unbias poll

jcveron

Established Member
I had a friend of mine that was looking to sell his C-6 to buy a 2012 GT500 that was coming in at our local dealership. I drove his car around for a while and for the price I just didn't bond with the car and it was a good price. He traded it in on the GT500. I drove the GT500 a few times and checked out the Mustang 5.0 and then kicked around ordering the Boss 302. I decided on and ordered the GT500. I found the GT500 much more fun to drive than the corvette and ingress and egress is a lot easier in the mustang. As for my friend, he also much prefers his GT500 to his former ride.

As suggested, drive them both. In 2003, I wanted to buy a Terminator in a bad way. I found out I didn't fit that well in the older mustang and found the cabin far too cramped. I think to be able to enjoy a car, it has to be comfortable. I've been watching the GT500 since they came out, but the dealer mark-ups turned me off. I had a 2009 GT500 offered to me at invoice, but I had just bought a 2008 F-150 a few months prior. I'm glad I waited, but with the 2013 coming out, I might not have waited long enough. But unless there is some overwhelming, compelling reason to trade up, I don't think that's going to happen. I just got a VMP TVS to make up for any potential horsepower envy and to keep the ZL1s in check.

this is what i was looking for. thanks

SVTeveN

SVT
Established Member
If you go to the vette forums a lot of the ls7 motors have been gernading due to bad valve guides. Stock and modded cars both. The 2011-12 gt500's handle very nice especially with the 102lbs off the nose.

SVT_SRT8

Established Member
2 friends of mine grenaded their motors due to valve guides as well.

The z06 vette's are amazing cars but, they have had a lot of motor problems. I would get an 11+ GT500 or a Grandsport.

Last edited:

ponyboy96

Established Member
Personally I like the Vettes, but if I had to decide between an 07-09 Shelby or a C6, I would take the C6. I'm just not that big a fan of the 05-09 Mustang body style. Why not buy a 10 or newer? They are much nicer than the 07-09's. I would add that if you go to car shows a lot and pull up in a vette, you are just going to be another guy in a vette (as my vette friend likes to say, "ohh look another vette"). Go in a GT500 and you will more than likely be the only one there.

Power and performance, the GT500 will smack down a C6. Long term value, the GT500 will be worth more. Build quality, the GT500 is better. Technology (at least on the 10 and ups), the GT500 is superior.

I do like the looks of the C6 Vettes. If I were to get one it would have to be a C6Z, I've drooled over those since they came out. I have a family and needed 4 seats, plus I've always liked the GT500s.

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I have an unbiased fact to share. Let's talk about build quality.

I have been installing car audio and electronics in the 12 volt industry for years, and also car customizing & performance.

In 2006, I had the pleasure of taking apart a 2005 C6 Corvette that had less than 5,000 miles on it. I installed a procharger, Z06 body kit, complete car audio system, and many other engine bolt ons for performance. Needless to say, I had to disassemble the car down to the core. Here is what I discovered. The Vette is built a lot cheaper than you would expect. The interior panels were flimsy plastic, the exterior panels were extremely light forgiving material. Sure, the car is light, but I was not impressed. Now I know why Vette owners complain about interior noises and squeaks after 3-5 years.

Fast forward a couple of years to 2008.

I bought a 2008 Mustang GT because it was the first Mustang I could sit comfortably in. Taking the car apart for mods, I was overly impressed at how strong and sturdy the car was built. The interior panels were thicker/sturdier. The exterior panels were made of steel.

Fast forward again to 2010, I bought a 2009 GT500 and did everything over again.

There is no comparison of build quality between the S197 body style and the C6 Corvette. All the Vette guys disagree with me because they are "fanbois", but I know the truth. The Vette is lighter and more aerodynamic, but IMO....I wouldn't want to be involved in a high speed impact driving one.

Last edited:

sprintstang

Established Member
Totally agree, the vets interior seemed cheap to me.

I have an unbiased fact to share. Let's talk about build quality.

I have been installing car audio and electronics in the 12 volt industry for years, and also car customizing & performance.

In 2006, I had the pleasure of taking apart a 2005 C6 Corvette that had less than 5,000 miles on it. I installed a procharger, Z06 body kit, complete car audio system, and many other engine bolt ons for performance. Needless to say, I had to disassemble the car down to the core. Here is what I discovered. The Vette is built a lot cheaper than you would expect. The interior panels were flimsy plastic, the exterior panels were extremely light forgiving material. Sure, the car is light, but I was not impressed. Now I know why Vette owners complain about interior noises and squeaks after 3-5 years.

Fast forward a couple of years to 2008.

I bought a 2008 Mustang GT because it was the first Mustang I could sit comfortably in. Taking the car apart for mods, I was overly impressed at how strong and sturdy the car was built. The interior panels were thicker/sturdier. The exterior panels were made of steel.

Fast forward again to 2010, I bought a 2009 GT500 and did everything over again.

There is no comparison of build quality between the S197 body style and the C6 Corvette. All the Vette guys disagree with me because they are "fanbois", but I know the truth. The Vette is lighter and more aerodynamic, but IMO....I wouldn't want to be involved in a high speed impact driving one.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Totally agree, the vets interior seemed cheap to me.

and then you have to think how much the 2010+ GT500 interior is better than the 2005-2009. Big difference.

Let's compare Shelby to ZR1 to C6

Shelby
2011_ford_shelby-gt500_fint_ft_818101_815.jpg

ZR1
ag_09zr1_interior.jpg

C6
Chevrolet-Corvette-Ron-Fellows-C6-Z06-09.jpg

Last edited:

livnpaintball2

Established Member
If you want to support the welfare system then give your money to government motors...................

Never again..........................

rdsnk46

Established Member
ZR-1 or go home!

Stock GT500 vs. ZR-1........say 35k for an 08GT500 vs. 85k for a ZR-1! Put 10K in the GT500 and you have a ZR-1 killer for 45K!

SVTeveN

SVT
Established Member
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJhV058OV-k"]Shelby GT 500 vs ZR1 Corvette - YouTube[/nomedia]

Sorry I had to lol

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
i loled at this/

I think he was serious. :poke:

Pass a bunch of Mustangs with a Corvette and you won't impress anyone.

However, kick the crap out of a bunch of Corvettes with a Mustang and now you've got some good quality family entertainment. :-D

Choice is a no brainer. Besides, this subject has been discussed Ad nauseum. :read:

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
C6 for me. I just really like the sleek look

Last edited:

Cameron57

Established Member
IMO the Shelby gets more attention than a vette. Shelby is faster than a c-6 straight line and a more comfortable dd IMO. Plus you have a back seat and a real trunk :) GL with your pick hope this helps.

-Cameron

rdsnk46

Established Member
Bone stock C6 vs GT500 40-140 roll dead locked side by side with me and my buddy driving like it was a 20K money race

Users who are viewing this thread