Trinity article about motors blowing up

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Lol this same thing just got posted in Facebook. This what I have to say about it

This article is stupid, make sure once you start making more power to always run good fuel, keep your shifts around 6k and have a good tuner. The 5.8s and 5.4s can handle 800whp with no issues.

The 5.8s are impressive engines and make big power reliably. Here is a good article to read.
2013 Ford Shelby GT500 Trinity 5.8L V8 - Power Of Three - 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords Magazine

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Lol this same thing just got posted in Facebook. This what I have to say about it

This article is stupid, make sure once you start making more power to always run good fuel, keep your shifts around 6k and have a good tuner. The 5.8s and 5.4s can handle 800whp with no issues.

The 5.8s are impressive engines and make big power reliably. Here is a good article to read.
2013 Ford Shelby GT500 Trinity 5.8L V8 - Power Of Three - 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords Magazine
+1 to all of this!

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
Anyone check this out?
A Failure Of One GT500's 5.8-liter Trinity Engine
I hear a bunch of stuff about the motors but didn't think 700 rwhp would do it? Thought 750 to 800 rwhp and rev were the killers. Thoughts anyone?

6b3f9c5b2aa9e2fcc8be509400550b4c.jpg

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
@WicK, your titles says "motorS blowing up". The article is about ONE motor blowing up. That aside, from the article....."After speaking with the owner it was clear that the engine was accelerating through the engine range, therefore failure could not have occurred from over-speeding the engine." Yeah, right....let's just take the owner's comment as gospel and rule out over-revving the engine. Really? :rolleyes:o_O

Funny that we have lots of '13-'14 GT-500 owners here making north of 700hp and they seem to be just fine. IMO there are too many unknowns to give much credence to that article. Show me proof of multiple engine failures (with a solid tune and supporting fuel mods) that prove the points the author is trying to make.

WicK

2 fast 4 u
Established Member
@WicK, your titles says "motorS blowing up". The article is about ONE motor blowing up. That aside, from the article....."After speaking with the owner it was clear that the engine was accelerating through the engine range, therefore failure could not have occurred from over-speeding the engine." Yeah, right....let's just take the owner's comment as gospel and rule out over-revving the engine. Really? :rolleyes:o_O

Funny that we have lots of '13-'14 GT-500 owners here making north of 700hp and they seem to be just fine. IMO there are too many unknowns to give much credence to that article. Show me proof of multiple engine failures (with a solid tune and supporting fuel mods) that prove the points the author is trying to make.
Very true and well said! Phew!

RockChalk

Established Member
Anyone check this out?
A Failure Of One GT500's 5.8-liter Trinity Engine
I hear a bunch of stuff about the motors but didn't think 700 rwhp would do it? Thought 750 to 800 rwhp and rev were the killers. Thoughts anyone?
I stopped reading when you mentioned Facebook. We do not do Facebook, Twitter, Tiki's Tok or any of that other social media horse hockey. Message boards such as this one? Yes, guilty as charged. I don't abuse my GT500 and never will.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
You must be on gt500 nation! Lol
I am, sometimes I don't know why. The misinformation out there on these engines is unreal and everyone is a expert. But it's like that with most car forums

Cobra Therapy

Established Member
What i have seen lately is alot of people talking down on the 13-14 GT500.They have been saying the motor and trans are outdated ,and some of that talk is from 2020 GT500 guys.Some have suggested that alot of 13-14 motors blow up.I believe like most guys on here say to a degree,if them cars arent tuned right with the right things behind it,it will blow up.I think a built 5.8 would put out more power than a built 5.2.

WicK

2 fast 4 u
Established Member
What i have seen lately is alot of people talking down on the 13-14 GT500.They have been saying the motor and trans are outdated ,and some of that talk is from 2020 GT500 guys.Some have suggested that alot of 13-14 motors blow up.I believe like most guys on here say to a degree,if them cars arent tuned right with the right things behind it,it will blow up.I think a built 5.8 would put out more power than a built 5.2.
Our cars are older for sure there's no question about that. That doesn't mean that they aren't good lol. Just seeing what everyone is experiencing. The new gt500s are exactly that, new. They will have their own problems eventually. I for sure love my car, as do many others that see it.

Cobra Therapy

Established Member
Our cars are older for sure there's no question about that. That doesn't mean that they aren't good lol. Just seeing what everyone is experiencing. The new gt500s are exactly that, new. They will have their own problems eventually. I for sure love my car, as do many others that see it.
I hear ya on that,I luv my 2014 GT500 and would NOT trade it in on a new one.I dont like the front end of the new one.One thing is for sure is,the 13-14 GT500 was the last cars SHELBY had his hands on!!!!

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Yes, guilty as charged. I don't abuse my GT500 and never will.

Define abuse

.I think a built 5.8 would put out more power than a built 5.2.

Source? Or are you just guessing?

OP... as mentioned earlier, your motor will live quite a long life at 800whp IF:

—you do not rev over 6500 rpm. Your rods suck balls and will crumble like coffee cake with excessive 7000 rpm blasts at ANY power level. Keep the rpm down.
—you run quality fuel ALWAYS and run a quality/known tuner.
—you don’t “shock” or overload the rods at low rpm. Never never never go WOT in 6th gear at low speed.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
The 5.8 is the last of its kind, everything from this point on will be coyote based. The 13/14 TR6060 is extremely strong, a well built 5.8 can make 1300whp and still be streetable, the 5.2 can probably make similar power but will never make the TQ of the 5.8.
Oh, not you. Wasn't meaning or implying you at all.

People who trash the 5.8 and say it's not a good motor.
The people that talk the most shit about the 5.8 is 11/12 owners lol.

Cobra Therapy

Established Member
Define abuse

Source? Or are you just guessing?

OP... as mentioned earlier, your motor will live quite a long life at 800whp IF:

—you do not rev over 6500 rpm. Your rods suck balls and will crumble like coffee cake with excessive 7000 rpm blasts at ANY power level. Keep the rpm down.
—you run quality fuel ALWAYS and run a quality/known tuner.
—you don’t “shock” or overload the rods at low rpm. Never never never go WOT in 6th gear at low speed.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
I did say I THINK.

Users who are viewing this thread