trading 2008 Z06 for 2013 Boss

04SCRMINYLWVERT

Established Member
congrats! I feel you on the mustang bug, i've always had one and always go back. I gave up a 07 e63 to get back in one. not to pry but i've been looking and keep running into a 10-15k "market adjustment" and not getting the car until the 3rd or possibly 4th qt. are you running into the same thing?

I feel ya, I would too if it wasn't for the kids :rockon: My best bet is to pickup up a used one for a weekend car now.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
Sold my C6 Z06 and am supposed to pick up my 13 boss this week!!! Full report will follow!!

svt1111

Established Member
Sold my C6 Z06 and am supposed to pick up my 13 boss this week!!! Full report will follow!!

Congrats!

Post pics along with your report!

I'm sure you will love the Boss. I had an 07 Z, and while I still say it was the best overall performance car I ever had, the Boss is fun in a different way and you will love the power-band and the tight feel, it just works 'right'. The Boss is the best Mustang ever IMO.

Sniper342

Established Member

Awesome, congrats and good luck! Been loving my trade. For street use and daily driving, the Boss is more fun to drive and a better match for me than my C6 Z06 was! I love the handling mannerisms, turn in response, steering feel and feedback, gearing, powerband, and sounds of the Boss. Turns in very quick, usually feels neutral mid corner, great grip yet easy to slide the back out progressively whenever you want. Suspension seems to be the right amount of compliance vs stiffness for driving hard on real world streets. Engine never wants to stop revving! 3/4 inch side exhaust baffles sound beautiful. Best car I've ever had.

Silver TT

Established Member
Awesome, congrats and good luck! Been loving my trade. For street use and daily driving, the Boss is more fun to drive and a better match for me than my C6 Z06 was! I love the handling mannerisms, turn in response, steering feel and feedback, gearing, powerband, and sounds of the Boss. Turns in very quick, usually feels neutral mid corner, great grip yet easy to slide the back out progressively whenever you want. Suspension seems to be the right amount of compliance vs stiffness for driving hard on real world streets. Engine never wants to stop revving! 3/4 inch side exhaust baffles sound beautiful. Best car I've ever had.

Congratulations...sounds awesome. All of you guys running the new Boss are making me want to get one myself. Just got the 04 Cobra hooked up right with 14" Monobloc Brembos and TFs and lovin it but since it's a vert maybe it needs a nice Boss next to it. Ford really got this one right...enjoy

bobby.is.rad

I had a 2007 Z06. I now have the 2012 Boss 302.

I agree with what Burnin said: The Boss is at least as much fun to drive around on the street because it flat puts the power down! I don't know why, maybe its the combination of the Torsen rear end, the decent stock tires, and the linear power curve, but the car rocks on the street. The short gearing in the trans, coupled with the 3.73 rear, and the torquey, revvy motor make it a blast on the street.

When I drove my Z06, it was hard to get any traction through 1st and 2nd. You could make it hook, but it took a high level of concentration. Furthermore, at the top of 2nd you were doing 90 mph when it finally did hook, which meant you couldn't enjoy the car really at all, as going 90 mph on a back road is going to be one heck of a ticket. By comparison, the Boss is more fun, to me, because I can hammer 1st and 2nd to 7,500 rpm and I'm only doing 60 mph or so before you shift to third. And believe me, anyone who thinks a car that has traction must be slow, they are not! That's what I was afraid of coming from a few other high powered cars before the Boss. All my other cars killed the tires from a roll, which actually got tiresome much to my shock and surprise. The Boss is the lowest HP car I've had in a long time, and honestly one of the funnest as it is so nicely balanced and once again, I can actually accelerate and not roast tires all the time.

The Z is an incredible car. I'd love to own another one someday. But overall the Boss will absolutely put the same size smile on your face every time you turn the key, despite being a little slower overall. I find as the years go on that going fast is a lot of fun, but a car must possess more than just flat out speed to fun ALL the time. The Boss makes the right sounds, has the right ride and handling, and looks awesome enough that it will push all the right buttons for any real car guy, no matter what brand loyalty they may have. I can definately relate to going from the Z to a Boss after having owned them both. The Boss is also a lot easier to live with than the Z too, due to the ground clearance and ease of getting into and out of.

So, OP, you WILL NOT regret owning your Boss. I guarantee it.

What these guys said.

I wanted to reply to this thread because I read through it when I was first considering a C6 Z06 or Boss 302.

I test drove both, and these two comments are spot on. I wanted a car that was fun on the street, and would be well suited for HPDE events. After test driving both, I came away feeling that the Z06 might be the better overall performer, but the Boss nails everything else.

There's no way to explain to someone in numbers how much fun a car is, so I can't quantify it, but the Boss is a more fun street car. Both cars were a blast, but I was literally giggling while I was driving the Boss. With this kind of car, the fun factor is the most important aspect (for me), and that's why I'm buying the Boss.

foretexas

Established Member
Glad to read this post. I made the decision to go with the Boss without finding this thread back in December. I have been a Ford guy since day one but that Z06 was enticing. I did a lot of reading on the vette forums and the valve drop and flat cam threads scared me away from the Z06. I work for a Ford dealer so I new there had not been any major engine problems with the new 5.0 so that made my decision easy. I love the Boss.

IamRacerX

Established Member
What these guys said.

I wanted to reply to this thread because I read through it when I was first considering a C6 Z06 or Boss 302.

I test drove both, and these two comments are spot on. I wanted a car that was fun on the street, and would be well suited for HPDE events. After test driving both, I came away feeling that the Z06 might be the better overall performer, but the Boss nails everything else.

There's no way to explain to someone in numbers how much fun a car is, so I can't quantify it, but the Boss is a more fun street car. Both cars were a blast, but I was literally giggling while I was driving the Boss. With this kind of car, the fun factor is the most important aspect (for me), and that's why I'm buying the Boss.
I have had my 13 Boss for nearly a year now. I had a C6 Z06 before it. I have to say I have enjoyed the Boss so much more than I ever thought I would. It is without a doubt more fun to drive then my Z was! No where near as fast in a straight line, but way more fun. I was also considering a 13 GT500, I drove a friends before I got the boss and came away unimpressed. It felt like a tank next to the Boss. For me its more about the driving experience, less about power. I think on a track the Boss handles great, but would lose to the Z due to the power disadvantage... But not due to its handling. I don't miss my Z at all... Thanks to my Boss!!!!

Last edited:

12-Bstang

Established Member
The OP has inspired me to come out too......

I'm an openly Z to Boss guy.

Came from a C5Z with 630hp, to my 12 Boss. No regrets:rockon:

Para81

Established Member
Sold my Shelby GT500 with Griggs Racing suspension and TVS and replaced it with a Boss 302. Very happy I did after 6 months of ownership, the Boss is much more of a drivers car and the total experience far exceeds my Shelby. The Boss is an absolute blast to drive on the street, and very excited to get it on a road course when I get some time. Not to mention I think it has a lot more style than any Corvette or Shelby. When I choose a vehicle, it's about the total experience, not 1/4 mile times.

The engine alone is worth the trade.

I will say the new Stingray is looking very sharp...

Last edited:

Para81

Established Member
I have had my 13 Boss for nearly a year now. I had a C6 Z06 before it. I have to say I have enjoyed the Boss so much more than I ever thought I would. It is without a doubt more fun to drive then my Z was! No where near as fast in a straight line, but way more fun. I was also considering a 13 GT500, I drove a friends before I got the boss and came away unimpressed. It felt like a tank next to the Boss. For me its more about the driving experience, less about power. I think on a track the Boss handles great, but would lose to the Z due to the power disadvantage... But not due to its handling. I don't miss my Z at all... Thanks to my Boss!!!!

Exactly.

1sgret

I sold my '08 Z06 about 3 months ago and picked up a '13 Grabber Blue Boss 302 about 6 weeks ago. Been a blast to drive so far. Definitely not near as fast as my Z06 but the fun factor has increased and that's what it's all about to me! :rockon:

20130330_184631_zps43e93423.jpg

IamRacerX

Established Member
I sold my '08 Z06 about 3 months ago and picked up a '13 Grabber Blue Boss 302 about 6 weeks ago. Been a blast to drive so far. Definitely not near as fast as my Z06 but the fun factor has increased and that's what it's all about to me! :rockon:

20130330_184631_zps43e93423.jpg

Just wait til you break the car in. The car gets so much more zippy as it breaks in. I honestly don't miss my Z06 at all.

forcefedcobra

Established Member
It will be nice to see another.

what color is yours? I've only seen the white one that was bought used at stevens ford. I was going to buy it when we got my wifes exploder sport but they were wanting new price for a used car with 600 miles on the clock. going to kansass this week to take a look at a couple white ones, a blue, and a red.

if you decide to mod it let me know. my buddy and I are going to start a little side business. straight jacket performance.

Users who are viewing this thread