trading 2008 Z06 for 2013 Boss

DRock9

Established Member
I'm going to go to the dealer tomorrow to talk about a 2013 Boss...going to see if he can eat either all or half of the Recaro option and I will buy it on the spot.

I was just in there a month ago and the salesman also had a Fox and we talked for a while about them. I mean if they are already making $6k off me maybe they will take a little hit since it won't sit on the lot.

Gonna walk in with $5k and put it down on his desk, I will let you all know how it goes haha.

Wish me luck.

FKing1

Established Member
I'm going to go to the dealer tomorrow to talk about a 2013 Boss...going to see if he can eat either all or half of the Recaro option and I will buy it on the spot.

I was just in there a month ago and the salesman also had a Fox and we talked for a while about them. I mean if they are already making $6k off me maybe they will take a little hit since it won't sit on the lot.

Gonna walk in with $5k and put it down on his desk, I will let you all know how it goes haha.

Wish me luck.

Good luck getting a 2013 at under MSRP. A 12 maybe, but , would be surprised if a 13.

03ShadowCobra

To the Hindenpeter!!!
Established Member
stack of cash really doesn't matter you're only talking about what 500-1k off sticker price. I guess it's possible, i'd just leave the cash in your pocket.

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
Absolutely. My Boss with bolt-ons will run with a stock C6Z all day, up till about 120'ish. I took both of my C6Z's down the strip a few hundred times and bone stock they trap low 120's in "normal" conditions (*outside of the extreme negative DA conditions/ATCO/MIR/etc). I bolted on an exhaust, cold air intake and no tune and trapped 120 with my Boss. Now that I'm tuned I'm guessing she will pick up a few mph, making it a drivers race.

As a matter of fact, I enjoy driving my Boss more then the Z. The 3.73's + 7650 rpm limit make it a nasty como on the street, maximizing power + traction. No doubt the Z is king at high speeds and roll racing, but those days are over for me. Its hard to consistently/thoroughly enjoy a car that has zero traction under 60mph/1st gear, and i hated having to run MT's in order to get any traction period. That was also a pita with my 2011 Shelby GT500. When I drive my Boss I stand on the throttle everywhere I go and she handles it with grace :lol1:

Aside from those personal preferences, I also got tired of driving a corvette, even if it was a Z06.

You mean the car with less power doesn't spin the tires as much?
I think you are skewing the times A LOT by quoating "normal" times for the Z and then your best trap in the Boss. There was a stock Z at the track a while back, and the guy has never been before, and he was trapping 125. To say that they are close 120 is akin to saying they are close through a quarter mile.

Last edited:

burnin4

Car Junkie
Established Member
You mean the car with less power doesn't spin the tires as much?
I think you are skewing the times A LOT by quoating "normal" times for the Z and then your best trap in the Boss. There was a stock Z at the track a while back, and the guy has never been before, and he was trapping 125. To say that they are close 120 is akin to saying they are close through a quarter mile.

I'm not skewing anything. I'm comparing my times from both of my C6Z's against my Boss, same drag strip as well. I'm also taking into consideration the Corvette Forum Fast List, which keeps a pretty good registry of the fastest C6Z's in the country (not all of them). When you look at the top 31 fastest C6Z's on the list, only 5 of them trap over 125mph, and 3 of them are fastest in the world, all from MIR.

Outside of the magical/miracle drag strips in the Northeast (ATCO/MIR) I have the 3rd fastest pass in a bone stock C6Z/stock tires on the forum, 11.50 @ 123. I also have one of the fastest pass's on this site in a bone stock Boss/117.99mph. I get the most out of my cars, in the given conditions. I dont leave much on the table when I'm at the drag strip.

I'm basing my opinion from sheer data as well as first hand experiences. Of course there will always be an anomaly, but I'm here to tell you that my Boss with bolt-ons will run door to door with a stock C6Z through the quarter mile. I guarantee you I'll beat one if I get the jump or the C6Z driver isn't completely on top of his game. He WILL be playing catch up, and yes he will be leaving me behind at 120+.

I dont understand why this is hard to believe? I bolted on an exhaust and cold air, no tune and trapped 120mph with my Boss. I'm assuming my JMS tune gained some power/mph. My stock C6Z's trapped 120-123, 100's of pass's.

Yes, the Boss makes less power compared to a Z, but I wasnt comparing a stock Boss to a C6Z. The Boss ABSOLUTELY puts the power down to the ground in 1st & 2nd gear better then a Z, that's why I stated that my Boss with bolt-ons will run with a Z till 120'ish.

The good news is that I'm headed back to the strip on 2/25. In usual fashion, I'll be recording every pass and posting up for the forum to enjoy :beer:

The C6 Z06 Fast List - Corvette Forum

Last edited:

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
I'm not skewing anything. I'm comparing my times from both of my C6Z's against my Boss, same drag strip as well. I'm also taking into consideration the Corvette Forum Fast List, which keeps a pretty good registry of the fastest C6Z's in the country (not all of them). When you look at the top 31 fastest C6Z's on the list, only 5 of them trap over 125mph, and 3 of them are fastest in the world, all from MIR.

Outside of the magical/miracle drag strips in the Northeast (ATCO/MIR) I have the 3rd fastest pass in a bone stock C6Z/stock tires on the forum, 11.50 @ 123. I also have one of the fastest pass's on this site in a bone stock Boss/117.99mph. I get the most out of my cars, in the given conditions. I dont leave much on the table when I'm at the drag strip.

I'm basing my opinion from sheer data as well as first hand experiences. Of course there will always be an anomaly, but I'm here to tell you that my Boss with bolt-ons will run door to door with a stock C6Z through the quarter mile. I guarantee you I'll beat one if I get the jump or the C6Z driver isn't completely on top of his game. He WILL be playing catch up, and yes he will be leaving me behind at 120+.

I dont understand why this is hard to believe? I bolted on an exhaust and cold air, no tune and trapped 120mph with my Boss. I'm assuming my JMS tune gained some power/mph. My stock C6Z's trapped 120-123, 100's of pass's.

Yes, the Boss makes less power compared to a Z, but I wasnt comparing a stock Boss to a C6Z. The Boss ABSOLUTELY puts the power down to the ground in 1st & 2nd gear better then a Z, that's why I stated that my Boss with bolt-ons will run with a Z till 120'ish.

The good news is that I'm headed back to the strip on 2/25. In usual fashion, I'll be recording every pass and posting up for the forum to enjoy :beer:

The C6 Z06 Fast List - Corvette Forum

You don't think you are skewing anything? How many times have you trapped 120+ in your boss? Don't you think it could be wheel spin related?

Do you want to know why it is hard to belive? For arguements sake, lets say your bolt ons netted the 60hp difference between the cars (probably a little less, but it makes it easier this way). Now you want everyone to believe the 532lb weight difference between the cars doesn't matter all all in the quarter mile. Really????

I am sure your car on a drag radial might be able to piss off even a well driven Z on stock tires, but with equal driver kung-fu, and both cars on drag radials, I think you are nuts. At those speeds, it would be a few car lengths at the end of the track. On street tires, you won't even be close. What was your et when you hit 120? Was it better than the 11.5 @ 124 you ran on the Vette?

Last edited:

burnin4

Car Junkie
Established Member
You don't think you are skewing anything? How many times have you trapped 120+ in your boss? Don't you think it could be wheel spin related?

Do you want to know why it is hard to belive? For arguements sake, lets say your bolt ons netted the 60hp difference between the cars (probably a little less, but it makes it easier this way). Now you want everyone to believe the 532lb weight difference between the cars doesn't matter all all in the quarter mile. Really????

I am sure your car on a drag radial might be able to piss off even a well driven Z on stock tires, but with equal driver kung-fu, and both cars on drag radials, I think you are nuts. At those speeds, it would be a few car lengths at the end of the track. On street tires, you won't even be close. What was your et when you hit 120? Was it better than the 11.5 @ 124 you ran on the Vette?

dude, I'm not sure why this is hard for you to believe. You realize I've owned 2 C6Z's, right? And I own a Boss, right? If you were to believe anyone it should be me :shrug:. I love both cars, not favoring one over the other, but I'm here to tell you that a Boss with a full exhaust + tune will run door to door with a Z threw the qtr mile. The z is absolutely a superior sports car (mostly over the 100mph mark), but up to 100 mph the Z aint leaving my Boss :nonono:. If the Z has drag radials at the drag strip and the driver is excellent then it will be faster, but that was never my argument. Stock Z with stock tires vs my Boss with bolt-ons and tires is a drivers race. Just sit tight, I'll back this up with proven results on the 25th.

Also, there is less then 370lbs difference between my Boss and my 2LZ 06Z that ran 11.50 @ 123. 460lbs between my Boss and my 1LZ 08 which wasnt as fast as my 06/stock. The weight difference is still significant although the 3.73 gearing and 7800rpm limit helps offset some of the difference. Also, my Boss makes the same power as a stock Z, 440'ish whp, and a little less tq.

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
. Its hard to consistently/thoroughly enjoy a car that has zero traction under 60mph/1st gear, and i hated having to run MT's in order to get any traction period.

So you got tired ov having to run a drag radial on the Vette, but now you only want to comapre the times with a Boss on a tire and the Vette on street tires. Really???????

I already said in my post that a modded Boss on a tire could surprise a stock Z on stock tires at the strip, but who really cares about that? On the street, on street tires it is not even close, nor would it be any closer at the drag strip, on drag tires. If you want to handicap one to make your point, then so be it. I am sure a bolt on Z on a tire would be faster at the strip than my buddies 600whp HCI Z on street tires as well. Guess which one is a whole lot more fun to drive ;)

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
I think we need to stop bashing car enthusiasts, especially if they own American made with pride!

I think you need to get a sense of humor.

I really like the Boss but to match the power of the GT500

...you honestly don't need to. The Boss weighs nearly 300 lbs less! Don't get so hung up on one metric, there are a lot more factors to "fun" than just horsepower. Less weight, better balance, more RPM, all positives for the Boss.

burnin4

Car Junkie
Established Member
So you got tired ov having to run a drag radial on the Vette, but now you only want to comapre the times with a Boss on a tire and the Vette on street tires. Really???????

I already said in my post that a modded Boss on a tire could surprise a stock Z on stock tires at the strip, but who really cares about that? On the street, on street tires it is not even close, nor would it be any closer at the drag strip, on drag tires. If you want to handicap one to make your point, then so be it. I am sure a bolt on Z on a tire would be faster at the strip than my buddies 600whp HCI Z on street tires as well. Guess which one is a whole lot more fun to drive ;)

No, I HAD to use drag radials on my modded Z as an everyday tire because it got zero traction below 60mph, even on MT's. I previously mentioned that earlier in this thread in reference to that being a down fall to my Z. A Boss with bolt-on allows the option to select between oem wheels/tires for street driving but will need DR's at the strip (285's are dangerous). I am really enjoying the ability to aggressively drive my Boss 1-3 gears everywhere i go on street tires as opposed to only being limited to 60mph+/MT's in the Z.

I'm not trying to prove anything to anyone about what a Boss can do or cant do. However, it is of personal interest to me to discover a recipe that will match or beat my stock Z times (11.50@123). I think I know the answer......it's full exhaust/cai/tune/tires. I'm pretty impressed that a few mods really closes the gap between a 43k Boss versus 'an off the showroom' supercar at the drag strip.

Last edited:

Yellow03snake

Established Member
No, I HAD to use drag radials on my modded Z as an everyday tire because it got zero traction below 60mph, even on MT's. I previously mentioned that earlier in this thread in reference to that being a down fall to my Z. A Boss with bolt-on allows the option to select between oem wheels/tires for street driving but will need DR's at the strip (285's are dangerous). I am really enjoying the ability to aggressively drive my Boss 1-3 gears everywhere i go on street tires as opposed to only being limited to 60mph+/MT's in the Z.

I'm not trying to prove anything to anyone about what a Boss can do or cant do. However, it is of personal interest to me to discover a recipe that will match or beat my stock Z times (11.50@123). I think I know the answer......it's full exhaust/cai/tune/tires. I'm pretty impressed that a few mods really closes the gap between a 43k Boss versus 'an off the showroom' supercar at the drag strip.

Don't use logic and real world experience to argue with someone online, especially a Z fanboy....those cars can never lose and have accomplished everything short of time travel :beer:

svt1111

Established Member
Don't use logic and real world experience to argue with someone online, especially a Z fanboy....those cars can never lose and have accomplished everything short of time travel :beer:

LOL! I thought the exact same thing! I almost responded to his post too, having owned both the C6Z and now a Boss, but I figured 'why bother' using the logic you described above. lol.

Burnin,

You described one of the primary reasons the Boss is so much fun as compared to other higher powered/performing cars. It just flat hooks and its amazing how hard the Bosses can pull out of corners where I'd previously be skating all over the place like Bo duke with Rosco P Coltrane hot on his tail. I'm still trying to get used to the fact that I don't have to treat the throttle pedal like a suicide switch anymore. I can just hammer, and hammer and the car loves it and never bites back. I mean, you can steer with the throttle and all, but pretty much only as you see fit, and its extremely forgiving when it does break loose. Fun, fun car. I don't care what the Z06 fanboys think!

The other thing about the Z was, even though it had a 7k redline, it really started to nose over around 6,400. I think the high rev range was specifically for track performance where you needed the rpm's to keep from having to change gears all the time corner to corner. With the Boss it seems to continue to pull steadily up to redline, with no real flat spots anywhere. It makes you think that Ford set the rev limiter conservatively.

burnin4

Car Junkie
Established Member
Burnin, just out of curiosity, what were your Boss' ET's stock and with the bolt ons?

I only went to the strip once when I was stock, I made 6 pass's and they were all 12.3/12.4's. I trapped 117mph on every pass, and all of my 60's were 1.9x. I had some room for improvement but I was pretty happy with my baseline. I dyno'd the day before I went to the strip, 356/303 on a Mustang dyno.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u1j5Y9U38M&feature=g-upl&context=G2679fdcAUAAAAAAAFAA"]2012 Boss 302 at the drag strip - YouTube[/nomedia]

I bolted on my lt's and cai and gained 37/40. The stock tires couldnt handle the gains from a launch, but managed a 120mph trap on 1 very dangerous pass :dw:. I now have a JMS tune + RTS Welds/Mt's. I expect to drop my 60's to 1.6x and trap 122+, headed back on 2/25. I know she has mid 11's in her with a 1.6, just need to make it happen.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Impressive. I love the Boss, especially the engine. Cost aside I'd get a '13 GT500 though. Best looking newer Mustang ever IMO, and still has all the creature comforts I'd rather have in a street car.

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member

I am not a Z fan boy. Look at my sig.....

I am just saying his "logic" is a little srewey to some of us.

To me, if you are comparing ets at a drag strip, it sort fo makes sense to compare the time on an equal tire....

I guess I am just crazy though :dw:

Yellow03snake

Established Member
I am not a Z fan boy. Look at my sig.....

I am just saying his "logic" is a little srewey to some of us.

To me, if you are comparing ets at a drag strip, it sort fo makes sense to compare the time on an equal tire....

I guess I am just crazy though :dw:

In what way? I'd bet money a tuned/bolt on boss would be dead even with a stock Z in the 1/4.....easily

Youtube really skews peoples view, even so much to question real actual owner experiences.....owning both just isn't proof enough anymore lolol, but if there's a video online, woah nelly!!!

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
In what way? I'd bet money a tuned/bolt on boss would be dead even with a stock Z in the 1/4.....easily

Youtube really skews peoples view, even so much to question real actual owner experiences.....owning both just isn't proof enough anymore lolol, but if there's a video online, woah nelly!!!

With the Boss on a drag tire and the Z on stock tires, sure. The same goes for an auto 5.0.. I already sad I agree to that. I was objecting as that caveat was left out of the initial "door to door with a stock Z". I ASSumed that if we were discussing drag times at a drag strip that we were talking about drag radials on both cars since burnin4 is a big strip guy.

Users who are viewing this thread