Vmp gen 2r or Whipple 2.9?

Streetpwr281

Established Member
Ok so you made the swap with not other changes? Same t/b and pulley sizes on a dynojet?

Mustang Dyno actually. Same pulley, Same TB. Did remove SW hi-flo cats for cat delete pipes but the cats were straight through design so I’m doubting much from that. Gen 3’s on GT350’s and S550 GT’s seeing 50rwhp+ from the upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Streetpwr281

Established Member

I found it but it’s printed on red paper in red ink and has faded so you can’t make it out. I can make out a note that from 3300rpms - 7000rpms it gained an avg of 48rwhp/29rwtq. Entire curve is evenly elevated. Much more efficient Supercharger.

naph32

Established Member
This BPS ported 2R made 965rwhp SAE on E85.

The 1320 ported/welded stock Trinity 2.3 made 755rwhp SAE pump 93 stock 5.8 and 930rwhp SAE E85 built 5.8

These are my personal results nothing shop sponsored.

Both are for sale.
We were going big Whipples but for this year will do maximized Gen3 TVS2650 and if that’s not enough maybe big Whipples next year.
-J

Send me a dm I’m interested.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
For your goals and future goals, invest in the Gen 3 Whipple. Spend the extra $500 and get the 3.4L Gen 3. Should be out now. You can pulley up or down as you need to should you decide to run race gas or even decide on E85 in the future. The extra .5L gives you a better top end power ability for race fuels, but pulley down to pump gas safe boost and still have a more efficient blower. Bigger blower= spin slower for same boost=cooler IAT2.

Downside is you need to clearance with motor mounts or K-member spacers. Gains would be pretty good for the cost and effort. I still personally want a Whipple 4.0L lmao!

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
I went from a trinity tvs to a whipple 2.9 on a 16-17 psi pump gas street setup. Just swapping blowers i picked up about 25whp but lost around 50 torque. The whipple was marginally faster but a more involved install as well. Unless your spinning it above 19-20 psi and running e85 or race gas the added expense isn't worth it imo. Tvs makes more than enough power for the stock block and easiest install. Idk even if the 2650 is worth it if your just going to spin it slow.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I went from a trinity tvs to a whipple 2.9 on a 16-17 psi pump gas street setup. Just swapping blowers i picked up about 25whp but lost around 50 torque. The whipple was marginally faster but a more involved install as well. Unless your spinning it above 19-20 psi and running e85 or race gas the added expense isn't worth it imo. Tvs makes more than enough power for the stock block and easiest install. Idk even if the 2650 is worth it if your just going to spin it slow.
This all day.
I feel for guys who are stuck with pump 91/93 as E85 makes not only more power but safer.
You hit the nail on head, for a low boost setup, the added torque and response of the 2.3 TVS will be more than enough and probably the faster combo.
These are 4000# stick cars, they need instant torque to get moving and the maximized 2.3 TVS is hard to beat.
Not to be that guy, but I'm posted two maxed out 2.3s in the marketplace now and they are better value.
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
For your goals and future goals, invest in the Gen 3 Whipple. Spend the extra $500 and get the 3.4L Gen 3. Should be out now. You can pulley up or down as you need to should you decide to run race gas or even decide on E85 in the future. The extra .5L gives you a better top end power ability for race fuels, but pulley down to pump gas safe boost and still have a more efficient blower. Bigger blower= spin slower for same boost=cooler IAT2.

Downside is you need to clearance with motor mounts or K-member spacers. Gains would be pretty good for the cost and effort. I still personally want a Whipple 4.0L lmao!
Hell, the 4.0 Whipple is $500 more than 3.4 and same case height, so that was my plan.
My tuner and I both recently decided to skip the Whipple plans at least for now, and both our maxed 2.3s (930rwhp ported/welded Trinity and 965rwhp ported 2R) will be swapped for VMP Gen3s.
If that's not enough, then maybe 4.0 Whipple next year, but we both at point where about 100rwhp is all we're looking for our goals, and don't want to give up the TVS torque hit.
-J

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Hell, the 4.0 Whipple is $500 more than 3.4 and same case height, so that was my plan.
My tuner and I both recently decided to skip the Whipple plans at least for now, and both our maxed 2.3s (930rwhp ported/welded Trinity and 965rwhp ported 2R) will be swapped for VMP Gen3s.
If that's not enough, then maybe 4.0 Whipple next year, but we both at point where about 100rwhp is all we're looking for our goals, and don't want to give up the TVS torque hit.
-J
F it, 4.5L Whipple. Beat everyone and rotate the Earth lol

Streetpwr281

Established Member
-J

So I will eventually build my 5.8 but don’t want to lower engine or add aftermarket hood to accommodate a 3.4L or larger. I’ve been there before and didn’t like the NVH of aftermarket k-member nor the lowered geometry. Question is...is there an opportunity to have 1320 Junkie or BPS weld/port the Whipple 2.9L Gen 3 when I do build motor?

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
The weld is not really necessary on the TVS 2R or 3. This was done to remove the bump needed for clearance cast into the plenum for the EGR valve's vacuum diaphragm. Both of VMP's later versions have a relocated EGR valve that don't have provision for that hump. So yes, they can be ported, but I'm not sure porting is as beneficial to these as the previous superchargers. There's just not a significant amount of metal to be removed and the transitional ports to the rotors have been improved by the case design itself.

I had 1320junkie port my Gen II. He removed the bump and relocated the EGR mounting tab. The tubes are quite a bit more challenging to line up and tighten, that I ended up bending mine in several locations to get it to fit. I found one of the few unmolested tubes on ebay to replace it, if I anyone ever wanted to return the car to stock (it won't be me). I just got though mounting up the Gen 3 (TVS) this weekend. I tried it with the new EGR tube, but after screwing around with trying to get it for for a few hours. I removed it and tried it with my modified tube. It fit like it was made for it. I probably need to start a thread on that process because it's a much more complicated process than the Gen I and Gen II were to mount. I never went to the 2R when I heard the 2650 was in the pipeline, but I hear it got issues with the EGR tube as well.

merkyworks

Established Member
I can confirm the Gen 2R was a PITA when it came to mounting the EGR. I had to do a little persuasive bending of the tube in order for it to thread into the valve. Later down the road when I swapped LT's on I just said F it and deleted the EGR all together.

Users who are viewing this thread