Universal Dual Pass HE Install

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
I had a single pass Afco and it was leaking a little. So I decided to do something other than the norm. I bought a universal dual pass 3.5" core off ebay. It was $200 delivered and is a bar and plate design. The downfall is the weight. It's 18 lbs but will withstand hits from rocks better than a tube & fin design.

Here is the link to the unit: Water to Air Radiator, 26x7x3.5
It has a temp sensor bung and a drain valve a the bottom of it. I cut 2 of the mounting tabs off the bottom and made a bracket that wraps around the bottom of it to help support it.

Here are some numbers. These only consider core size since I can't actually measure the volume of the actual water channels. Looking at them visually I can say the water channel inside height dimensions are close to the same:

Afco core is actually 2.25" The top support plate is 2.5" but the core is actually 2.25"
2.25 T x 23.5 L x 6 H = 317.25

Ebay core
Core is a true 3.5" thick
3.5 T x 24 L x 7 H = 588
Now divide that 588 by 2 since it's a dbl pass unit. 294

I have 294 of flow for twice the length than that Afco had. So it flows around the same volume for twice the length. I will bet you that negates the loss of efficiency with the air going thru a thicker core.

Summer is almost here in Vegas. I will do some datalogs in the coming months and post my findings.

Now on to the pics. The black HE in the photo is a painted single pass Afco. I made the bracket that wraps around the new HE with some aluminum stock and a torch. There is a small bead of urethane along the length of the bracket to keep the bracket from moving around. You will have to relocate your OEM power steering cooler core. This new HE is so thick the back of it will be hitting the core. I just flipped mine up and mounted it to the radiator support.

You will also need to buy (2) 1/2" NPT to 3/4" Hose Barb fittings. Here are the ones I used as an example http://www.summitracing.com/parts/GAR-J9005

IMAG1319.jpg

IMAG1321.jpg

IMAG1322.jpg

IMAG1342.jpg

IMAG1343.jpg

IMAG1346.jpg

IMAG1350.jpg

IMAG1351.jpg

IMAG1352.jpg

IMAG1354.jpg

IMAG1355.jpg

IMAG1357.jpg

IMAG1358.jpg

IMAG1359.jpg

Last edited:

Digital

Established Member
More people should do this. Afco and shit is over priced. You can buy massive units on ebay for nothing and just modify them with a bit of time to fit your setups.
It's just a tube filled with water after all. Don't tell anyone though *eye roll*

sabotage

corn fed!!!!!!
Established Member
when i was reading Ebay.....I expected to see something shitty ....but dam that looks really good,...........looks really good without the HE brackets

Last edited:

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
In for the data logging. That does look stout as heck too, Im always worried about something punching through my HE.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Nice job earico :thumbsup:

Were you able to seal the gaps around the HE to force the air thru it and not around it? The thicker core will be a bit more resistant where sealing around it will make it more effective.

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
the final result/pics of it installed, look damn good!

i prob need to do something with my stocker before too much longer. since the car has been my year round DD for years, my HE has a bunch of dings and dents..so it looks kind of rough. no leaks though (knock on wood)...although i do occasionally worry about a rock putting a hole in it. hasnt happened yet though!

earico

Established Member
Thanks for all the comments fellas. I just figured I try something different instead of the followed path. I love the way it came out.

The 2 welded tabs might be enough to hold it in place but the extra bracket I made for it made it much sturdier. I cut the 2 tabs off the bottom because I would hate to have them get hung on a speed bump since my car is lowered.

Nice job earico :thumbsup:

Were you able to seal the gaps around the HE to force the air thru it and not around it? The thicker core will be a bit more resistant where sealing around it will make it more effective.

Thanks, Slow. I'm going to do some datalogs in 100 degree heat without it boxed in first. Then I would like to get some datalogs with it boxed in. I will probably just box it in with some duct tape for testing purposes and then come back and do it the correct way. Boxing it in should be fairly easy because it fits in the opening very well already.

earico

Established Member
Someone asked so here it is.

101 degrees today at the time I took this. Car up to full temp for 30 minutes. Took this screen shot.

HE is still not boxed. OEM res & OEM pump (new one). A/C on too. 2.93 upper 4# lower unported Eaton. K&N FPIK RAI.

IAT2-101TEMP.jpg

Last edited:

SlowSVT

Established Member

101 degrees today at the time I took this. Car up to full temp for 30 minutes. Took this screen shot.

HE is still not boxed. OEM res & OEM pump (new one). A/C on too. 2.93 upper 4# lower unported Eaton. K&N FPIK RAI.

IAT2-101TEMP.jpg

Cool :rockon:

This reading appears to have been taken when the engine is in vacuum. Under boost the IA temps will be a lot higher and the HE will show a much greater temperature differential. Can you get a screen shot at full boost?

Real world results always trump theory but that is a good place to start.

This could get interesting :coolman:

earico

Established Member
Cool :rockon:

This reading appears to have been taken when the engine is in vacuum. Under boost the IA temps will be a lot higher and the HE will show a much greater temperature differential. Can you get a screen shot at full boost?

Real world results always trump theory but that is a good place to start.

This could get interesting :coolman:

Can't got WOT yet because the car only has a base tune on it right now. It's going to be a month before I can. Then the week after its tuned a new blower is going on.

Then I will do some WOT logs and see what the temp reaches and how long it takes for it to recover. Then I will box it in and see what that does. All this is about 2 months out though. I'll definitely keep you guys posted.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Can't got WOT yet because the car only has a base tune on it right now. It's going to be a month before I can. Then the week after its tuned a new blower is going on.

Then I will do some WOT logs and see what the temp reaches and how long it takes for it to recover. Then I will box it in and see what that does. All this is about 2 months out though. I'll definitely keep you guys posted.

sounds like a plan :thumbsup:

............wait a minute, 2 MONTHS! That's like waiting to find out who shot JR :cuss:

JK, do right, take your time

earico

Established Member
sounds like a plan :thumbsup:

............wait a minute, 2 MONTHS! That's like waiting to find out who shot JR :cuss:

JK, do right, take your time

ROFL! I used to watch JR with grandma when I was a kid. Good times. LOL

The dyno where I tune at...Dynojet the maker of the dynos...is freaking remodeling the floor and it's 3 weeks from being finished. BELIEVE ME...I want to know sooner too! :bash:

jrd699

All men not created equal
Established Member

IAT2-101TEMP.jpg

You have a baseline before install?

earico

Established Member
You have a baseline before install?

Unfortunately no.

The Afco had a small leak and had been bent back some so it was not hitting the air at 90 degrees in the vertical plane. So I didn't see a reason to fix it since I just wanted to replace it.

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member

IAT2-101TEMP.jpg

I've seen a lot of info on this lately, but I don't know what this app/hardware is called. Is it the one that plugs into the OBDII and sends the info to an iPhone/smartphone? What' the name?

earico

Established Member
I've seen a lot of info on this lately, but I don't know what this app/hardware is called. Is it the one that plugs into the OBDII and sends the info to an iPhone/smartphone? What' the name?

Yes. It's Torque for Android. Rev is for iPhone but it is dead now. They aren't updating it. Torque gets updates weekly.

All those gauges are customizable. Think of it as a computer desktop. I set all those up and picked the type of gauge and it's size. It'll read any PID. All those were in the list except IAT2. I had to add that PID.

Also do you see that little red tick at 150 on the IAT2? I have 150 degrees set as an audible alarm to notify me in case I didn't notice it was that high. You can set alarms for anything. Ultimately I want an Android head unit running Torq.

It will datalog too.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread