established Member
We do have choices to make but what guarantees us that it's not a pre-written script or "fate" if you will?

For the more tangible, scientific thinkers. Our choices are based on our personalities, so we may not be as free as we think. I might be possible to predict someones decision by knowing enough about them.

We do have choices to make but what guarantees us that it's not a pre-written script or "fate" if you will?

For the more tangible, scientific thinkers. Our choices are based on our personalities, so we may not be as free as we think. I might be possible to predict someones decision by knowing enough about them.

Well to even argue that we are just carrying out a 'pre written script' would suggest we are robots who are just carrying out the download we've been given.

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
It has always boggled my mind that someone can blindly assume something is false based upon the simple fact that he or she wouldn't like it or want it to be otherwise.

Newsflash: reality is the way it is regardless of how you feel about it.

I didn't have a choice in posting this.

:)

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Yes, but complex.

I believe we have free will to make certain choices in our life that end to a pre-set number of end results. Some people no matter what choices they make, have more negative end results than others, some have to make little to no choices to end with positive results.

We have free will to make pre-set choices basically. Kinda like voting, they give us the candidates and then make us feel like we have a choice when we put in our votes, but since they have provided us with the only possible outcomes, its a limited number of possible pre-determined results. The difference is, we do not know which choices we are making at which time that are leading to said pre-determined paths.

F1reStart3r

Flubolaids
Established Member
Free will. Unlimited choices, unlimited outcomes.

Edit: A lot of my friends, family imagine God sitting up there like a damn puppet master pulling strings. I like to imagine Him drinking beer playing ps3, or xbox, or whatever. Occasionally he glances at the computer going, OH SHIT (at whatever humanities latest idiocy produces).

Last edited:

joeg215

Readin posts, rollin eyes
Established Member
Yes, but complex.

I believe we have free will to make certain choices in our life that end to a pre-set number of end results. Some people no matter what choices they make, have more negative end results than others, some have to make little to no choices to end with positive results.

We have free will to make pre-set choices basically. Kinda like voting, they give us the candidates and then make us feel like we have a choice when we put in our votes, but since they have provided us with the only possible outcomes, its a limited number of possible pre-determined results. The difference is, we do not know which choices we are making at which time that are leading to said pre-determined paths.

You believe in a sort of deterministic world that allows free will? Interesting way to look at it. Actually, if im not mistaken, that falls in line with a compatibilist point of view. Compatibilism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
i piss off my girlfriend when i tell her "don't worry, every decision i make is right".

because in effect, it is... or, it is wrong. (or perhaps somewhere in between.)

but whatever you want to call it, i do think that it is the ONLY decision that could have possibly been made at the time.

it is the "philosophy of determinism."

Users who are viewing this thread