Vmp gen 2r or Whipple 2.9?

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I have no experience with a 2650 but from every dyno sheet I have seen thus far (gt500 only) it appears as though the results are that when compared to the 2.3L, the torque curve is less dramatic. Looks like a previous generation twin screw. Ramps up rather that unleashing it all at the hit. More peak power, but less bottom.
I agree with that, and I've made that observation here before. But when I've seen that, it's mostly on 5.4s with only bolt-ons. I think it's an example of too big a blower in near stock configuration, just like the bigger screws. I have not seen any graphs on near stock 5.8s with the 2650, only the built one I linked previously.

On the other hand, I have not seen the Whipple Gen 3 dyno on a similarly configured car, only BJ's graph's for Christine. Not that BJ's budget build is a fair comparison to the L&M prepped engine in the video, but I graphed the two results just to show how comparable these blowers seem to be, to me anyway. I guess the biggest differences between the two builds is the VMP car is a 5.8 and BJ has a mildly bored out 5.4. BJ is running L&M's NSR cams and the VMP car is running L&M competition cams and valve springs. The competition version of the cams may have similar duration, but would have more aggressive ramps and higher lift. They should produce more power than an NSR cam. Advantage VMP car in terms of power output based solely on the build and it shows up in the dynos. I wish I had boost data but I don't.

This overlay is simply my poor old eyes deciphering numbers from the charts. My torque figures are formula driven by horsepower and rpm. It's just a simple analysis to analyze torque curves of two different blowers on two modified engines that can utilize these blowers potential.

Gen 3 Comparo.jpg

boduke0220

Established Member
I agree the TVS is probably best for a stock bottom end car but ( Just adding info, I have no bias) the fastest stock bottom end 13/14 GT500 in the standing mile runs a 3.4 whipple. Built by Jordan Weir

4VandHemiKiller

Established Member
Swapping to a Gen 3 Whipple 2.9 directly from Gen 2 Whipple 2.9 w same pulley setup netted my 13’ combo 48rwhp/26rwtq AVERAGE from 3300rpms - 7000rpms. The Gen 3 made the car feel like I swapped rear gears..much lighter, more responsive, faster revving. Overall just a higher quality powerband. No idea how that would compare to a VMP 2650 but I imagine relatively similar all else being equal. If it’s 10hp - 20hp more as you hypothesize that’s hardly material given variations in combos that may work better or worse w a given blowers characteristics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's generally the case when you pick up power.
I know the Gen 3 picks up over the Gen 2, I'm speaking more in regards about the shape of the power-band as it related to rotor speed.
I'd be interested to see your Gen 2/Gen 3 graphs overlayed.

CD07GT500

Klaus's Bitch
Established Member
I agree with that, and I've made that observation here before. But when I've seen that, it's mostly on 5.4s with only bolt-ons. I think it's an example of too big a blower in near stock configuration, just like the bigger screws. I have not seen any graphs on near stock 5.8s with the 2650, only the built one I linked previously.

On the other hand, I have not seen the Whipple Gen 3 dyno on a similarly configured car, only BJ's graph's for Christine. Not that BJ's budget build is a fair comparison to the L&M prepped engine in the video, but I graphed the two results just to show how comparable these blowers seem to be, to me anyway. I guess the biggest differences between the two builds is the VMP car is a 5.8 and BJ has a mildly bored out 5.4. BJ is running L&M's NSR cams and the VMP car is running L&M competition cams and valve springs. The competition version of the cams may have similar duration, but would have more aggressive ramps and higher lift. They should produce more power than an NSR cam. Advantage VMP car in terms of power output based solely on the build and it shows up in the dynos. I wish I had boost data but I don't.

This overlay is simply my poor old eyes deciphering numbers from the charts. My torque figures are formula driven by horsepower and rpm. It's just a simple analysis to analyze torque curves of two different blowers on two modified engines that can utilize these blowers potential.

View attachment 1507694

That 5.8 car that made 1028sae with 2650 is pretty similar to Bjs combo. IIRC it saw 21lbs or so.

4VandHemiKiller

Established Member
I agree with that, and I've made that observation here before. But when I've seen that, it's mostly on 5.4s with only bolt-ons. I think it's an example of too big a blower in near stock configuration, just like the bigger screws.

That's exactly what it is. The TVS is not immune to this reality.

Users who are viewing this thread