VMP TVS or 2.9 Whipple...?

Bulldogger

Established Member
Nope as long as you keep the hp under 700 you should be fine.

I think 700 is pushing the limit on stock injectors. I would do at least 72lb injectors or at least a boost a pump for anything above 650rwhp

Last edited:

rdsnk46

Established Member
Save your money and get exactly what you want! Hellion kit and done, only thing is while your waiting for boost, all the twin screw guys will be gone~! LOL JKING! But seriously!

Pure_Evil_GT500

LS7 BUD
Established Member
I think the compound boost setup is wicked but I'll take 700rwhp for now and when I'm ready I'll get a MMR aluminum short block then add the twin turbos... Think it's possible to make 1000rwhp on 91 safely??? Just a question boys...

Pure_Evil_GT500

LS7 BUD
Established Member
Lol.... Seeing how I have a tuner, tb, ported plenum and a 2.6 pulley should I still buy the VMP TVS for $3,500 or the FFRP TVS for $2,700 and just get it tuned...? Does the 2.6 pulley fit on the TVS...?

02GTKB

Nolimits
Established Member
I think 700 is pushing the limit on stock injectors. I would do at least 72lb injectors or at least a boost a pump for anything above 650rwhp

Maybe for '10's and older since the '11's and newer have a better fuel system, per the man at VMP.

Seahorse

Established Member

Yup, I'm below 700rwhp (DynoDynamics "numbers" though) and I was maxing the stock injectors. Went with the 72lb injectors and Justin has them dialed-in to a T; completely invisible driveability now from stock 52lb'ers. And that's another reason for going with a VMP TVS; Justin has the various TVS package's tuning nailed down.

I'm very happy with my TVS decision - wanted a decent streetable (~17lbs boost, 91 pump gas) package that was easy to install and easy to live with.

Bulldogger

Established Member
Maybe for '10's and older since the '11's and newer have a better fuel system, per the man at VMP.

Original poster has a 2010, so the information on being better safe then sorry is for him. Don't know much about the newer ones because mine is an 08 so I kinda just focus on that year.

mgmustang1

Established Member

From the frpp catalog the 2010 fuel system is different than 07-09. i think the injectors are still the same as the 11's.

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
I wouldn't say the 11 has a better fuel system. I think it's the same as before. I believe but don't quote me on this. With the 11 you have the ability to increase the FPDM (Fuel Pump Drive Module) voltage to get more out of the fuel system. Sort of like a built in BAP. Someone will correct me on that if I'm wrong.

If I had to make a decision now I would have problems. When I first set out I wanted to clear 700 rwhp and make sure that I could. I did my install in 2010 and the TVS wasn't as popular has it is now. Justin wasn't posting the numbers when I was in the market. I had the Kenne Belle and Whipple to choose from. I just didn't like the looks of the Kenne Belle at all. The TVS wasn't even in the equation then.

I choose the Whipple for looks and I talked to Lund. Has most know he is a Kenne Belle guy and told me either would make the HP. He likes the KB but if I wanted the Whipple then get what I would feel comfortable with. I chose the Whipple.

I have a friend of mine at work and if the weekend holds out weather wise ( almost have my car back together from a suspension and tire nightmare that I'm going through) were going out and do some testing. His car makes 684/673 with Justin's set up. I have 734/637 with the Whipple. Going to see how they do since we both have 3:73 gears.

I think if your looking for the down low TQ it seems to be TVS all the way. The numbers these days make me think the Whipple seems to be out gunned. The only thing that I say you would have to do is what were going to do. We will be recording IAT temps during the runs and recording all that we see. He is running 19.5-20 lbs of boost. I am only running 16.5 lbs of boost. I know the numbers that the TVS is pushing out seems great but I have never got a straight story on all the other factors.

I run a 3.25 pulley on mine and I do have 72lbs injectors, 72mm L&M TB, Whipple 123mm CAI, Dynatech LTs, and a few other mods. I do know that if I change to the 3.00 pulley according to Lund I will easily be in the 750-760 area but maxing the fuel system out. I have the Paul's HP pump assembly just haven't installed it yet. I think if your never going to build the motor the TVS would be good. If you like pushing the envelope the Whipple or KB will be the way to go.

I can say this though. The more boost you run the more of a risk you have at something going wrong. The more stress you place on parts. I think it boils down to how you want to make the 700rwhp. Do you want to do it at 16lbs or 20lbs. I can say that I don't think the stock internals would hope up long to 20lbs on a Whipple or KB for that matter. Much larger compressor that gets it done faster. Now that I think about it and all this TQ that the TVS is making. If pullied properly the Whipple would do the same thing but the HP up top would be crazy. I know that if I change the lower pulley on my car I can get it around 675+ TQ but then up top the motor would probably be in the 800rwhp range and there goes the motor lol. At the end of the day it's what makes you happy. My 2 cents. I'm sure that if I'm wrong anywhere someone will correct me. Can't wait until the weekend to see his car in action because I think after 2nd gear is over I should start the walk away if I'm not behind lol.

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
I went with the 2.9 as I have more room to grow IMO

With a 3.25 & 10% I/W, headers, 72 MM, 127 MM, 72 lb inj + BAP/ 93 tune
The tq is always present, i.e. 2100 @ 569 lbs going upwards of 680 tq

17-21 lbs boost is damn right contagious ;-)

VNMOUS1

Established Member
I was making 550+ on a dyno and 600+ on a computer (weight vs trap) on my ported Eaton.

I opted to go with the VMP TVS because I've seen so many Whipple 2.9's and others that just didn't have the poop on the low end, but made big power up top.

I wanted the low end grunt.

My TVS has the standard 2.5", a FRPP Cobra Jet 63.5mm (pretty small) TB and a IW 10% lower. Off road X off of stock manifolds. JLT 127mm intake.

The car makes 665/650 on 4.10s! I had to swap the gears to be able to make it to the end of the track! It WAS set up for 6400 rpm/130 mph on the Eaton. No way it's doing that now. I had it on the dyno Saturday and it hits 128-129 at 6400 but WAY before the end. So, 3.73s going back in this week.

I'm running 20 psi on about 18* with a little Torco in it for safe keeping. Stock injectors and a comp BAP. I'll pop 72s into it so I don't have to run the BAP. More details as it all falls into place.

I had the choice of the Whipple, a K-B, or even the FRPP fire sale units. I chose the VMP because of the ability to get it completely dialed in through Justin...the port matched blower/elbow...the snout being turned for the included 2.5".

I've seen a couple of folks with 10's and 12's that have installed this and a bigger TB and they're thrilled.

Want the ultimate "roll on"? TVS.

bj

Bulldogger

Established Member
Is that right? I thought the tune was extra.

Give him a shout I did my set-up around Christmas time, so maybe it was a package deal?? I don't know I bought all my stuff from him Dynatech LT's Hiflo Cats/ Afco dual fan H/E C&L intake, maybe I got a discount for frequent flyer miles:coolman: Give him a shout he always works something out.

2011SVT

"Oderint Dum Metuant"
Established Member
I went with the 2.9 as I have more room to grow IMO

With a 3.25 & 10% I/W, headers, 72 MM, 127 MM, 72 lb inj + BAP/ 93 tune
The tq is always present, i.e. 2100 @ 569 lbs going upwards of 680 tq

17-21 lbs boost is damn right contagious ;-)

Very nice.

I've got almost the same configuration going in next week. Whipple 2.9 w/ 10% I/W expecting 18-19 lbs. L&M 72MM, JLT 127MM MAF/Intake, 72 lb/hr injectors, ARH LTs w/ ORX.

Looking for 725 rwhp & commensurate rwtq on a 93 octane tune. I'll post up when we get 'er tuned.

Users who are viewing this thread