Tune only 2017 AMG E63 S

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
yea and the Mercedes value TANKS like no other car in history literally! the CL55 for example was $114k new. u can pick one up for about $15k now....:rolleyes: and the SL65 was $140k new! can now be bought for about $40k....:rolleyes:

Starts at $104K.

MastaAce03

Established Member
yea and the Mercedes value TANKS like no other car in history literally! the CL55 for example was $114k new. u can pick one up for about $15k now....:rolleyes: and the SL65 was $140k new! can now be bought for about $40k....:rolleyes:

Which is exactly why you should never buy them new and are a great value 3 years down the road. Unless you like setting your money on fire of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
no doubt. my buddys E55 he bought for like $22k with like 50k on it and he modified it and went high 10's so tru quite a bargain used but expensive to fix.

utterly badass interiors tho. freakn BJ on wheels in there. there is just no other car that does what Mercedes does to their interiors. and the seat was wicked!

Which is exactly why you should never buy them new and are a great value 3 years down the road. Unless you like setting your money on fire of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GotGrunt

Established Member
no doubt. my buddys E55 he bought for like $22k with like 50k on it and he modified it and went high 10's so tru quite a bargain used but expensive to fix.

utterly badass interiors tho. freakn BJ on wheels in there. there is just no other car that does what Mercedes does to their interiors. and the seat was wicked!

I remember back in 2003-04 when a certain E55 with drag radials was racing and beating Terminators from a dig... it was pretty entertaining on here.

TERMN8U

Established Member
I was saying the same thing to myself.
71k?!?!?! Really? For an engine in a car that cost 90K?!? Doesn't make sense. Maybe that includes the labor, the import tax and the sending of person(s) from Germany to do the replacement?

Mine listed for $123,000 or $132,000. I forget what exactly but I agree there's no reason for the engine to cost 1/2 the car.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member

GotGrunt

Established Member
I remember back in 2003-04 when a certain E55 with drag radials was racing and beating Terminators from a dig... it was pretty entertaining on here.

I think you got that wrong, the e55's were stock and the terminators needed bolt ons and tires to beat the e55s.
https://www.svtperformance.com/forums/threads/03-cobra-vs-03-e55-amg-video.54729/

That brings back some memories :) I told you the E55 had drag radials!

both had DRs

o_O

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
That’s quite a hefty fee to pay though, IMO not worth the risk. This seems like a car to abuse in stock form and get rid of when the warranty runs out. Perfect lease candidate.

FWIW, sometimes they do explode into a million pieces without much left to salvage, ie. LS7.

Meh. It’s pay to play. Before my hellcat, I had a modded c6z. I was fully prepared to rebuild the motor if it grenaded. It didn't. There wasn't a time that I took the car out where it didn't see 7k rpms. If you're going to shell out $100k+ for one of these cars, then you'd better be prepared to spend $10-$20k+ if something goes wrong. I knew there was a risk of breaking the stock trans on my gtr, so when I drove the shit out of it, and broke the trans, I wasn't surprised when it cost $16k to build it, and add a flex fuel kit/exhaust.

The guy who buys a 5-7 year old 90k mile e63/Audi/BMW that stickered for $120k, for $30k, and decides to mod the piss out of it? Yeah, they are playing with fire. There's a much higher likelihood of expensive repairs/catastrophic failure, and an even better chance they won't be able to afford the repairs.

You'd never go to the dealership with your blown motor (that is not covered under warranty), and pay dealership prices for a brand new oem motor.

GotGrunt

Established Member
Meh. It’s pay to play. Before my hellcat, I had a modded c6z. I was fully prepared to rebuild the motor if it grenaded. It didn't. There wasn't a time that I took the car out where it didn't see 7k rpms. If you're going to shell out $100k+ for one of these cars, then you'd better be prepared to spend $10-$20k+ if something goes wrong. I knew there was a risk of breaking the stock trans on my gtr, so when I drove the shit out of it, and broke the trans, I wasn't surprised when it cost $16k to build it, and add a flex fuel kit/exhaust.

The guy who buys a 5-7 year old 90k mile e63/Audi/BMW that stickered for $120k, for $30k, and decides to mod the piss out of it? Yeah, they are playing with fire. There's a much higher likelihood of expensive repairs/catastrophic failure, and an even better chance they won't be able to afford the repairs.

You'd never go to the dealership with your blown motor (that is not covered under warranty), and pay dealership prices for a brand new oem motor.

I can come up with a few possible reasons why we don’t see eye to eye here:

A) you have way bigger balls :D
B) you have way more money
C) you have a much higher commitment to going fast
D) you have totally different priorities

I can think of a million other things I’d like to do with that kind of money than dump it into my car.

BTW, I also had a C6Z which I bought new. I decided to sell it as the powertrain warranty was running out because of all the issues I had during my ownership. They were all covered under warranty but were a complete nuisance and I didn’t want to have to deal with fixing it out of pocket. This was before the LS7 issues came to light. The guy who bought it from me had the motor blow itself to pieces and sold it non-running because of the huge cost to fix it. I guess you can say I dodged a bullet there. A buddy of mine also owned a C6Z around the same time I did. His motor took a dump and the repair cost crushed him. The car sat broken for a while until he could come up with the money to fix it. He eventually had it rebuilt using better than factory parts but sold it not long after to cut his losses.

Taking a monetary hit like that is never fun and can turn someone off from the car game, at least for a good while.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread