Turbo mustang owners, come in.

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
I went back and forth for a long time before pulling the trigger on the hellion twin kit. I love the JPC kit and Eric is a great resource, but in the end, it came down to symmetry for me. Call me crazy but I really liked the duality of twins and the visual appeal under the hood.

Everyone is different and some many will disagree with me but I think a twin kit looks better than any side mounted single kit on these cars. Both will perform well (proof is in the pudding) but for me, the twins was what I really wanted, so that's what I got.

I completed the install in my garage on jackstands with relative ease. There are a couple things that you have to think outside the box on, but overall, it was a very smooth install. I took be just over a week with working on it a few hours each night after work.

4VFTW

Established Member
Nitrous is fun until you run out.
run out you say...
IMAG0620_zpsf6851087.jpg

I think I will run out of gas or rods first.

thepostageman

Established Member
Just going to ask here, I have had the twins on for about a month now, and I have had a lot of tranny noise come up recently, as well as some jerking while cruising no matter which gear. Im running the Hellion kit on stock everything still as well. Any thoughts? Could the jerk be a tune issue or is it time to get a tremec?

Turbos2 by thepostageman15, on Flickr

Last edited:

Nuar

Established Member
I forgot about this thread... man... that engine bay looks soooooooo badass...
beyond jealous right here :D

More info?
I assume its a standard transmission?

thepostageman

Established Member
I forgot about this thread... man... that engine bay looks soooooooo badass...
beyond jealous right here :D

More info?
I assume its a standard transmission?

Yea its the "awesome" standard tranny haha.
On 7.8 psi my tuner got it to 601hp and 595 trq.
I had the almost all piping ceramic coated and that heat wrap as well.
They relocated the battery to the trunk, and fuse box is under my passenger dash now, and have the Kenne Bell BAP as well.
Car runs awesome, despite this little issue Im running into.

Nuar

Established Member
I am going to assume the tune is at fault here, since its in all gears.
If I were in your position, I would do some datalogs and make sure it catches the jerking on the log. Then contact your tunner about it and see if they can see anything wrong in the logs.

Does it happen at the same RPM by any chance? (like 2100 ish?)

thepostageman

Established Member
I am going to assume the tune is at fault here, since its in all gears.
If I were in your position, I would do some datalogs and make sure it catches the jerking on the log. Then contact your tunner about it and see if they can see anything wrong in the logs.

Does it happen at the same RPM by any chance? (like 2100 ish?)

It will happen anywhere from 1800 to 2300, i don't really cruise anything higher than that..
The tuner said it would jerk if your bogging it down and making a turn or something, but this is different than that.
Just wanted to see if anyone else was having a problem like this.

Joey8

Established Member
It will happen anywhere from 1800 to 2300, i don't really cruise anything higher than that..
The tuner said it would jerk if your bogging it down and making a turn or something, but this is different than that.
Just wanted to see if anyone else was having a problem like this.

What kind of noise? The jerking i would agree with Nuar that its the tune, however if it just started happening after a month then maybe not. A tune just wouldnt decide to change and jerk in all gears. Maybe take a video of the noise.

thepostageman

Established Member
What kind of noise? The jerking i would agree with Nuar that its the tune, however if it just started happening after a month then maybe not. A tune just wouldnt decide to change and jerk in all gears. Maybe take a video of the noise.

I first started feeling the jerk when i drove it an hour out of town about a week and a half ago, I guess since i noticed it then I notice it all the time now. And I can try a video tomorrow sometime, it may just be the transmission? I've read in some places that the stock one is loud and clunky and is sometimes garbage.

Joey8

Established Member
I first started feeling the jerk when i drove it an hour out of town about a week and a half ago, I guess since i noticed it then I notice it all the time now. And I can try a video tomorrow sometime, it may just be the transmission? I've read in some places that the stock one is loud and clunky and is sometimes garbage.
I had the clunky jerky feeling on the stock tune and 2 piece driveshaft when going like 10 mph in first gear through a parking lot. Got a tune and 1 piece and it smoothed out considerably. Just weird you noticed it all of a sudden especially at such high speeds which makes me believe it's something in the tranny, although everything you mention has happen to me untuned if that makes sense.

mastwolf

4800fps = Mach1 in h2o
Established Member
CPR Single Turbo Kit
Stock Motor
Perfect Fit, If you can do headers....its cake
Nothing Else is needed in the kit, you will need tuning and fuel system
I tune, so I did my own tuning
Nope

thepostageman

Established Member
I had the clunky jerky feeling on the stock tune and 2 piece driveshaft when going like 10 mph in first gear through a parking lot. Got a tune and 1 piece and it smoothed out considerably. Just weird you noticed it all of a sudden especially at such high speeds which makes me believe it's something in the tranny, although everything you mention has happen to me untuned if that makes sense.

That makes sense. I have a buddy who gets modded mustangs at his work all the time, and he had a twin turbo guy come in and his tranny was just gone, only had 4000 miles on it. Ill have my tuner check it out, I could just be paranoid, but from everyone I have talked too with s/c or turbo, they say this tranny just sucks or either sucks regardless.

notchy444

Established Member
Hey guys! just wanted to give my 2 cents about turbos and what not. Im just finishing up a epic build with a built MMR 1500 pro mod block and a CPR turbo kit. Mods are MMR springs, ID1000, JPC 2500 HP y block fuel setup, CPR turbo kit currently running on air/air and a 75MM turbo. I too have a MT82 well HAD one. Went with a RXT clutch with aluminum fly wheel and a carbon fiber shaft. As for power its in a league of its own! Coming from a paxton setup I had to learn to drive the car again lol. The clutch catches great and really didnt have to much trubble shifting but I do have a lotta mods on the MT82. Whiteline trans mount, barton shifter and 2 post, jpc clutch line, fluid ext ext.... I ended up pulling the MT82 and switching to a 6R80 that came from a forum member whos taking over my mt82 setup due to higher power goalw. Power wise I put out 816 rwh and 705 ft/lbs on 10 lbs and a 75mm turbo!! I was able to hit 1000Rwh under 17 lbs! now that im swapping to the 84mm turbo with a race cover and a fully built 6r80 im gonna crack it up to full retard and shot for some 1200-1300 hp number. If you havnt looked into the CPR kit its a work of art. The wow factor of a 5 inch down pipe gets people drooling over my engine bay hahaha. I have plenty of graphs and videos in my build thread if you need more info on the kit. as for install I really couldnt tell u much as dustin the owner of cpr intalled it but I know of another forum member that is installing his kit as we speak. maybe he will chime in. Good luck with your purchase of a turbo!

Nuar

Established Member
Notchy, I just went through that whole build thread... two observations...
A) You have a SERIOUSLY sick car in the making buddy!
B) That thread turned VERY weird towards the end hahahahaha

Users who are viewing this thread