Track key Ripoff

Status
Not open for further replies.

5 DOT 0

Established Member
At my next track day in March I'll be using both the red and silver keys to see the difference.

I'm not sure what you're talking about when you say TK improves handling. It doesn't change any suspension settings. :??: If you mean steering TK doesn't change it either. When you disable TC and go into sport mode that changes the steering setting.

Last edited:

ShaneMcG

Established Member
fwiw, anyone on the fence about trackey can get an aftermarket tune with launch control and gain hp and torque.

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
the track key thing was complicated because of the hoops that the government including california made ford jump thru in order to offer it. remember that. they could not sell it with the car.

the track in track key is road course, not drag strip. the positive effects of the tune change is for road course driving and not drag racing. ford offers the cobra jet program for drag racers.

i understand that many dont have a road course frame of reference and will likely never take it to that race track. just remember you are drag racing a road racing car and not a drag racing car

barstoolman

Established Member
At my next track day in March I'll be using both the red and silver keys to see the difference.

I'm not sure what you're talking about when you say TK improves handling. It doesn't change any suspension settings. :??: If you mean steering TK doesn't change it either. When you disable TC and go into sport mode that changes the steering setting.

When speaking about improved handling, I was referring to setting my dampers to the stiffest setting (5). As far as your assertion that the TracKey doesn't change the steering settings, well, read below. The sport mode is in in fact the automatic default setting when using the Red Key (see below, from Ford). It can also be accessed using the regular key in your settings.

"New for 2012 across all Mustangs is selectable steering effort. When started with the TracKey the Boss 302 uses the “Sport” mode by default. This mode is also selected when the car’s traction control and Advanced Stability Control System (ASCS) is put into “Sport” setting by double tapping the traction control button; at this time the remaining “Comfort” and “Normal” modes are locked out".

See, you learn something new everyday. :beer:

Grant808

Established Member
After thinking about this and cooling my hot head , it's not a rip off.
A CAI and flash tune would be much more $$ and be less effective that the Track Key.
Thanks for the comments! Should have done more research before going to the Dealer.
At least they gave me a free loaner while waiting for the kit to come in today and the car will be ready by end of day.

Glad the OP had a change of heart! :beer: Totally worth it IMO. And what I've read is that an aftermarket tune can still be loaded on top of it...best of both worlds.

Grant808

Established Member
the track key thing was complicated because of the hoops that the government including california made ford jump thru in order to offer it. remember that. they could not sell it with the car.

the track in track key is road course, not drag strip. the positive effects of the tune change is for road course driving and not drag racing. ford offers the cobra jet program for drag racers.

i understand that many dont have a road course frame of reference and will likely never take it to that race track. just remember you are drag racing a road racing car and not a drag racing car

Er, I only disagree in that the TracKey enables Launch Control too. No real need for that on the road course, right?

5 DOT 0

Established Member
When speaking about improved handling, I was referring to setting my dampers to the stiffest setting (5). As far as your assertion that the TracKey doesn't change the steering settings, well, read below. The sport mode is in in fact the automatic default setting when using the Red Key (see below, from Ford). It can also be accessed using the regular key in your settings.

"New for 2012 across all Mustangs is selectable steering effort. When started with the TracKey the Boss 302 uses the “Sport” mode by default. This mode is also selected when the car’s traction control and Advanced Stability Control System (ASCS) is put into “Sport” setting by double tapping the traction control button; at this time the remaining “Comfort” and “Normal” modes are locked out".

See, you learn something new everyday. :beer:
Yes you do and I was wrong. I had never read that before and I couldn't find any reference to it in the TK instructions. I drove my car this evening with TK and sure enough there is no way to change the steering setting that I could find.

BOSS2664

Established Member
fwiw, anyone on the fence about trackey can get an aftermarket tune with launch control and gain hp and torque.

Will it come with the lopey idle? does it disable the top speed limiter? what tune is this? and what are the HP/TQ improvements....TIA

Hey_Its_Cole

Established Member
I have been debating getting the track key but I really just don't see the point for the money. I have read a lot of reviews and most seem positive, I just don't really get why they are so positive. The whole thing seems rather gimmicky outside of throttle response, the launch control and maybe the engine braking. I would love to find someone to let me test drive theirs to see if I thought it was worth the money.

mvic1518

Established Member
I already have my track key. Does anyone know if I will still have to pay the 302$ or will I just have to pay the labor cost to have it programed.

svt1111

Established Member
I already have my track key. Does anyone know if I will still have to pay the 302$ or will I just have to pay the labor cost to have it programed.

All Bosses come with the Red Key. It will work in the ignition, but only on the base tune in the ECM will be available.

The $302 cost is for the tune itself, and the labor charge is whatever your dealer charges you for time to download it into your car.

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
I'd like to see someone dyno their Boss with both keys and see what the difference in power is.

I'd be willing to bet there is a significant gain in both HP and torque.

5 DOT 0

Established Member
I'd like to see someone dyno their Boss with both keys and see what the difference in power is.

I'd be willing to bet there is a significant gain in both HP and torque.

I'll take that bet. :beer:

Why would you think this? Ford has clearly stated there is no increase in peak HP or TQ although the TQ curve is fattened a bit in the midrange.

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
I'll take that bet. :beer:

Why would you think this? Ford has clearly stated there is no increase in peak HP or TQ although the TQ curve is fattened a bit in the midrange.

Well since the idle is changed, cam timing is changed and the fuel metering and I believe ignition timing is changed it just kind of makes sense.

Only one way to find out and I can't do it since I don't own a Boss.

5 DOT 0

Established Member
Well since the idle is changed, cam timing is changed and the fuel metering and I believe ignition timing is changed it just kind of makes sense.

Only one way to find out and I can't do it since I don't own a Boss.
As already stated it's been done and there is no increase in peak HP or TQ. The problem with a dyno run is it's done at WOT. Driving the car at partial throttle openings there's a noticable difference with the more aggressive throttle and engine braking. I like it! :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread