Vacation to Ireland

LS WUT

Established Member
What’s up gents, so I’ve been talking with my brother for years about wanting to visit Ireland and check out our heritage and such. My father used to tell us stories as a kid about us having our own “signia” of some sort that was related to our great, great grandfather. Our last name before coming to America’s was “O’Daugherty” obviously the O was dropped for some reason.

Without making this a lengthy post. Has anyone ever visited anywhere in Ireland, or even towards the parts of Dublin? It’s been a dream to go. I’m gonna ask my aunt if she had any idea of where exactly my family came from.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
My mother and father-in-law have been and loved it.

My wife and I want to go, will probably wait five years and go on my next bonus week year.

My wife knows that we have to go during the Isle of Man TT and at least go for a day to watch that insanity.

I want to do a 2-3 week trip though as I want to hit some of the historic WWII places. Plus she will want to visit family in Germany.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
What’s up gents, so I’ve been talking with my brother for years about wanting to visit Ireland and check out our heritage and such. My father used to tell us stories as a kid about us having our own “signia” of some sort that was related to our great, great grandfather. Our last name before coming to America’s was “O’Daugherty” obviously the O was dropped for some reason.

Without making this a lengthy post. Has anyone ever visited anywhere in Ireland, or even towards the parts of Dublin? It’s been a dream to go. I’m gonna ask my aunt if she had any idea of where exactly my family came from.
Nice knowing you, you'll come back dead.

LS WUT

Established Member
My mother and father-in-law have been and loved it.

My wife and I want to go, will probably wait five years and go on my next bonus week year.

My wife knows that we have to go during the Isle of Man TT and at least go for a day to watch that insanity.

I want to do a 2-3 week trip though as I want to hit some of the historic WWII places. Plus she will want to visit family in Germany.

That’s awesome, my Sister and I were watching a show called “mysteries of the abandoned” there was an episode from Wales UK. It was awesome to see the castles and such. Would love to see some historical stuff of that nature.

I was thinking maybe 2 weeks or so to be able to visit it all and check out some stuff. Might as well get my moneys worth since it’s like $3,300 a ticket.

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
My wife went to visit her hot sister in Dublin a few months ago. They had a great time. They kissed the Blarney Stone and hit some old distilleries. It’s a beautiful country.

MG0h3

Established Member
Just do it and give us some feedback.

I’m with James. Isle of Man TT is a must.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
With that last name, you could be related to my in-laws. They actually own a house somewhere over there.

You should probably prep yourself by watching the series Derry Girls on Netflix. That way, you'll have a small chance of understanding people over there.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
R.jpg

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
I have never been. Parents went and checked out where some of our descendants came from in County Cork. Brother and SIL went and looked up some of her peeps that were still living. They were around Galway. Turns out some of the family had a commercial fishing business and my Bro went out with the Gordon’s fishing guy on a trip. Sounded like good times. Wife’s company has a plant in Limerick. She has been a half dozen times and really likes it. I need to get over there.

JimCSHO

Established Member
We went to Ireland a couple of years ago, great trip. In Dublin we stopped to walk the Ha' Penny Bridge, that was where my grandparents used to meet every day when they were dating. We couldn't find the street where their house used to be.

If you do the Jameson tour stick close to the tour guide and ask questions. At the end of the tour she will ask for volunteers and you get to sample several whiskeys and get a certificate as a "trained whiskey taster".

The Cliffs of Moehr are beautiful and worth seeing. Of course you have to visit Blarney Castle.

LS WUT

Established Member
We went to Ireland a couple of years ago, great trip. In Dublin we stopped to walk the Ha' Penny Bridge, that was where my grandparents used to meet every day when they were dating. We couldn't find the street where their house used to be.

If you do the Jameson tour stick close to the tour guide and ask questions. At the end of the tour she will ask for volunteers and you get to sample several whiskeys and get a certificate as a "trained whiskey taster".

The Cliffs of Moehr are beautiful and worth seeing. Of course you have to visit Blarney Castle.
Awesome feedback man! I can’t wait for it! Thanks for the tips!

LS WUT

Established Member
I have never been. Parents went and checked out where some of our descendants came from in County Cork. Brother and SIL went and looked up some of her peeps that were still living. They were around Galway. Turns out some of the family had a commercial fishing business and my Bro went out with the Gordon’s fishing guy on a trip. Sounded like good times. Wife’s company has a plant in Limerick. She has been a half dozen times and really likes it. I need to get over there.
For sure man! I’ve seen photos of Limerick it looks awesome !

LS WUT

Established Member
With that last name, you could be related to my in-laws. They actually own a house somewhere over there.

You should probably prep yourself by watching the series Derry Girls on Netflix. That way, you'll have a small chance of understanding people over there.
Hell yes! I’ve been told my last name is fairly popular on that side of the world. I’d love to meet some family members without doing the government 23 and me lol.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Friend of mine and his wife went for a month I think. They loved it. But he's a drinker so he fit right in. They did the Jameson tour as well. He said if they could figure out how, they'd move there in a heart beat.

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
so I’ve been talking with my brother for years about wanting to visit Ireland and check out our heritage and such
You’re white? Yeah you visit your ‘heritage’ over there in the woods with the rest of the honkey cats and pay no mind to the heritage and struggles endured by some other group in this country.

bluebosss197

im did asbestos i can
Established Member
Dingle Peninsula, Ring of Kerry, Cliffs of Moher, Rock of Cashel, Healy Pass, Conor Pass, any early house(morning pub) in Cork, Giant's Causeway are all great. I wouldn't bring up heritage unless a local asks you about it. You'll just get an eye roll otherwise. Best time to visit is in the dead of Winter(no tourists). Also, Dublin is a shithole now with the third world pouring in, so it's only worth a stay for a day or two. The least populous county is Donegal, if you value alone time. Really, the more rural parts are where you get the charm of Ireland.

I don't know how long you were planning to go, but I'd recommend at least 10 days to 2 weeks to get a good feel for the country. I'm planning on going back over once I finish my CFI next year. I was in Scotland back in December and flew into and out of Dublin on Aer Lingus because it's nice and cheap. But I must re-iterate Dublin was apalling how not white parts of it were/are. But if you must, yeah the Jameson distillery is cool, the Guiness tour is really ****ing gay. It's not even a tour of the working part of the brewery, just the old building with displays and giftshops. The top of it has a pub and having the freshest Guiness you'll ever have plus a view of the entire city is pretty cool. I'd say Cork, Galway and Limerick are a better time for night life than Dublin. Don't discount Northern Ireland either. You can just waltz over the border, no big deal, though the rental company tacks on like 100 bucks if you tell them you plan to go up North.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
We spent 8 days in Northern Ireland. Absolutely beautiful country, and all of the people we met were incredibly nice. It's very clean, you don't see much trash or liter, even in Belfast. Lots of cool historical things to see, and if you like Game of Thrones, there's a lot of tours focused around the series. The Bushmills Whiskey distillery is really cool to see as well.

Users who are viewing this thread