VMP TVS or 2.9 Whipple...?

2010 Red&white

Established Member
I went with the 2.9L Whipple and have never thought it was a bad move. The options available with KB , Whipple or TVS make this car so much fun. I don't think any system is 100% fastest or best for all uses. Have fun

GO_N_H.A.M

Established Member
I hope to never have to build my block and I hope I neve need to have that mug power but I'm hoping with the mods I have and the small amount mods I want to do before I upgrade the charger just to make sure Its running effeciently(65mm TB,heat exchangers/reservoirs).

but the mods I do have(JLT intake, kook longtube, ford catback,) would help with freeing up a nice set of ponies, I'm just hoping for about 675 whp on 93 and a custom tune. but the tvs looks like the charger I'm going with, liking the price.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
I hope to never have to build my block and I hope I neve need to have that mug power but I'm hoping with the mods I have and the small amount mods I want to do before I upgrade the charger just to make sure Its running effeciently(65mm TB,heat exchangers/reservoirs).

but the mods I do have(JLT intake, kook longtube, ford catback,) would help with freeing up a nice set of ponies, I'm just hoping for about 675 whp on 93 and a custom tune. but the tvs looks like the charger I'm going with, liking the price.

I know where you can get one! :beer:

bj

adidasUNT8

Established Member
the VMP TVS is super easy to install as well. buddy of mine and I did mine in about 80 minutes at an average speed, not rushing it. Best 80 minutes ever!

VNMOUS1

Established Member
the VMP TVS is super easy to install as well. buddy of mine and I did mine in about 80 minutes at an average speed, not rushing it. Best 80 minutes ever!

Yup, if you can turn a wrench you can have a VMP TVS on in less than 2 hours and that's stopping for a five....five dollar....five dollar foot long.

bj:rockon:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Eaton supposedly has lightweight rotors now in some of its blowers. Any chance the VMP might see this?

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
Never understand why these two blowers get compared since they are 2.3 vs 2.9. I understand the Whipple vs. KB. I will say one thing from personal experience with running a few TVS cars. They sound good spooled up. Looks to be interesting from 1st-2nd gear when both cars are hooking well. Top of 2nd and they really start to show the difference in size.

mr4teth

Established Member
WOW great topic and thanks guys!

I was actually thinking about swapping my TVS for a 2.9! But after reading this I think I'm going to keep my TVS. I have to admit I'm looking for a new project and I got caught up in those big HP numbers the 2.9's make and how easily they do it (little mods) but I guess you really have to look at the big picture. My TVS car is an absolute BLAST to drive and I think its the bottom end grunt that makes it so much fun. That being said no 2.9 for me ... unless someone can tell me differently?

Last edited:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
WOW great topic and thanks guys!

I was actually thinking about swapping my TVS for a 2.9! But after reading this I think I'm going to keep my TVS. I have to admit I'm looking for a new project and I got caught up in those big HP numbers the 2.9's make and how easily they do it (little mods) but I guess you really have to look at the big picture. My TVS car is an absolute BLAST to drive and I think its the bottom end grunt that makes it so much fun. That being said no 2.9 for me ... unless someone can tell me differently?

morepower.png

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
You can never tell on paper or convince someone. When they lose money on a race then they start to understand.

redirocrt92

Established Member
Never understand why these two blowers get compared since they are 2.3 vs 2.9. I understand the Whipple vs. KB. I will say one thing from personal experience with running a few TVS cars. They sound good spooled up. Looks to be interesting from 1st-2nd gear when both cars are hooking well. Top of 2nd and they really start to show the difference in size.

Is it a big difference? I would like to see a Whipple/KB do a highway pull against a TVS with similar HP. I figure the TVS creates more heat, but thought the torque would let it jump out for a bit. Does anyone have 60 to 130 times for each setup?

BigDan

Established Member
Are you in a CARB state?

FRPP Whipple is 50 state CARB certified with an EO number, VMP TVS does not.

Last edited:

doublex

First Blown 'Stang
Established Member
Not that important for most people, but another difference is that the Whipple is available in a polished version.

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
I have ran a few TVS cars. Never ran a KB one yet. The numbers look great on paper and the dyno. I had to drag a TVS car around for over 80 miles one day risking losing license becuase he just couldn't understand. TVS even made more TQ. 1st to 2nd was real interesting. He jumped about 1/2 to 3/4 of a car every time but couldn't hold anything. To prove it was nothing there did a few 3rd gear pulls and couldn't even see the extra TQ because the Whipple pulled off.

From a light it would get out there about a car in 1st. Start losing it in 2nd and get ran over top of in 3rd. I like to read the post of them and all the great numbers but once you get past 2nd they will just not keep you out there. TQ is great for getting a car moving but HP produces MPH. Only ran 2 and drug them both after 2nd. Just the one with heavy mods held on through 2nd. From 3rd on it's no comparison. That's with less boost on the 2.9 and no lower pulley.

One day people will learn when you spin a small blower like crazy doesn't mean that your going to beat a bigger blower. Yes they are nice budget blowers and make super TQ on the dyno and paper. Get out there in the upper gears pulling 6,500 rpm shifts and they just can't hold the larger blowers off. Would love to play around with a KB car but there are none in my area with similiar mods to get a good comparison. There might be a reason the Whipple/KB aren't installing the lower pulleys like the TVS guys are. Just my .0001 cents and experience. I can say one thing for the car that I ran. I REALLY EXPECTED MORE

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
David how much power did your car make?

I might be a little low on power compared to you but might give you an idea

GO_N_H.A.M

Established Member
I'm would think dyno graphs would be a nice visual as to the power the TVS makes and holds up top, they advertise them to make so much more power but the average i see is 650-675 whp.

Last edited:

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
734/651 on Torco with pump gas. Only difference between then and now is the gearing. I'm up for whatever but not switching to KB LOL I like the T FAL look

Gojira

Established Member
@ Pure-evil, if you are going for a compound turbo system down the road you you have no other choice but to go with the TVS or keep the stocker. The Whipple (and KB) is a screw blower, meaning the rotors are male and female. Screw blowers compress the air before it goes into the intake. Unlike the stock Eaton and Eaton TVS (roots blowers) that scoop the air and throw it into the intake.

This makes roots blowers good candidates for a compound setup as the charge-air from the turbos can pass through the rotors and walls of the blower, kind of working together, as rpm, air volume etc increase. In contrast the Whipple and KB blowers, since the case and rotors matting need to be airtight to compress the air, are not conducive to compound set ups. A screw blower will actually be a restriction to the turbos and will make less horsepower. A compound setup with a screw blower at 20lbs of boost will make about 100hp less than with a roots blower. As boost levels increase this gap will usually increase as well.

Look at the compound set ups with the FordGT which comes with the TVS from the factory. They make mad power with the turbos blowing into the TVS.

slowbra1

Established Member
More good info

@ Pure-evil, if you are going for a compound turbo system down the road you you have no other choice but to go with the TVS or keep the stocker. The Whipple (and KB) is a screw blower, meaning the rotors are male and female. Screw blowers compress the air before it goes into the intake. Unlike the stock Eaton and Eaton TVS (roots blowers) that scoop the air and throw it into the intake.

This makes roots blowers good candidates for a compound setup as the charge-air from the turbos can pass through the rotors and walls of the blower, kind of working together, as rpm, air volume etc increase. In contrast the Whipple and KB blowers, since the case and rotors matting need to be airtight to compress the air, are not conducive to compound set ups. A screw blower will actually be a restriction to the turbos and will make less horsepower. A compound setup with a screw blower at 20lbs of boost will make about 100hp less than with a roots blower. As boost levels increase this gap will usually increase as well.

Look at the compound set ups with the FordGT which comes with the TVS from the factory. They make mad power with the turbos blowing into the TVS.

This has been an excellent thread with great info

Users who are viewing this thread