Trans fluid question

graveyard

Established Member
HEY GUYS I am going to change trans fluid in my 04 cobra t-56 i belive it is,i put a shifter in the other day and noticed it was a little dirty,i know they are different opinons on oil to use but what is the best oil to put back in the 6-speed or should i use what ford calls for in it let me know and how much does it take to fill it back up,car has around 40,000 miles
Thanks guys:beer:

Savn4Mods

You serious Clark?
Established Member
I agree you will get MANY answers to this and it is all subjective without any data to prove which is better and why.

I have used RP for quite a while and so has my dad in his mustang. No complaints.

Last edited:

graveyard

Established Member
I agree you will get MANY answers to this and it is all subjective without any data to prove which is better and why.

I have used RP for quite a while and so has my dad in his mustang. No complaints.

Thanks guys for the imput:beer:

greengt88

Established Member
RP here too, Been in there for about 10k mi. Really helped out the shifting issues, well, atleast when it's warmed up. Gonna switch it to Amsoil this time around. Not sure which of their fluids to use in it though. any suggestions??

greengt88

Established Member
^^Muchos Gracias^^ I looked at the site, i just couldn't decide which was the best choice. 4qts right? I actually signed up for a 6mo. trial membership w/ Amsoil, u get an additional 25% off of the price. It cost $10 with the order i placed for oil/filter. It's great stuff, one of the top 3 oil companies for sure.

04nccobra

Established Member
I had my T56 oil changed to Amsoil product, not sure which one though. The transmission feels great with it but I do get a strong transmission oil smell in the car from time to time which was not present prior to the changeover. After researching this issue it is not uncommon. I will probably change it over to another brand soon to see if the smell goes away.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
Here is the answer you will get directly from Tremec if you ask about the T-56:

"Thank you for your interest in the Tremec Product Line. We recommend Mobile 1 synthetic AFT for your application. Please contact us if we can be of further assistance."

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Another happy Royal Purple user here.
synchromax.gif

It's been in for about 4 years. RP in the IRS(no cooler) and engine(road race pan) too.

RP makes me and my 04 ->:-D

HoosierDave

My other car is 03 Cobra
Established Member
Just last month I swapped out my stock fluid for Royal Purple, and I can tell a definite improvement. The transmission seems less "notchy" now.

Users who are viewing this thread