Track key Ripoff

Status
Not open for further replies.

5 DOT 0

Established Member
Looks like a 10lb.ft gain in torque though, power is power and a gain in torque is usually more noticeable and useable than a gain in peak power.

I'd also be interested to see how they dyno after a little more break in time.
That's AZBoss's car and it was well broken in. While the dyno charts don't show much the car feels noticeably different in response with TK.

BlackNDecker

Come at me bro!
Established Member
Oddly, no one has commented on the fact that the largest difference between TK and silver key is the air/fuel ratio. I wonder if TK is optimized for bolt ons (CAI, headers, exhaust)???

All other differences between the referenced dyno graphs (ahem...taken on different days...ahem) represent minor variances and should not be attributed to gains.

AZBOSS

Established Member
That's AZBoss's car and it was well broken in. While the dyno charts don't show much the car feels noticeably different in response with TK.

Correct, that is all data from my car. Despite the dyno differences (which again, I wouldn't put much stock in), the car is MUCH more aggressive at part throttle on the track. I can use 3rd gear in places where I would previously have to go to 2nd, and the engine braking is much more noticeable--now I can simply lift in spots where I might have had to dab the brake before.

svt1111

Established Member
Regarding what everyone has been saying about the TK for HP and TQ gains, I see it like this:

The car was designed to be basically a track 'athlete.' It is NOT a Cobra Jet, or even a GT500. It is made to be tossed around on a road course. As such, the TK features subtle changes that enhance the TRACK experience. That is what it was purposed for. It just so happens to make the car more fun to drive on the street, but in NO way is the TK intended to impress a dyno operator or drag racer. Sure it has a built in 2-step, but rather than rag on it for not producing crazy HP gains, I'm grateful it has that neat feature in the first place, even though I prefer to launch my cars based on "feel" at the starting line depending on track conditions, tire selections, etc.

If people expect it to react like an SCT tune, not only will they be disappointed, but they are missing the point of TK I believe.

The car is more raw and edgy with the TK. I mostly use the Black Key so when I decide to go TK, its 'special' and more fun, and new each time.

If you crave max 1/4 performance, save your dough and get an SCT tune. If you want to experience the car the way the Ford Engineers envisioned how a new Boss should pay homage to its originator, get the TK. Either way its win-win ;)

konaboss

Established Member

+1 that.

I like the TK. I don't run it everyday because it just makes me want to stand on the gas pedel more. I still like to get 19MPG on my commutes. But, with the TK. Definitely a different beast.

IA Shelby

Established Member
I know I am bumping an old thread. I am seriously considering adding a Boss to Cobra and Shelby.

I have a question about the track key. In the Shelby when you load a new tune it usually takes a while for the ECU to learn the tune.

Switching between the normal tune and the track key, is there any delay so to speak before it re-calibrates itself?

Thanks

Tag

FKing1

Established Member
When changing from the silver to red key it takes 2 minutes after the engine reaches operating temperature before the Trackey is enabled.

5 DOT 0

Established Member
When changing from the silver to red key it takes 2 minutes after the engine reaches operating temperature before the Trackey is enabled.
This is not quite correct. All of the driving parameters of TK are enabled immediately but it takes two minutes for the lopey idle to kick in.

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
This is not quite correct. All of the driving parameters of TK are enabled immediately but it takes two minutes for the lopey idle to kick in.

Now only if aftermarket tuners can imcorperate that 2 minute warm up period to the lopey idle tune. On a couple occasions, on very cold mornings, my car will idle at 2k RPM.

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member

Now only if aftermarket tuners can imcorperate that 2 minute warm up period to the lopey idle tune. On a couple occasions, on very cold mornings, my car will idle at 2k RPM.

Shaun at AED does. Well at least on my GT he did. Same parameters. Engine has to reach operating temps before the lope will start.

Unlike bama that loped immediately. Which in cold weather I would imagine is bad for the car.

Posted via Topify using Android

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
Shaun at AED does. Well at least on my GT he did. Same parameters. Engine has to reach operating temps before the lope will start.

Unlike bama that loped immediately. Which in cold weather I would imagine is bad for the car.

The loop idle does start around 170 degrees and is more agressive when it reaches 200. But like I said it has only happened a couple times after a cold night. In the winter I'll put the performance tune on. AED tune here btw

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member

The loop idle does start around 170 degrees and is more agressive when it reaches 200. But like I said it has only happened a couple times after a cold night. In the winter I'll put the performance tune on. AED tune here btw

I gotcha. Misunderstood.

JohnRichard

MT82 Speed Shiftin Maniac
Established Member
Took the Boss to the Dealer today for Track Key install.
First they wanted a code that was supposed to have been sent to me. Never got one. OK, they can still install for $150. Next the Service write up guy says they need a kit from Ford that costs $300. Why don't the Dealers know this or tell when making the appointment?
Bottom line is a $450 price.
Not happy!! We pay a premium for these cars then get ripped.

I dunno who told you what... but a little personal research might have saved you some headache... and sorry you paid a dealer mark up on a car you shouldn't have. and the red key is just red until the track key install.

Yes you can see track key dynos results where the car makes some power, and you see the truth in other dyno results in the track key, you make no extra power... even ford states this...
The only think that would make the track key cool... It being back up with a 100 shot...

Last edited:

isrboss

Established Member
I dunno who told you what... but a little personal research might have saved you some headache... and sorry you paid a dealer mark up on a car you shouldn't have. and the red key is just red until the track key install.

Yes you can see track key dynos results where the car makes some power, and you see the truth in other dyno results in the track key, you make no extra power... even ford states this...
The only think that would make the track key cool... It being back up with a 100 shot...
:wf:
Drag racers should just stay in the GT forum. Those that bought a Boss to drag race, well to each his own. The trackey does not make power because the power is already there. Those that immediately seek additional power to do road course events, need to just simply learn to drive. The standard blk key tune leads to pulled timing etc., while the trackey tune will maintain timing values etc. over the course of the 20-25min session. I don't care what your tuner did on a dyno, after about 10 laps on a 2.0 mile track, I'm gone on the Trackey while your tuner set you up for timing issues, then coolant issues the roll just keeps happening from there. Get off the damn dyno stuff people, that tells you nothing for road course punishment!

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
:wf:
Drag racers should just stay in the GT forum. Those that bought a Boss to drag race, well to each his own. The trackey does not make power because the power is already there. Those that immediately seek additional power to do road course events, need to just simply learn to drive. The standard blk key tune leads to pulled timing etc., while the trackey tune will maintain timing values etc. over the course of the 20-25min session. I don't care what your tuner did on a dyno, after about 10 laps on a 2.0 mile track, I'm gone on the Trackey while your tuner set you up for timing issues, then coolant issues the roll just keeps happening from there. Get off the damn dyno stuff people, that tells you nothing for road course punishment!

The FRPP guide for the track key list it as an upgrade for drag or track racing.

So personally I get where this is coming from with people buying the boss to drag race.

it does very well at it, with people like KDanner running 10.52 N/A in the 1/4 mile with his 2012 boss 302

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread