Trip To Jail

MixMaker

I've got a fever!!
Established Member
After watching the UFC fight last Saturday I offered to run home to get my XBox so we could play and drink a few beers since my buddy had set up the big TV in his garage. I came home but was in a hurry to get back so ppl wouldn't leave. I passed a 7-11 with the s/c whining a bit and my friend yells for me to turn...so I did and asked him what the hell is his problem. He replies "you didn't see all those cops back there?". I said no and stopped at the stop sign and see headlights behind us then the cop lights. I stay stopped and wait for them to pull behind me. Turn the truck off and sit with my hands on the steering wheel and answer all the cops questions, not being rude or anything. He does a sobriety test on me and can't believe that I'm sober...says "ok, you're good...put your hands behind your back". I think he thought that since I was speeding and turned the corner pretty fast that I was going to run from him....because he did comment "I'm glad you didn't try and put this power to use" and said he liked the truck and work done to it.

Long story short he booked me for "Reckless Driving". I have a court date Jan. 13th, but I don't know if I should get a lawyer or just pay the fines. Maximum penalty for this offense is a fine not to exceed $200 and/or 30 days in jail. I spent 14 hours in jail and I definitely don't want to go back. Suggestions?

Kind of funny now, but everybody in the holding cell is asking eachother what they're in there for. I hear "Cocaine", "DUI", "Warrants", and then it's my turn and I'm like "uhhhh, I was in a hurry to play XBox".

MixMaker

I've got a fever!!
Established Member
luckily, they let my buddy take it home with him.

I don't think they even clocked me...I still have yet to receive a ticket or anything. Just a court date...summons i guess you'd call it.

opie99

Established Member
sometimes cops can be the biggest douche bags, i have gotten 3 cni aka careless and inprudent drivin and each one of those are supposed to be 5 points on a license. i shouldnt even have a license anymore, i have an awsome lawyer. i would get one to be on the safe side.

BoostGhost

Established Member
That sucks that he actually arrested you... are you in a small town? I bet all the others in the holding cell moved over a little bit after they heard what the laws got you for. Hardened criminal.... lol!

inuswo

Hopeless SVT Fan
Established Member
While your arrest sounds harsh, Id much rather have that 14 hours in jail and a 200$ fine than the 560$ fine that I got slapped with for something similar.

30 days, would be insane though.

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
Yeah intake is not where you want to hang for 30 days.
Sucks man, get a lawyer and try and handle that shit. Its not like you ran

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
That is not just a speeding ticket (civil infraction), it's a criminal charge. If you are convicted you will have a misdemeanor on you record. Get an attorney.

busakiller

Established Member
I say save your money on legal council. Lawyers are just as bad as cops IMO. I'm not sure about TX, but in AZ if your record is pretty clean, they just issue 8 points and thats the end of it minus the fine. Look into the consequences before you get a lawyer.

My .02

divided

Established Member
Um whats the rest of the story? Cops dont arrest people for simply blipping the throttle. How fast were you actually going?

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
Still going though puberty?
Before I aged a few years, I'd get pissed off if the '49'er's would lose.
Now I could give a shit and those stupid fights you watch are ignant.
Jeff

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I say save your money on legal council. Lawyers are just as bad as cops IMO. I'm not sure about TX, but in AZ if your record is pretty clean, they just issue 8 points and thats the end of it minus the fine. Look into the consequences before you get a lawyer.

My .02

This is terrible advice. As I said this is a criminal charge, not a civil infraction. You don't want a criminal conviction on your record.

SID297 - Attorney

thorntonSVT

Established Member
Hmm I got like a 300 dollar ticket here in OK for my wreckless driving. Didn't have to go to jail or anything. Spoke with the DA and got it taken off of my record once I paid for it. Didn't have to go to court or anything. I was 17 at the time I think so it was probably totally different for you.

jbanach77

Established Member
he pulled you over for making a correct turn and stopping at a stop sign. you turned off your truck and passed a field sobriety test.....sounds like he was aggitated prior to seeing you. i would definately get a lawyer to protect your stance on that day. sounds to me like you were within your legal right of operating a motor vehicle and abided by the laws in place.

as mentioned before you dont want criminal charges. getting points is one thing but going back to county detention is another. i know i hated it when i had to go. and over nighters arent something to look forward to at the end of any week.

MixMaker

I've got a fever!!
Established Member
Um whats the rest of the story? Cops dont arrest people for simply blipping the throttle. How fast were you actually going?

That's the story....the officer explained that by going over the posted limit by so many miles it's considered reckless and they'll take you in. I was definitely in the wrong by speeding, but I would like to do whatever it takes to keep it off of my record and never return to jail if possible. I guess what I was really asking is: is it possible to lessen the charges or change the sentencing alone, or is the attorney the only real way to go about it?

As far as puberty goes...I don't care about UFC or the 49ers, but I enjoy XBox from time to time. Haha

Users who are viewing this thread