TV Recommendations Needed

jrandy

Established Member
I bought a new house and with it comes a serious need for an upgraded TV from my old 46" LG.

Some considerations:
  • 65" and up
  • Trying to keep it $2,000 and under
  • I would like to purchase via Amazon
  • Smart would be preferred, but is not a deal breaker
  • Doesn't need to be 4k

So SVTP, what's a decent TV?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'll let others make recommendations, but because you mentioned that you'd like a Smart TV, be aware that some manufacturers discontinue some of the manufacturer specific Smart features over time. I bought an awesome Samsung 54" plasma a year and a half ago and within about 12 months they pulled one of their apps. And I just started seeing pop-up reminders last week that effective July 1 they are discontinuing their Samsung TV & Movies app. I don't really use it that much, but point this out because you can buy a Smart TV and then find out over time that some of the manufacturer specific apps no longer are available. I do have access to Hulu, Netflix, YouTube, etc., which is nice. That hasn't changed.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
subscribing. Will be looking for a 60"+ 4k smart TV soon. Tired of this damn 55" plasma, it's terrible unless on an HD channel.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
I'll let others make recommendations, but because you mentioned that you'd like a Smart TV, be aware that some manufacturers discontinue some of the manufacturer specific Smart features over time. I bought an awesome Samsung 54" plasma a year and a half ago and within about 12 months they pulled one of their apps. And I just started seeing pop-up reminders last week that effective July 1 they are discontinuing their Samsung TV & Movies app. I don't really use it that much, but point this out because you can buy a Smart TV and then find out over time that some of the manufacturer specific apps no longer are available. I do have access to Hulu, Netflix, YouTube, etc., which is nice. That hasn't changed.

This is a very good point about smart TV's. Manufacturers don't have a huge incentive to keep up with application support on older TV's. It's a way to drive you to a new one.

With that being the case, I don't personally believe that the premium of a smart TV over a "dumb" tv is worth it. Especially if you have a xbone or ps4 that operates as your media center at the same time.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
subscribing. Will be looking for a 60"+ 4k smart TV soon. Tired of this damn 55" plasma, it's terrible unless on an HD channel.
You do know that there is VERY LITTLE 4k content, right? About 80% of the programming you see on TV is 720P, save for streaming and even then, very limited 4k.

As been said a ton of times, 4K (lol) LCD/LED TV’s still don’t compare to a high end (discontinued?) 1080P Plasma TV's. Save yourself a ton of money and buy a high end LED 1080P TV instead of 4K.

OLED 4K TV’s are the only one’s really worth waiting for.

NC85

Lurker for Life
Established Member
I've had a Sony Bravia (52 or 55) for the last 6 years that's got a nice picture. Not sure how smart they make them now.

Paid about $1800 then and won't do it again for a TV, they're overrated.I was in the same boat, new house, bigger TV( wasn't going to spend 2k plus on 60"), etc.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
You do know that there is VERY LITTLE 4k content, right? About 80% of the programming you see on TV is 720P, save for streaming and even then, very limited 4k.

As been said a ton of times, 4K (lol) LCD/LED TV’s still don’t compare to a high end (discontinued?) 1080P Plasma TV's. Save yourself a ton of money and buy a high end LED 1080P TV instead of 4K.

OLED 4K TV’s are the only one’s really worth waiting for.

All of this. There is almost zero difference between upconverted 4K and 1080i/p, and that's with high end TV's. Upconverted content on a lesser TV will actually be worse.

oldmodman

Established Member
Look on Craigslist for an almost brand new, very last model Panasonic Plasma 65"

I just bought another for $765.00 They were about 2K new.

The guy had only had it for six months and the company he worked for offered him a better job many states away.

He dumped everything in his house since he only had three days to move. This type of situation happens a lot. Take advantage of it.

TJSwoboda

Established Member
Are there any smart TVs, of any size, that do the following: Discover shared LAN directories and just play files on them? No "add it to a library" or other BS hoops to jump through, just discover shared folders and play their files; does such an animal exist?

MG0h3

Established Member
I can never find a better deal than Costco.

Bought a 60" Sharp LCD for 990 about 2 yrs ago. Pretty sure they are mid 7s now.

04SVT_COBRA

CO No Mas
Established Member
Look on Craigslist for an almost brand new, very last model Panasonic Plasma 65"

I just bought another for $765.00 They were about 2K new.

The guy had only had it for six months and the company he worked for offered him a better job many states away.

He dumped everything in his house since he only had three days to move. This type of situation happens a lot. Take advantage of it.

+1,200,339,102,876,482,492,780,923,837,190,209.76

Panny plasmas are about the best damn value you can get in a TV, especially NOW. OLED is the only thing I will replace my Pannasonic with.

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
Samsung has a great picture quality, but their software and "smart TV" functions are absolute shit. They run slow, crash, and require hard reboots by removing the power from the wall. Whatever you choose, include a FireTV or AppleTV with your purchase for those functions. Leave that type of technology to the folks that do it best, not to Samsung and their shitty developers. I was so pissed off with my Samsung 65" LED that I considered returning it. Luckily FireTV made it tolerable.

I'd steer clear of Samsung because of this reason -- poor, slow, buggy software, but good picture quality. I'm sure there are better manufactuers out there now. Samsung used to be the best, but they have fallen.

Users who are viewing this thread