Turbo Build...04 Coyote Swap GT

TClark22

Established Member
Fluid kits are out of stock

Not to mention built for 11-14 cars...won't fit mine. Their stainless steel cast headers are sick.

Is this a stock compression coyote motor? What is the max boost and timing you'll be able to run [safely] on a motor that's 11:1 CR?

Nope, lowered to 10:1. Not sure how much boost or timing I can run but I'll be keeping this one under its 1000hp limit of the block. I'm hoping this setup will live in the 800-900hp range on E85...maybe something in the 6-700hp range on regular pump for the streets.

TClark22

Established Member
Well my master builder is sick...so nothing got started last week or over the weekend. Hoping he gets better because the weather looks like it is going to be awesome to start on the build this week without freezing our balls off!

But I messed around with it a little bit yesterday. Ground on the a/c compressor a tiny bit so the header is no longer making contact. Boy I tell you what, uninstalling and reinstalling a kmember by yourself with a motor in the car is a whole lot of fun!!

Also messed around and brought the turbo out in the garage to see how much room we have...the answer is none. no room. lol room will need to be made for this mammoth.

And I loved the logo on the beer I was drinking...so here is that for shits n giggles

TClark22

Established Member
I can just never leave things alone! lol its all apart now because turbo is so damn big we don't have room for it!.

What do you turbo guys with a/c use for a radiator?

Last edited:

Gravik

Established Member
That's a big snail.

I just had a stock radiator/fan assembly. It was a TIGHT fit even with a 70mm turbo.

I've heard of guys moving the radiator forward a couple inches for more clearance

TClark22

Established Member
Alrighty so it seems I have decided the path forward for radiator placement...

I will just be moving the radiator forward into the core support. We will figure out the A/c condenser later. I am thinking I'll just buy a universal condenser that is slightly smaller than the stock one so I can mount it in front of the core support. But for now we are moving forward with this plan...I can drive the car without a/c for a while but I can't drive it how I want without a full size radiator! Street car! Plus I think it will look better that way.

A stock size radiator (if I had cut the mounting dowels off) would fit perfect moved all the way up...

Ordered up a fluidyne replacement radiator. For some reason its a tad smaller than the mishimotor or other stock replacements. But the fluidyne should keep things nice a cold!

Last edited:

TClark22

Established Member
No, don't think so. We might have to make some stainless pipe for the bottom hose to route around the turbo piping

TClark22

Established Member
Got the radiator in...and why yes...yes it might be overkill! lol it'll definitely run cool no matter the temp!

Also bought these...not sure on using them or not. Stock latch still works, just kinda wanted to get rid of it for the more secure pins.

Will also be running new power steering lines to get rid of the stupid hard lines and bracket that bolt right where we want the turbo outlet to be (well close). But also to get the high pressure lines away from the hotside.

My buddy has been tied up getting people's cars and his own car ready for TX this past week or so. So we haven't worked on my kit yet but should be hitting it hard when he gets back from texas next week.

TClark22

Established Member
Well...we haven't gotten started on the piping just yet. My buddy's car had problems in TX so he's been working on that since he got back. But was just talking with him yesterday and hopefully he can get in some time with me this weekend.

I have started to tuck the radiator into the core support. The fluidyne radiator is a super tight fit where I put it. A little more massaging here and there, make a couple hold down brackets for the top part and it should be good and mounted. Pictures below are pretty much how it will sit once top hold down brackets are made. Think I can get creative and use a stock style hold down bracket using the stock bolt holes. We'll see. But now there is room for the turbo! lol

TClark22

Established Member
Well my buddy came over!

We figured out a way to hold the turbo up in place while figuring out the best spot.

And then we wanted to start cutting up some pipe...so we went to assemble the small horizontal band saw I bought. Put the base together...then went to grab the heavy saw part and realized the MOFO was broke!

Part of the casting that the motor bolted to was broken off...showed up to my doorstep this way. ALWAYS OPEN AND CHECK YOUR SHIT PEOPLE!! Luckily its a harbor freight piece (OS) and they should exchange it for me in store.

So we were about to make progress...thanks Obama.

CB-Man

Hello all,
I am new and can't figure out how to PM people.
I am getting everything around for the Coyote swap in my 99
I just have a quick question,

How did you wire up gauges and what gauges did you use?

TClark22

Established Member
I'm using stock gauges. Fuel level comes from stock sender, coolant temp comes from a sensor spliced into the heater hose to connect to the stock 2v connector, speedo comes from stock style trans, dummy oil pressure guage by splicing into the coyote oil pressure sensor, battery guage comes from somewhere in the stock system...its working and we didn't do anything to make it work so...

TClark22

Established Member
Progress has been made! Drivers side to turbo mocked up. Was supposed to get started on the passenger side over the weekend as well but my buddy didn't show so this is what we got.

We now have a lead on a guy with a tig welder and the skills to use it to at least tack this shit together...so hopefully more progress in the coming week!

TClark22

Established Member
Worked on it some more last night. Started on the passenger side...then realized we didn't like the driver side much anymore so we took that off and reconfigured it. We pretty much have it figured out now. Should be finishing up the mock up of the passenger side tonight. We now have a guy who is going to come to my house and weld up the pipes for me!! WOOOO So hopefully we will have a welded up hotside in the next week (minus downpipe of course cause we are waiting to finish the header to turbo first) Our poor harbor freight band saw blade bit the dust so luckily lowes was still open and carried the exact size we needed!

Users who are viewing this thread