Transmission options

Which transmission is best for my needs?

• T56

Votes: 28 45.9%
  • TKO 600

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • ProMotion built T45

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • 4R70W

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Push your car off a cliff.

Votes: 9 14.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

po-po 5.0

Established Member
I'm curious if you have one Po-po. I got one when I was planning for boost. Even with 4.30's out back it is not much better than stock. I actually get annoyed with it at times and haven't quite figured out the shift pattern yet. Downshifting and missing gears sucks. It makes you look and feel like a total newb. But, I have too much invested in it now so I'm going to make it work. It's a D&D unit that has been upgraded to 28 spline input shaft, hardened everything, it's supposed to hold like 700 ftlbs or something, I don't remember. Plus, the custom Al driveshaft, ect. I'm looking at 4.88's now. I'm also going to tear into my T-45 to see what broke and see if a gear swap in the tranny is all that hard. I may try to get some lower gears for 1-3 in the T-56 if it's not that bad. I will say that I can pull the tranny in about an hour now. While that's a plus, I wouldn't say it makes the T-56 worth it over a built 5 speed. I wish I was a member here when I broke my T-45. I didn't know anything about Promotion :(

You're curious if I have a T56? In my '01? No, I don't. I still have the T45. However, I've driven an NA '01 equipped with a viper spec T56 with the .75 and .5 ODs + 4.30s. The car was a frickin' MONSTER on the street/strip (well....for an NA 4v), and would cruise at 80 all day while getting 23 mpg. Even with stock everything and 4.10s on my car, I can't pull down that kind of mileage at 75!

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
You're curious if I have a T56? In my '01? No, I don't. I still have the T45. However, I've driven an NA '01 equipped with a viper spec T56 with the .75 and .5 ODs + 4.30s. The car was a frickin' MONSTER on the street/strip (well....for an NA 4v), and would cruise at 80 all day while getting 23 mpg. Even with stock everything and 4.10s on my car, I can't pull down that kind of mileage at 75!

umm your 01 should have a TR3650 unless you or someone else put the T45 in it

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Yea, i screwed up. I have a '99, the car I drove with the T56 was an '01. I have a T45.

I should learn to proofread :bash:

it's all good lol

i can't remember my own home phone number lolololol

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
What was in that 01? I have all the bolts ons and I was really dissapointed when I drove it hard the first time. I did the gears and the tranny at the same time. I didn't really get the benefit from the 4.30's. I thought I had the Viper spec but doing some math I think I got the 00R with upgraded internals. There was over a year between buying it and being able to drive it hard. FWIW, I was getting about 26 mpg highway with my T-45. I haven't done any long trips with the T-56, but city hasn't been any better than my T-45 was.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
I will say the T-56 is a great tranny in the right application. I even voted for it to the op. Blown cars it works well for, but for na it's geared too high.

cobrasvtcoupe25

Established Member
Well, no rush, the snow has already started to come down here, so the car is done for the season anyways.

And thats exactly how I feel about the t56 as well, I had a chance at one locally but passed. The plan for right now though is for the t45.

You can't go wrong with a T45 Promotion. Good choice:beer:

You are wrong.

:poke:

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Ok cobraracer, here is your chance to explain to SVTP how exactly a Viper spec T-56 with the high as crap first gear of 2.66 is even remotely "perfect" for an na 4.6. I really want to hear this.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
he has no reason...like many others guys put the T56 into their N/a GTs and Cobras and then realize that it actually hurt performance in terms of acceleration

don't get me wrong it's a nice trans but it sucks in an N/A app that makes less than 400bhp

cobraracer46

Banned
he has no reason...like many others guys put the T56 into their N/a GTs and Cobras and then realize that it actually hurt performance in terms of acceleration

don't get me wrong it's a nice trans but it sucks in an N/A app that makes less than 400bhp

Double "O", you are just a bit off track with your statments.:poke: Like I have said a million times, I am very happy with the Viper T56 that I installed in my Cobra and to me, the Viper set up compliments a 4:30 rear end gear quite nicely and feels very good on the street. Plus, once I'm ready to significantly step up the horsepower in my Cobra, the Viper T56 will be more than ready to handle it.
Furthermore,I have seen at least one N/A Cobra snap a input shat on a 5 speed trans and since the Cobra is the only car I own, the reliability that the Viper T56 offerd with a 650+ torque capacity was reason enough for me to get it. Of course, the .50 6th gear in the Viper T56 means that RPM's are in the mid 2000 range at 85MPH!
Take it from a guy that has a real Viper T56: it is an awsome transmission and with right rear end gear for your combination, you get performance and bullet proof reliability. A viper T56 definatly deos not suck for NA cars!

On a side note, a couple of years ago, I test drove a 2000 Cobra R with the stock T56 and stock rear 3:55 gears and the acceleration in that car felt strong. For those of you that are on the fence as to what trans to put in your car, get a T56 and don't look back.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Sure the Cobra R with it's T56 is great...it makes nearly 400HP N/A.

Like i said though the T56 is a great trans but not for a N/a 4.6...you even said it. "4.30s compliment the T56" they sure as hell do but those 4.30s and the T56 are similar to 3.73s with a stock 3650, T45, or T5

Last edited:

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
Show me 1 N/A bolt-on 4.6 car that is going fast with a T56 and I'll show you 3 or more that are going fast with a T45. There must be a reason. -Mark

Users who are viewing this thread