TV Recommendations Needed

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
Samsung has a great picture quality, but their software and "smart TV" functions are absolute shit. They run slow, crash, and require hard reboots by removing the power from the wall. Whatever you choose, include a FireTV or AppleTV with your purchase for those functions. Leave that type of technology to the folks that do it best, not to Samsung and their shitty developers. I was so pissed off with my Samsung 65" LED that I considered returning it. Luckily FireTV made it tolerable.

I'd steer clear of Samsung because of this reason -- poor, slow, buggy software, but good picture quality. I'm sure there are better manufactuers out there now. Samsung used to be the best, but they have fallen.

i just bought Apple TV for $50 since target did price matching, love it so far!
you tried slick deals op? lot of tvs on there that fit your description

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
You want to buy from Amazon, why not just look at the amazon reviews? I'm sure thousands of people on amazon can give you better info than 1-2 people here.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Are there any smart TVs, of any size, that do the following: Discover shared LAN directories and just play files on them? No "add it to a library" or other BS hoops to jump through, just discover shared folders and play their files; does such an animal exist?

My PS3 does that. Doubt any TV would do it, but I'm not sure.

Just_A_GT

Established Member
With that being the case, I don't personally believe that the premium of a smart TV over a "dumb" tv is worth it. Especially if you have a xbone or ps4 that operates as your media center at the same time.

Agree with the xbone or ps4 route, but will also throw out a recommendation for a HD Roku device to replace the "Smart TV" functionality. I have a 60 inch Vizio e class, and the wifi functionality seems to crap out from time to time. I have a Roku device sitting in the closet that I plan to hook up next time the wifi pisses me off lol

Coiled03

Established Member
I bought a Panasonic 65", plasma, 3D a couple years ago.

Best TV I've ever purchased. The picture quality is astounding.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
This is a very good point about smart TV's. Manufacturers don't have a huge incentive to keep up with application support on older TV's. It's a way to drive you to a new one.

With that being the case, I don't personally believe that the premium of a smart TV over a "dumb" tv is worth it. Especially if you have a xbone or ps4 that operates as your media center at the same time.
Chromecast is the better choice IMO.

There’s more than just a smart TV. The lower tier one’s won’t give you the premium picture quality, sound, and ports. (4 HDMI, etc). If there was a choice between a non smart tv vs smart tv with the same picture view/internals, I would take the non smart tv but we don’t get that choice. My 65VT60 gets hardly used for its “smart” functions, dont even recall using the built in camera either.

Blown 89

Established Member
The word "smart" is just a marketing term with TV's. My dumb TV does everything a smart TV does and then some thanks to a few inexpensive accessories like the $25 Chromecast. Not to mention that their "smart" features are subpar performers when it comes to their specific tasks.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Good thread, I too will be in the market soon for a 60-65" set to replace my aging Vizeo 47" 1080p that id like to be able to sell while it still works. My parents just got a 65" Panasonic (i believe) and it is glorious. Tron Legacy and Guardians bluray looked so amazing on it.

I'll let others make recommendations, but because you mentioned that you'd like a Smart TV, be aware that some manufacturers discontinue some of the manufacturer specific Smart features over time. I bought an awesome Samsung 54" plasma a year and a half ago and within about 12 months they pulled one of their apps. And I just started seeing pop-up reminders last week that effective July 1 they are discontinuing their Samsung TV & Movies app. I don't really use it that much, but point this out because you can buy a Smart TV and then find out over time that some of the manufacturer specific apps no longer are available. I do have access to Hulu, Netflix, YouTube, etc., which is nice. That hasn't changed.

For what its worth, I too have a Sammy smart tv and have never once used any of their apps, and get the popups too.

I installed netflix, hulu and amazon prime and thats all that tv will ever run. As long as they keep their smarthub updated and support that then im good to go.

Id also like to add, im seeing more manufacturers bundle normal TV's with roku/amazon sticks and marketing them as "smart tv's". Honestly, hearing from a bunch of friends that all bought smart tv sets from manufacturers the last 3-4yrs and now going to roku/amazon sticks as they are far better and the amazon stick even better because you can sideload a bunch of shit (XBMC/Kodi) and really unleash potential that otherwise cannot be done through manufacturer smart interfaces.

jrandy

Established Member
Thanks for the input everyone. I usually browse slick deals and amazon deals quite a bit looking for deals too good to pass up but nothing really stood out to me.

I bought a TV last night actually. I was killing time before a BBQ and dropped into Best Buy with the wife and ended up purchasing a Sharp.

In the end, it came down to a really good price ($1,500) and BB having 36 month 0% financing.

TV:

https://www.google.com/#q=sharp+lc-70tq15u&tbm=shop&spd=765963651535350484

Gravik

Established Member
Samsung has a great picture quality, but their software and "smart TV" functions are absolute shit. They run slow, crash, and require hard reboots by removing the power from the wall. Whatever you choose, include a FireTV or AppleTV with your purchase for those functions. Leave that type of technology to the folks that do it best, not to Samsung and their shitty developers. I was so pissed off with my Samsung 65" LED that I considered returning it. Luckily FireTV made it tolerable.

I'd steer clear of Samsung because of this reason -- poor, slow, buggy software, but good picture quality. I'm sure there are better manufactuers out there now. Samsung used to be the best, but they have fallen.

I opted not to get the smart version. My xbox works just fine for that :)

nxhappy

Established Member
Walmart has some bitchin deals on TVs. I ended up with a 60" Vizio LED 1080p. I love it.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
I'm holding out a while longer for oled to get a little more affordable. I have a Samsung plasma not that's about 7 years old and not a fan of led. Unless it's a Sony XBR or Samsung 8000 series or better.

Oled will meet / surpass plasma eventually.

TJSwoboda

Established Member
My PS3 does that. Doubt any TV would do it, but I'm not sure.
Interesting... I used to use my XBox 360 for LAN streaming, though it included a shitload a idiotic hoops to jump through. After Microsoft completely changed the UI, the network settings broke and I couldn't get them to work again. I bought an Apple TV 2, jailbroke it and have been using that. For my next TV, I'd like to have really simple, bare bones LAN streaming, and I'd be willing to install third party firmware...

...Which leads to another question: Are there any smart TVs on which you can install third party firmware?

Users who are viewing this thread