Transmission fluid you use that IMPROVED shifting over stock

Which transmission fluid have you used in your T56 with better shifting noticeable

• GM SynchroMesh

Votes: 160 30.7%
  • Amsoil ATF

Votes: 27 5.2%
  • Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF

Votes: 74 14.2%
  • Royal Purple SynchroMax

Votes: 100 19.2%
  • Castrol Syntorq

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Other

Votes: 158 30.3%

• Total voters

CY98Cobra

Established Member
i just recently put an 03 t56 in my car and i love the tranny but i have noticed its hard to shift when cold. would changing fluid help?

04torchred

Established Member
I am running the royal purple syncromax. Seems like it made shifting smoother. I ran this over the GM syncromesh because the GM stuff is a semi-synthetic. I might try the GM syncromesh fluid next time I change the oil to see if it is better. But my vote goes to Royal Purple, working great so far.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Black98COBRA said:
i just recently put an 03 t56 in my car and i love the tranny but i have noticed its hard to shift when cold. would changing fluid help?
Not sure about the other products, but Amsoil fluid made my T-56 harder to shift during the cold months. I went back to the stock fluid and it was much better.

Mike_Hawk

Too Much Juice
Established Member
Quick n00b question. Can someone tell me how to change the fluid? A summary and tips would be great. Thanks!

Mike_Hawk

Too Much Juice
Established Member
I've been trying to find info on the GM Synchromesh. There's a "normal" one and a "friction modified" one which is supposedly better.
Which is the right one, the one that everyone's using?
Also, is the GM stuff the same as the Pennzoil?
Where's the best place to get the GM stuff? From GM?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
moonlt said:
Royal Purple here. By the way, stock is Mobil 1 ATF. I just think RP is smoother, especially on the 1-2 shift.
Ditto to what Stngstr said. Mobil 1 ATF is NOT what Ford uses.

moonltgold

stock tranny fluid brand

StngStr said:
no, stock is not Mobil 1 ATF.

In my Mustang owner's manual (publication 1R3J-19A321-AC), pg. 209, Capacities and Specifications, 3rd line down on chart, for 4.6 manual transmission fluid, it says "Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF" under the "Ford part name" column. I would be curious to know what yours says. Interesting.

vipergts281

Established Member
Mike_Hawk said:
I've been trying to find info on the GM Synchromesh. There's a "normal" one and a "friction modified" one which is supposedly better.
Which is the right one, the one that everyone's using?
Also, is the GM stuff the same as the Pennzoil?
Where's the best place to get the GM stuff? From GM?
I'd like to know as well. I've heard they make only one kind and now I see this post. :shrug:

And I've heard two stories on how to change the fluid.............

1. You can pour it in where your shifter is after you take it off.

2. Jack the car up and put it on 4 stands so it is level and then fill it up until you see it in the overfill.

Is the first method better? Can I just pour 4 quarts in and be done with it?

vipergts281

Established Member
vipergts281 said:
I'd like to know as well. I've heard they make only one kind and now I see this post. :shrug:

And I've heard two stories on how to change the fluid.............

1. You can pour it in where your shifter is after you take it off.

2. Jack the car up and put it on 4 stands so it is level and then fill it up until you see it in the overfill.

Is the first method better? Can I just pour 4 quarts in and be done with it?
Anyone?

Screamn03

Snake In The Weeds
Established Member
I voted for Syncromesh.

I'm using Syncromesh and XL-7 Friction Modifier in mine. I had a thread going hereabout what I used. It was the Friction Modified version of Syncromesh GM part number #12377916. I used four quarts and later added about 2oz of Motorcraft part#XL-7 Friction Modifier. The car shifts great and I won't be switching back to regular ATF.

I never really liked how the car shifted since I bought it and after about 6K miles I drained and re-filled the trans with regular Penzoil ATF-DMIII. Shifting didn't really get any better and at 12K is when I switched to the Syncromesh.

The T56 takes about 4 quarts. It doesn't make any difference how you put it in as long as you get the four quarts in it. I've done it both ways and liked the 'pour it through the shifter hole' way better because it was less messy. I did it this way on a friends car when we were putting in his shifter. I don't think I'll take everything apart inside the car to do it this way though. The drain plug is towards the back on the passenger side of the trans. The fill plug is in the middle of the driverside. It uses a 3/8" square drive (rachet) to remove the plugs.

My friend is using the Royal Purple Sycromax in his car and that is also a great fluid to keep in mind. I like the way his car shifts also.

Mike_Hawk

Too Much Juice
Established Member
So you used the friction modified version and still put in friction modifier? May I ask why? :??:

Scream'n03 said:
I voted for Syncromesh.

I'm using Syncromesh and XL-7 Friction Modifier in mine. I had a thread going hereabout what I used. It was the Friction Modified version of Syncromesh GM part number #12377916. I used four quarts and later added about 2oz of Motorcraft part#XL-7 Friction Modifier. The car shifts great and I won't be switching back to regular ATF.

I never really liked how the car shifted since I bought it and after about 6K miles I drained and re-filled the trans with regular Penzoil ATF-DMIII. Shifting didn't really get any better and at 12K is when I switched to the Syncromesh.

The T56 takes about 4 quarts. It doesn't make any difference how you put it in as long as you get the four quarts in it. I've done it both ways and liked the 'pour it through the shifter hole' way better because it was less messy. I did it this way on a friends car when we were putting in his shifter. I don't think I'll take everything apart inside the car to do it this way though. The drain plug is towards the back on the passenger side of the trans. The fill plug is in the middle of the driverside. It uses a 3/8" square drive (rachet) to remove the plugs.

My friend is using the Royal Purple Sycromax in his car and that is also a great fluid to keep in mind. I like the way his car shifts also.

DR. WU 2000

mmm....turbo 4
Established Member
Someone help us out here with how you put in new fluid for christs sake. About to change mine out, need some info please. Thank you for you kindness. :beer:

Mike_Hawk

Too Much Juice
Established Member
DR. WU 2000 said:
Someone help us out here with how you put in new fluid for christs sake. About to change mine out, need some info please. Thank you for you kindness. :beer:
I believe you just take the drain plug out to drain it. Then either take off the shifter and fill it through there or use the fill hole. You'll need something to pump it into the fill hole though. 4 quarts.

Users who are viewing this thread