Transmission options

Which transmission is best for my needs?

• T56

Votes: 28 45.9%
  • TKO 600

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • ProMotion built T45

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • 4R70W

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Push your car off a cliff.

Votes: 9 14.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Actually, do the math, for first gear, 2.66(first in the Viper T-56) x 4.30 = 11.43 / 3.37(first in the T-45)= 3.39. So with your 4.30s and your Viper spec T-56, you have effectively upgraded to 3.39 rear gears from 3.27. Just do what I do and keep telling yourself it's great for na to try and justify the cost. It sure sounds sexy to say I have a Viper spec T-56, but it just doesn't make the most sense. As for the 00R, it has something we don't have, torque, and lots of it. Ever wonder why back in the muscle car heyday a 4.10 gear was considered really steep and now we put those in like it's nothing? Those big blocks didn't need to rev to 7k to be effective.

Oh, and this is from some one who has one as well.

po-po 5.0

Established Member
Show me 1 N/A bolt-on 4.6 car that is going fast with a T56 and I'll show you 3 or more that are going fast with a T45. There must be a reason. -Mark
A reason like......the T45 came in the car stock? This is not a good comparison.

This argument is a little retarded. Gear multiplication in first is NOT the end-all be-all of transmission choice. If it were, we'd all be trying to bolt up ZF S542 which has a 5.42:1 first gear.

Last edited:

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
A reason like......the T45 came in the car stock? This is not a good comparison.

This argument is a little retarded. Gear multiplication in first is NOT the end-all be-all of transmission choice. If it were, we'd all be trying to bolt up ZF S542 which has a 5.42:1 first gear.

True, but for an na, read non-torque producing, 4.6 32v, why would you reduce first gear? That is what gets you out of the hole. I'm sure if you do enough math and fabrication, you can find a better transmission for the "perfect" setup. On top of that, any version of the T-56 doesn't get the same ratio until 4th, they both have 1:1. So we are talking about more than just first here.

po-po 5.0

Established Member
True, but for an na, read non-torque producing, 4.6 32v, why would you reduce first gear? That is what gets you out of the hole. I'm sure if you do enough math and fabrication, you can find a better transmission for the "perfect" setup. On top of that, any version of the T-56 doesn't get the same ratio until 4th, they both have 1:1. So we are talking about more than just first here.

True. Have you looked at the other ratios? Has anyone discussed the other ratios? Nope. The T45 actually has lower (numerically) second gear than the T56. So that same no-torque-producing, high-revving 32v ford stays higher up in the rev range between gears!

I'm not going to say that the T56 is the end-all be-all transmission. What I will say is that people aren't looking at all aspects of this choice.

omj

Established Member
I have a T56. I think the loss in first gear acceleration is made up for by launching at a higher RPM than with the T45. I also noticed that I am always higher in the revs after each shift than with my T45. I think the T56 is a little soft in 1st but that is made up for in the subsequent gears.

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
True. Have you looked at the other ratios? Has anyone discussed the other ratios? Nope. The T45 actually has lower (numerically) second gear than the T56. So that same no-torque-producing, high-revving 32v ford stays higher up in the rev range between gears!

See my other post in the other tranny thread in this section. I gave examples of both trannys with 4.30/4.56/4.88 gears. For drag racing a T56 is the last tranny I'd go with. But people will do what they want to do. I'll be at the finish line waiting for them. :pepper:

-Mark

Last edited:

po-po 5.0

Established Member
See my other post in the other tranny thread in this section. I gave examples of both trannys with 4.30/4.56/4.88 gears. For drag racing a T56 is the last tranny I'd go with. But people will do what they want to do. I'll be at the finish line waiting for them. :pepper:

-Mark

And while you're putting your car back on the trailer, I'd be cruising at a comfortable rpm in 6th gear on the way home.

Unless your car is a dedicated racecar, you have to make sacrifices. Some people will sacrifice freeway rpms for .1s in the 1320. Me, I'll get that .1s elsewhere, and take my comfortable 80 mph cruise.

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
And while you're putting your car back on the trailer, I'd be cruising at a comfortable rpm in 6th gear on the way home.

Unless your car is a dedicated racecar, you have to make sacrifices. Some people will sacrifice freeway rpms for .1s in the 1320. Me, I'll get that .1s elsewhere, and take my comfortable 80 mph cruise.

There's nothing uncomfortable about my 3k RPM highway cruising. Why is it so damn hard for the few of you to understand the facts about these transmissions. YES, they're great transmissions. YES, they very durable. THEY SUCK for drag racing unless you're making some good torque numbers! No one is denying how good of a trans the T56 is, we're simply saying they suck for the application you're talking about. FFS!

Orange Stang 04

Electric Green FTW
Established Member
And so the journey shall begin.

IMG_0035.jpg

Took the car to a local performance shop (BigShot Dyno) and am planning on ordering a Pro-Motion T45 soon.

Orange Stang 04

Electric Green FTW
Established Member
hahahahahaha.

I feel your pain brother...how much they chargin ya for labor?

I'm not sure right now, a little while ago I was quoted around $300-$400 depending on what all they had to do.

So lets figure $350 for labor, $1500 for trans, $250ish in shipping, $350 for new clutch I think...Ouch, I need a better job.

Users who are viewing this thread