EditorTurner

Established Member
0-Lethal-First-Supercharged-Sheby-GT350-Ride-Featured.jpg

Twin-Screw Voodoo
Riding shotgun in the first Whipple-boosted 2016 Shelby GT350
By Steve Turner

A push of the red button and the Voodoo 5.2 comes alive. The exhaust burbles and rumbles through fully opened mufflers. It’s not until we pull away with some more generous application of the throttle that the true nature of Lethal Performance’s latest project reveals itself. Yes, this is a 2016 Shelby GT350, but as its free-flowing pipes expel the burnt E85 there is just a hint of something else under the hood—a 2.9-liter Whipple supercharger.

Regular readers know that Lethal recently became the first outfit to supercharge the new Shelby’s Flat-Plane-Crank 5.2-liter V-8. This was not without trepidation, as many postulated that this high-winding engine could never survive having something added to its carefully balanced front engine accessory drive, much less being boosted. As we now know, the Lethal GT350 readily accepted over 11 pounds of boost and produced over 800 horsepower at the rear wheels.

As Lethal’s Jared Rosen drives us around in the supercharged Shelby, the car proves amazingly docile. He reports that the car’s calibration is still a work in progress, but the GT350 doesn’t seem to mind having a supercharger atop its engine. In fact, it seems to revel in it. To learn how this boosted GT350 compares with previous Lethal projects and more, watch our in-car interview right here…

[video=youtube;-w7Hj9hTM0Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-w7Hj9hTM0Y[/video]

There are few places on a crisp, overcast afternoon in South Florida that provide the space to indulge in what a Whipplecharged GT350 has to offer, but when presented with a piece of open highway, Jared puts his foot to the floor. The experience is both familiar and fresh. Whether it’s the gearing or the characteristics of this highly developed machine, the torque hit is a swell rather than a brute-force punch of a Whipple GT500. However, as the rpm climbs we are pinned in the seat like a passenger on a rocket. There isn’t room to reach the top of the tach, but this combo just wants to keep pulling.

Along the way we made a pit stop to fill the tank with more of those sweet corn squeezings, the E85 smells like horsepower and we can’t help put reflect on how great the supercharged Shelby feels. Having that kind of pull under your right foot is as intoxicating as a barrel full of E85. However, to really get the full experience, you’d need a long stretch of open asphalt.

The next stop for the Lethal GT350 is, of course, the drag strip. If the 5.2-liter engine will continue to accept 11 pounds of boost and the clutch will hang on during Jeremy Martorella’s power-shifts, the hot shoe fully expects the car to dip into the 9-second range. We shall soon see…

1-Lethal-First-Supercharged-Sheby-GT350-Ride.jpg

Lethal Performance continues to push the envelope of Ford performance with its project cars and we took a ride with one of its principals, Jared Rosen, to see what a Whipple-supercharged Shelby GT350 feels like.

2-Lethal-First-Supercharged-Sheby-GT350-Ride.jpg

While many purists seem to find it sacrilegious to boost a road course-oriented car like the latest GT350, one ride in Lethal Performance’s Whipple-supercharged Shelby might just change their opinions.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
While many purists seem to find it sacrilegious to boost a road course-oriented car like the latest GT350, one ride in Lethal Performance’s Whipple-supercharged Shelby might just change their opinions.

Not unless that ride is at a track day on a road course. A supercharger and its inherent heat soak is sub-optimal for a road course car. If someone just has to blow their Voodoo and still use it for a road course car, a turbo makes much more sense.

Last edited:

ExTurbo

Established Member
Not unless that ride is at a track day on a road course. A supercharger and it's inherent heat soak is sub-optimal for a road course car. If someone just has to blow their Voodoo and still use it for a road course car, a turbo makes much more sense.

I had the opportunity to drive a GT350R around limerock back in september for the GT350 Track tour, i have to say the car was amazing as is, i cant imagine it would be as much fun pedaling the car around a track with all that extra power, not to mention the weight on the front end. The old expression, "its more fun to drive a slow car fast than to drive a fast car slow" comes to mind here. In this case slow just happens to be 500+ Hp.

Personally if they are just gonna be running it on a highway or drag strip, it makes so much more sense to just put a tremec behind a 5.0 and you can basically get the same car. To turn a 5.0 into a car thats as capable around a road course as the GT350 would take a lot more than just bolting on a supercharger. seems like they did this because they could rather than because it made sense.

Last edited:

Derek@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I haven't seen any vids of it going wide open throttle to the 8250 rpm red line, does it exist?

We are not pulling it past 8k with the blower. It touches 7900 or so now, but power is still climbing on the dyno even at that RPM.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
I love it! I was following this on another Mustang forum.
Keep us posted on your updates please. This just adds to the list of cars that I will be interested in the future as well as the HC Challenger, GT500???? or possibly modding the crap out of a S550. A supercharged GT350R would be awesome though. (I wouldn't run the E85, 93 octane for me. Obviously less power, but I'm sure it'll be about 700 or more at the rear wheels with gobs of tq. with 93 octane.)

Rios302

Established Member
I am more interested in a full bolt on naturally aspirated GT350 and what kind of numbers it puts down. Slapping a supercharger to it seems to defeat the purpose of the GT350 but what do I care, it ain't my car.

Zemedici

Established Member
I am more interested in a full bolt on naturally aspirated GT350 and what kind of numbers it puts down. Slapping a supercharger to it seems to defeat the purpose of the GT350 but what do I care, it ain't my car.

I'd tend to agree with this, based on the piston design on the VooDoo.

liter of cola

Established Member
if the motor can handle it I'd have no problem slappin one on... if the next gt500 uses the voodoo, it will basically be just that. although i'm expecting a new coyote variant. maybe a big block 5.4 version, that would be the tits, but it will prolly just be a 5.0 with some changed internals like the roadrunner just optimized for SC durability.

Last edited:

Willie2

Established Member
Premium Member
Did you guys find a clutch/rear gear combo that'll hold the power this car makes and put it to the ground?

Users who are viewing this thread