Transmission options

Which transmission is best for my needs?

• T56

Votes: 28 45.9%
  • TKO 600

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • ProMotion built T45

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • 4R70W

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Push your car off a cliff.

Votes: 9 14.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nazman

Established Member
Pro-Motion build 3650 on my car for 2 1/2 years. About 100 1/4 mile passes, 6500+RPMs launches on slicks, nitrous, turbo and shifts over 7500RPMs!

Naz

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
i voted option 5, but a ProMo 3650 is a good choice. i will be sending one there in the near future as well

Orange Stang 04

Electric Green FTW
Established Member
No. It took about a 1K miles to break in and after that she has delivered!

Yeah it must have! I've seen how your car launches and... :eek: If it can handle that, my little blower setup wont even make it break a sweat! :lol1:

Well, I'm gonna have to say I'm leaning towards ProMotion at this point. Looks like I'll be giving them a call in the next couple of days! Thanks for the input everyone.

cobraracer46

Banned
T45: a pain to install, especially with long tube headers, only has 5 forward speeds.

T56: very easy to install, especially with long tube headers, Double overdrive, Viper version has a 650 ft pd tq capacity.

T56 is the best trans for a cobra.

Mt Twigbert

Established Member
I say if you have stupid amounts of money, time and knowledge then do the T56..

Buuuuuttttt, they cost about $2,000+, you will need a new drive shaft and you have no idea the condition of the unit..

Or, for $2,000 you can get a brand new, fully built T45 or 3650 that you don't have to change a darn thing to make it work..

Orange Stang 04

Electric Green FTW
Established Member
I say if you have stupid amounts of money, time and knowledge then do the T56..

Buuuuuttttt, they cost about $2,000+, you will need a new drive shaft and you have no idea the condition of the unit..

Or, for $2,000 you can get a brand new, fully built T45 or 3650 that you don't have to change a darn thing to make it work..

My thoughts exactly. No doubt about it, the t56 is a great transmission, but I think the ProMotion T45 will be a much better option for me, it will easily hold the power, would be brand new, I already have a good shifter for it, and I dont need anything else to make it work like you said.

droptopsnake01

N/A FTW!
Established Member
My thoughts exactly. No doubt about it, the t56 is a great transmission, but I think the ProMotion T45 will be a much better option for me, it will easily hold the power, would be brand new, I already have a good shifter for it, and I dont need anything else to make it work like you said.

The promotion tranny is a good one, it was going to be a hard choice for me aswell, that is until I bought a T-56 w/ a Pro 5.0 shifter, stg3 clutch and aluminum flywheel for $1000 :banana:

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
T45: a pain to install, especially with long tube headers, only has 5 forward speeds.

T56: very easy to install, especially with long tube headers, Double overdrive, Viper version has a 650 ft pd tq capacity.

T56 is the best trans for a cobra that doesn't drag race.

fixed.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
come on Mike, just do the t45. order it now as i've heard there can be a bit of a wait sometimes...

in my opinion, having 2 overdrive gears is about as useless as it gets. i mean what, are you gonna race in 5th??? racing is done in 1st-4th, overdirven gears are for the highway. do you really need 2? 5th in a t45/3650 is plenty low and really not much higher than 6th in the 03/04 cobra t56....

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Promo T45 or 3650...

The TKO is OK i never had any problems shifting at high rpms with one (not my car).
Having shifted a TKO600 at 7k an a Votech 96 Cobra w/4.10s i can say i would buy one however i like the Promo built beasts better

Oh and **** a T56 lol

Last edited:

Orange Stang 04

Electric Green FTW
Established Member
come on Mike, just do the t45. order it now as i've heard there can be a bit of a wait sometimes...

in my opinion, having 2 overdrive gears is about as useless as it gets. i mean what, are you gonna race in 5th??? racing is done in 1st-4th, overdirven gears are for the highway. do you really need 2? 5th in a t45/3650 is plenty low and really not much higher than 6th in the 03/04 cobra t56....

Well, no rush, the snow has already started to come down here, so the car is done for the season anyways.

And thats exactly how I feel about the t56 as well, I had a chance at one locally but passed. The plan for right now though is for the t45.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
I'm curious if you have one Po-po. I got one when I was planning for boost. Even with 4.30's out back it is not much better than stock. I actually get annoyed with it at times and haven't quite figured out the shift pattern yet. Downshifting and missing gears sucks. It makes you look and feel like a total newb. But, I have too much invested in it now so I'm going to make it work. It's a D&D unit that has been upgraded to 28 spline input shaft, hardened everything, it's supposed to hold like 700 ftlbs or something, I don't remember. Plus, the custom Al driveshaft, ect. I'm looking at 4.88's now. I'm also going to tear into my T-45 to see what broke and see if a gear swap in the tranny is all that hard. I may try to get some lower gears for 1-3 in the T-56 if it's not that bad. I will say that I can pull the tranny in about an hour now. While that's a plus, I wouldn't say it makes the T-56 worth it over a built 5 speed. I wish I was a member here when I broke my T-45. I didn't know anything about Promotion :(

Users who are viewing this thread