Traded in the Cobra...got parts now....

ccjcobra99

Established Member
Tru_Ice said:
No not me, I refuse to give in. Plus I love my C5. As they say, you'll be able to take me in the straight line, but in the course your mine. It's just a lot more fun to drive. :shrug:

I'd be interested in that challenge. :)

Tru_Ice

Banned
ccjcobra99 said:
I'd be interested in that challenge. :)

I say let's make it happen. But I must warn you I can probably get your car around the track faster than you can. It was a daily practice in my last job to flog em' around the track. With my 400+rwhp/380+rwtq (w/ the majority at low-mid range), it will be a tough to keep up tho.

Tru_Ice

Banned
10Key said:
My $$ is on ccj ; )

Mine would probably be too, after seeing the actual modifications he's made. It's a track prepped car. I say both of us same car, would be a good match. I'm only on the Z51 suspension. My extra power will help, but where I'm concerned is on the actual rubber. Looks like you've got track spec wheels on.

With that setup, I'll take you in a straight line, but in the twisties. You'll have quite the upper hand. That and I'm sure you're a lot more familiar w/ the local tracks. To make it fair, you run Paul's car I'll run mine.

ccjcobra99

Established Member
My last two track days were Corvette days @ Pacific & Portland. The 'race manager' is pretty clear that another event this season isn't likely but I have my eye on an SCCA time trials day @ Bremerton in October (I have yet to run Bremerton).

Unfortunately the car needs some minor work; after 3-4 track days a year, 68k miles and countless auto x's I have worn out the front inner tie rods or the steering rack (I am hoping just the rod ends). My fuel pump is starting to die (the last event in Portland it was co-driven by a friend and pro-driver) and we were getting the fuel pump so hot that it would start to sputter on a full tank after 3-4 laps. I need to either pick up a stock fuel pump or suck it up and put in a better baffled (on more mod friendly) 03 tank and pump. Last but not least... I corded yet another set of stickies, I'm looking at Nitto R2's or Toyo RA1's but probably not until March 06.

I am really curious if I would be faster in a C5 rather than the black albatross. I have driven my dad's 01 Z06 @ Pacific but really took it easy. In addition I really was not comfortable with the stock seats, lack of harnesses, a more body roll than I am familar with. A friend of mine (C5 owner) is confident I would be much faster in a C5, I not so secretly want a Z06 but cannot justify $28k+ right now for a car that sees under 3k miles a year.

Next time I am headed out to the track, I will post here and let you guys know.

ccjcobra99

Established Member
Tru_Ice said:
Mine would probably be too, after seeing the actual modifications he's made. It's a track prepped car. I say both of us same car, would be a good match. I'm only on the Z51 suspension. My extra power will help, but where I'm concerned is on the actual rubber. Looks like you've got track spec wheels on.

With that setup, I'll take you in a straight line, but in the twisties. You'll have quite the upper hand. That and I'm sure you're a lot more familiar w/ the local tracks. To make it fair, you run Paul's car I'll run mine.

I thought I should add, that I am the worst drag racer in history. I have a personal best of 14.00+ in this car. I have DR'd twice in my lifetime. Had a good time, I wasn't a big fan of the amount of driving time vs time waiting around. It was worse than auto xing.

Tru_Ice

Banned
Keep us posted. I'd be interested in attending, I'd just need different tires. I've only run in MI, AZ, and NV tracks never here and never in my Vette so I'd love to test it out.

alanw6

The gauge pod guy
Established Member
Rick,

The pillar probably never even made it into the car, did it?

Good to see it sold quickly for you, though. Best of luck with the new car, and keep in touch WHEN (not if) you're back in the saddle again.

Alan :beer:

whippleblown03

Established Member
never done an open track! so i wont claim i can even drive good on one! like to do it though! i might do some suspension mods over the winter. tubluar k-member coil overs when i do headers. what kind of tires should i have? and where do i go to get certified/ trained to drive my car? how much?

Tru_Ice

Banned
bultaco370 said:
never done an open track! so i wont claim i can even drive good on one! like to do it though! i might do some suspension mods over the winter. tubluar k-member coil overs when i do headers. what kind of tires should i have? and where do i go to get certified/ trained to drive my car? how much?

Nitto R2's should be good. As far as training I think there are some schools around here. I did mine in Detroit, don't know the price. It was a company expense. But I've heard all types of prices from $400 (local) to $3000 ("professional" schools), depending on what your looking for as far as racing style and timing.

ccjcobra99

Established Member
bultaco370 said:

There is a very relevant and recent thread about this on stangnet right now (some good info from MTN & myself).
As a beginner street tires are a great place to start because they cannot hide bad habits. To some degree the same is true for a stock suspension.
Local events (not drivers schools) range from about $100-225 depending on who puts it on, which track, whether instruction or and lunch are included.

Proformance is a good local racing school. Don Kitch and his crew can offer some great instruction and Pacific is a very fun track, but has some nasty spots. Their input ESPECIALLY in a high horsepower car can be priceless.

Last edited:

Oxford Snake

Established Member
ChuckysSVT said:
Just pulled the KB and installed one virgin eaton...stock pulley and all. Before I turned a wrench on that beast I tried to talk him out of it. Guess I'll drag his ricer ass along on some of the runs. After talkin a bit I understand the reasons..and most would agree in his situation.

Chuck, does this mean your not going to be painting your car white?

ChuckysSVT

LS1/6 speed 68 Camaro
Established Member
Oxford Snake said:
Chuck, does this mean your not going to be painting your car white?

If I put a black blower on a black car...it may...I say "may" be able to keep up w/ the white ones...

than again..who knows.... :shrug:

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks Rick, let me know if it is still there (IRS Brace). Anything else leftover I might be interested in? Too bad you sold the snake, but it just moves me one notch closer to the top in the local scene. :poke: ;-)

Just did the Statue of Liberty thing today. I've got to say that I actually like New York.

RickSvt

Its Fast
Established Member
I know, but it will end up in chucks car...it looks great

rick

alanw6 said:
Rick,

The pillar probably never even made it into the car, did it?

Good to see it sold quickly for you, though. Best of luck with the new car, and keep in touch WHEN (not if) you're back in the saddle again.

Alan :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread