Trip To Jail

divided

Established Member
That's the story....the officer explained that by going over the posted limit by so many miles it's considered reckless and they'll take you in. I was definitely in the wrong by speeding, but I would like to do whatever it takes to keep it off of my record and never return to jail if possible. I guess what I was really asking is: is it possible to lessen the charges or change the sentencing alone, or is the attorney the only real way to go about it?

As far as puberty goes...I don't care about UFC or the 49ers, but I enjoy XBox from time to time. Haha

Damn. I got lucky when I got hit for a 108+ in a 65. I got raped on fines and insurance though. But at least I didn't get thrown in the slammer. How fast were you going?

MixMaker

I've got a fever!!
Established Member
Damn. I got lucky when I got hit for a 108+ in a 65. I got raped on fines and insurance though. But at least I didn't get thrown in the slammer. How fast were you going?

I wasn't looking and I wasn't told what/if I was clocked at. Definately wasn't 108 haha.

Stupercharged

Established Member
who cares if you have criminal charges on your record? misdemeanors dont mean anything really. i have one on my record and have cop friends that say they dont mean a thing. i have a class 3 misdemeanor and a stupid petty offense. whatever i can still buy guns and vote and do everything else people without misdemeanors do? and then you can tell chicks your a criminal hahaha!

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
who cares if you have criminal charges on your record? misdemeanors dont mean anything really. i have one on my record and have cop friends that say they dont mean a thing. i have a class 3 misdemeanor and a stupid petty offense. whatever i can still buy guns and vote and do everything else people without misdemeanors do? and then you can tell chicks your a criminal hahaha!

Possible future employers?

busakiller

Established Member
This is terrible advice. As I said this is a criminal charge, not a civil infraction. You don't want a criminal conviction on your record.

SID297 - Attorney

Although you have made several valid points in this thread, my advice was to save the guy some money. Forking out a couple grand for a good lawyer with the possibility of still having a criminal charge doesnt make a whole lot of sense in my mind. And no offense was intended with my comment about lawyers, myself and the people around me have never had any real good luck with them.

AZ and TX is alot different than WV. Its old school out here. From personal experience, I've had quite a few criminal traffic violations. I've always had jobs that require a drivers liscence check. No problems here.

It's all personal preference and views I guess. You being a lawyer, I'd imagine a criminal charge would do more damage to you than most. Me, I could care less. From the sound of the OP playing XBOX and shit, i doubt he cares a whole lot either lol.

Last edited:

team808

Established Member
Thats crazy that they can lock you up for a wreckless!! Its true though "its just a fine and with a good mouthpiece you could get yourself out of most of the trouble".That would never fly in jersey.I was doing well over the speed limit about 6 months ago and the boys pulled out from a standstill.I murdered them, by the time they pulled out completely i had a huge stretch on them.I was racing some bullsh** turboed out civic so i would have been hit with a racing ticket,wreckless and all of that good stuff..The tickets would have came out to the same amount as alluding..Oh well let them work for there $..

DjKush

Established Member
i just gotta say thats stupid.. he pulled u over for "speeding" and he didnt even clock you? fight it by urself, and if you see that things get a bit complicated, call for an attorney. and man.. u should of booked it! ive done it a few times at night lol

BillsSnake

I am a retired LEO for Southern California and I can't believe you actually were arrested. You can Lawyer up and hope that the Lawyer can get this thing to go away or you can show up at the court date and hope the Judge makes this go away. I don't think you were reckless based on the information you provided. You were "in boost" which is not reckless driving. Keep us updated on this.

Reckless driving is a mental state in which the driver displays a wanton disregard for the rules of the road; the driver often misjudges common driving procedures, often causing accidents and other damages. Reckless driving has been studied by psychologists. However, no one cause can be assigned to this state.

MixMaker

I've got a fever!!
Established Member
Reckless driving is a mental state in which the driver displays a wanton disregard for the rules of the road; the driver often misjudges common driving procedures, often causing accidents and other damages.

I had total control of the vehicle, not spinning the tires, not going sideways....just speeding. I'm still unsure of what I want to do, but my first step is to call the courthouse to even see if I have a pending citation. Wouldn't I have been given a copy if that were the case?

DJkush, I never have and never will run from the cops. I'd like to think I'm a good driver...but it doesn't mean everyone else is. And with one minor slip up on my part I could take the life of someone innocent. I'd rather man up, pull over, and if I feel I was wrongfully arrested or given a citation I'd rather fight it after I'm off the road and in front of someone that can make that decision legally (judge).

Sid is correct about the future employers....as well as even trying to get a nice apartment or something like that. Me and a friend tried to get a place but she had some stuff on her record that kept her out of the deal.....and they kept my application fee!! :fm:

Stupercharged

Established Member
wow az is really lax on records i guess. at my work to be a driver you have to have less than 8 points haha thats like 3-4 speeding tickets! and as long as the criminal charge isnt a felony your basically good to go out here.

BillsSnake

show up in court looking like a good American.............Make the LEO prove his case. He will go first so pay attention and take notes. Question him about the charge against you and why he cited you for reckless driving. Actually why he even cited you at all. He is wrong in this case -- very wrong.Talk to the DA and see if they will drop the charge or make you a deal.

opie99

Established Member
it would be stupid to take the points. i was always told that if you take the points that you pay for it in the long run, idk like insurance. my gf couldnt get an apartment either for a long time because of a lil ticket. but i guess who needs a place to live when you can save a few dollars now:shrug:.......
thats stupid. and i was also told that the future is way over rated too. lol

even if you dont win, atleast you know you tried instead of just taking the ticket. you obvisouly sound like your pretty worried about.

just talk to one and get his legal advice on it. thats what i do every time i get a ticket.

04BLACKBLADE

99 Cobra
Established Member
I had total control of the vehicle, not spinning the tires, not going sideways....just speeding. I'm still unsure of what I want to do, but my first step is to call the courthouse to even see if I have a pending citation. Wouldn't I have been given a copy if that were the case?

DJkush, I never have and never will run from the cops. I'd like to think I'm a good driver...but it doesn't mean everyone else is. And with one minor slip up on my part I could take the life of someone innocent. I'd rather man up, pull over, and if I feel I was wrongfully arrested or given a citation I'd rather fight it after I'm off the road and in front of someone that can make that decision legally (judge).

Sid is correct about the future employers....as well as even trying to get a nice apartment or something like that. Me and a friend tried to get a place but she had some stuff on her record that kept her out of the deal.....and they kept my application fee!! :fm:

Reckless because of speeding......and what did the radar/laser say? (Or do they have calibrated eyesight now)
If it were me, I would at least go talk to an attorney that deals with traffic tickets. I used one when I live in Florida near Tampa a few times and he was always up front about what he could do with it and the cost. (usually it was just a fine and no points)

inuswo

Hopeless SVT Fan
Established Member
Reckless because of speeding......and what did the radar/laser say? (Or do they have calibrated eyesight now)
If it were me, I would at least go talk to an attorney that deals with traffic tickets. I used one when I live in Florida near Tampa a few times and he was always up front about what he could do with it and the cost. (usually it was just a fine and no points)

Thats the bullshit they pulled on me. I got hit for speeding once where I knew I wasn't going more than 10 over, yet on the ticket it said I was doing 130 in a 50. 130 is fast! You would know if you were doing 130. 60-70 is not 130! Even if you sound fast!

Anyways, the bike cop said he had to 'max his bike out' to catch up to me. So maybe he did 130 on the way to catch up to me and pull me over I don't know what the deal was, but his excuse in court was that officers have a 'trained eye' and are taught 'how to estimate speed by sight'. Its a total crock of shit.

DailyBlown

Established Member
I agree you should get a lawyer. I got pulled over (supposedly) doing a 110 mph in a 55 mph. A year later, I got pulled over 104 mph in a 55 mph. You don't want a criminal record, probation, and have it affect future employment. In the long run, you are better off getting a lawyer then not. You may pay a "arm and a leg," however you may not get jail time. It really depends on your prosecutors recommendation to the judge. Also, if any high profile case are in the news, for example some teenager wrecks into a tree and kills his classmates. Goodluck!

BacNBlak

WOODY
Established Member
Texas laws are BRUTAL! I was stationed in Gulfport, MS for several years and lemme tell ya, you can get away with anything there. Drag racing down highway 90, lasered at 94 mph and a very pathetic attempt at getting away....written warning.

Get the lawyer. Its shouldnt cost ya $2K. And like SID mentioned, future employment is huge. Dont take it lightly (which you arent). Show up in court with a good, professional attitude and you'll be set.

blownsvtlightning

Established Member
luckily, they let my buddy take it home with him.

I don't think they even clocked me...I still have yet to receive a ticket or anything. Just a court date...summons i guess you'd call it.
get a lawyer and fight it.... I used a lawyer to get out of a bad ticket once and it worked out great for me... where in TX are you? lawyer cost me 75 bucks total..

9red_lightning9

Established Member
If they did not clock you than you can not be charged with speeding.Thats BS. You should be able to fight it on your own. Maybe talk to a lawyer. I just gave one 3gs and he didnt do shat for me. I dont see how you can be charged if he has no proof.

MixMaker

I've got a fever!!
Established Member
get a lawyer and fight it.... I used a lawyer to get out of a bad ticket once and it worked out great for me... where in TX are you? lawyer cost me 75 bucks total..

I can swing $75 even if he just keeps me company while I wait for my name to be called, haha. I'm in west Tx. Midland/Odessa area. I'll call the courthouse in the morning and see if I have a ticket....I called the following monday but it was too soon and nothing was in their records.

Users who are viewing this thread