Universal Dual Pass HE Install

SVTDice

Established Member
This looks like a very solid piece. I may have to consider replacing my Afco Pro H/E Dual pass because its all beat up. I wonder what the dimensions are in comparison. Anybody have them on hand or should I grab the dimensions later this week?

Either way though, I'm going to do some logging with my Afco dual pass and i'll post back.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Do they make a valve to bypass the intercooler when the killer chiller is turned off? Like maybe just cruising on a cool evening and you don't care to have the a/c on. I've seen such a bypass valve mentioned many times on the forum but always as a hypothetical option. Is there actually one? how does it work? links?

Thanks

stonemonk9

Established Member
Any update on this? I just picked this HE up today and I'm curious as to what size hose and fittings you used? Just want to have everything on hand when I take it apart. Thanks!

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
Any update on this? I just picked this HE up today and I'm curious as to what size hose and fittings you used? Just want to have everything on hand when I take it apart. Thanks!

Unfortunately I have been slammed with work and haven't had a chance to get my car tuned and get more data.

You need (2) 1/2" npt to 3/4" hose fittings. Then I just went to Oreilly and bought like 6' of 3/4" heater hose. The bracket I made out of some aluminum flat bar from Lowe's.

Good luck! :beer:

Oh and I reused some of the rubber elbows that were on the OEM lines. This made it kink free at the pump connection. To get the rubber elbow to mate to my heater hose I cut a piece of aluminum straight pipe to use as a coupler.

Last edited:

stonemonk9

Established Member
Unfortunately I have been slammed with work and haven't had a chance to get my car tuned and get more data.

You need (2) 1/2" npt to 3/4" hose fittings. Then I just went to Oreilly and bought like 6' of 3/4" heater hose. The bracket I made out of some aluminum flat bar from Lowe's.

Good luck! :beer:

Oh and I reused some of the rubber elbows that were on the OEM lines. This made it kink free at the pump connection. To get the rubber elbow to mate to my heater hose I cut a piece of aluminum straight pipe to use as a coupler.

Thanks for the info! Got it all done today, I used a couple male hose barb couplers to connect my hose to OE hoses. Made the same type of aluminum bracket as you did, went very well.

earico

Established Member
Thanks for the info! Got it all done today, I used a couple male hose barb couplers to connect my hose to OE hoses. Made the same type of aluminum bracket as you did, went very well.

Pics or it didn't happen....:rolling: :poke: :beer:

oem

Custom User Title
Established Member
I was just thinking about something like this last week, was actually looking to see if they made vertical cored heat exchangers just to be a little more different.

earico

Established Member

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Intercooler that came out, it was bent and leaking, looks to me it wasnt stock...?

lol done and done! :beer:

NICE! :banana: :banana: :banana: Good job! Looks like you boxed in the sides too?

Looks so good on your black car. The old unit you pulled out looks like an Afco or LFP single pass to me. It will take a lot of force to bend this new one :lol: .

Only thing I notice is you left the lower mounting ears on. I ground those off just to make sure they don't get snagged on something. Even though they are above the bottom lip I worry about it going over speed bumps. My car is very low! I almost decided to remove the drain c o c k (banned word, have to space it lol) for that same reason and replace it with a plug. Still might do that one day.

Last edited:

stonemonk9

Established Member
Thanks! Actually I ended up bending those tabs up to hug the bracket I made. The first one bent nicely and the second one kinda started to kink the fins on the cooler so I left it half bent. I was a bit worried about the drain as well, it does seem awfully low, but it is a great feature to have... Plus my car is stock ride height. Next debate will be what to do with the reservoir and save some $$ for a whipple!

Tifosi2003GT

Established Member
Actually fabricating a bracket this week.. Almost ready to tune it with the Vmp Tvs!!

c6e4c9a1-4507-0bb3.jpg

c6e4c9a1-4520-a06a.jpg

SlowSVT

Established Member
Actually fabricating a bracket this week.. Almost ready to tune it with the Vmp Tvs!!

c6e4c9a1-4507-0bb3.jpg

c6e4c9a1-4520-a06a.jpg

Is that HE "hard" mounted to the chassis? :uh oh:

If not I would consider rubber mounts to dampen vibration and shock loads before it gets to the HE. If not, the fragile radiator will develop cracks and leak. That installation looks like the rad filled with heavy coolant has no way to move and shrug-off road impacts to the chassis. McMaster-Carr sells shock mounts.

Tifosi2003GT

Established Member
Is that HE "hard" mounted to the chassis? :uh oh:

If not I would consider rubber mounts to dampen vibration and shock loads before it gets to the HE. If not, the fragile radiator will develop cracks and leak. That installation looks like the rad filled with heavy coolant has no way to move and shrug-off road impacts to the chassis. McMaster-Carr sells shock mounts.

I just mounted it like that to test fit the location. I'm going to put some vibration type insulation between the bumper support and I/c..

Tx's for the link!! :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread