Track key Ripoff

Status
Not open for further replies.

FKing1

Established Member
Took the Boss to the Dealer today for Track Key install.
First they wanted a code that was supposed to have been sent to me. Never got one. OK, they can still install for $150. Next the Service write up guy says they need a kit from Ford that costs $300. Why don't the Dealers know this or tell when making the appointment?
Bottom line is a $450 price.
Not happy!! We pay a premium for these cars then get ripped.

5 DOT 0

Established Member
So you're a Boss owner on this forum and you didn't know how the install worked? And now you feel like you got ripped off? And you think the Boss has a premium price tag for it's level of performance? Wow. :??:

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Took the Boss to the Dealer today for Track Key install.
First they wanted a code that was supposed to have been sent to me. Never got one. OK, they can still install for $150. Next the Service write up guy says they need a kit from Ford that costs $300. Why don't the Dealers know this or tell when making the appointment?
Bottom line is a $450 price.
Not happy!! We pay a premium for these cars then get ripped.

Sounds like both the dealer and yourself were not aware of the process. :shrug: Don't know about the Ripped part.

FKing1

Established Member
Nice to be flamed on for complaining a bit.
Maybe $450 doesn't mean much to some , but, it does to me.
Seems like no matter what one posts many, not all, think they are wrong!

5 DOT 0

Established Member
You should shop around and I'm sure you'll find a dealer to install it for less. TK costs $302 and I paid $100 for the install.

If you think your buying experience was bad wait until you find out it doesn't add any HP and doesn't improve performance.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Nice to be flamed on for complaining a bit.
Maybe $450 doesn't mean much to some , but, it does to me.
Seems like no matter what one posts many, not all, think they are wrong!

You are not being flamed, but informed. The track key programming must be purchased from your parts department and then installed by service. Some dealers have covered the cost of the install as part of the purchase, however you the owner still needs to purchase the programming. You are not being ripped off.

TracKey powertrain software installation and key programming will be available to 2012 Mustang Boss 302 owners through Ford Racing authorized dealers. Priced at $302 (retail), TracKey is available starting Nov. 1 from your local Ford dealer. As an aftermarket product, TracKey comes with a “best-in-the-aftermarket industry” 3-year/36,000-mile warranty, and its installation and usage does not void the original OE warranty.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Same thing happened to me, turns out the dealer and I both just weren't informed enough. It happens. The TracKey tune is so much more than what you'd get from an SCT tuner for the same price, it's hardly a ripoff.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Same thing happened to me, turns out the dealer and I both just weren't informed enough. It happens. The TracKey tune is so much more than what you'd get from an SCT tuner for the same price, it's hardly a ripoff.

Kat, have you run the car at the strip Pre/Post TK? I know it has a lot of features, but just wondering if the results are similar to a GT Pre/Post Procal as far as performance enhancments.

FKing1

Established Member
After thinking about this and cooling my hot head , it's not a rip off.
A CAI and flash tune would be much more $$ and be less effective that the Track Key.
Thanks for the comments! Should have done more research before going to the Dealer.
At least they gave me a free loaner while waiting for the kit to come in today and the car will be ready by end of day.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Kat, have you run the car at the strip Pre/Post TK? I know it has a lot of features, but just wondering if the results are similar to a GT Pre/Post Procal as far as performance enhancments.

You're not going to see much help from the TK at the strip. Sunday I did a 1-day road course in the Boss, and...wow. I'll make a thread.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
You're not going to see much help from the TK at the strip. Sunday I did a 1-day road course in the Boss, and...wow. I'll make a thread.

Yeah, figured it is more geared to road course tracking but also thought some peak hp/tq would be achieved as well.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
I don't think it changes the power really. Higher redline (which means jack if the cheap trans won't go into gear above 7k), launch control, and better throttle response are the only things you'll notice at the drag strip. I've made maybe 8-10 passes, and all were with the TK - hell, I haven't used the silver key since TK was installed. "Track Use Only" my ass :lol:

5 DOT 0

Established Member
"Track Use Only" my ass :lol:
FTW!

Ford has never advertised any increase in peak HP, TQ, RPM's or any other metric. It does fatten the TQ curve a bit in the midrange. It does not raise the rev or speed limiters. What it does do is enhance the driving experience. It makes the car feel and sound more raw and I like it. I have not used launch control or the pit lane limiter and I disabled skip shift the first week I owned the car. I'm stating these items because if you have any other expectations you'll be disappointed.

svt1111

Established Member
I paid MSRP for my car, and received the Trackey for free. No, I'm not trying to boast, but show that the dealers simply have no clue what they are doing with this feature.

I played dumb at first after I bought the car and asked them for the Trackey. They called me back and said "Bad news. Trackey is $200.00" So I agreed to pay it, knowing that all along it was WELL PUBLICIZED that it would cost "$302", plus dealer labor to install.

After the 2nd attempt of them to figure out how to install it, when they handed me the invoice, it said $0.00 in the balance due column so at that point I was remiss to mention it, seeing as how I had two, 4 hour visits there where I waited for the car to be programmed.

Overall, its a decent deal for what Ford is offering it priced as for. Alot of engineering went into it, although it would have been better had Ford not pandered to our tree hugging friends in The People's Republic of California and kept the original lopey idle. You won't like the idle that it features now, its really watered down. The car does feel 'raw' as others have expressed, its not just all about peak HP with the TK.

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
To be honest Ford made the Track Key thing way more complicated than it should have been.

First you buy the car, then you buy the key, then you buy the Track Key tuning and pay to get it installed.

Just as an FYI the Ford Racing part number for the Track Key tuning voucher is M-14204-MBTKA.

If anyone wants or needs it we can do it for $220.00 which should put us way below your dealers price.

Personally I think the key and all should have come direct from FRPP and leave out the extra step.

-Steve

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
FTW!

Ford has never advertised any increase in peak HP, TQ, RPM's or any other metric. It does fatten the TQ curve a bit in the midrange. It does not raise the rev or speed limiters. What it does do is enhance the driving experience. It makes the car feel and sound more raw and I like it. I have not used launch control or the pit lane limiter and I disabled skip shift the first week I owned the car. I'm stating these items because if you have any other expectations you'll be disappointed.

The most noticeable things to me were throttle response and steering input. Made a ton of difference with aggressive driving.

barstoolman

Established Member
You should shop around and I'm sure you'll find a dealer to install it for less. TK costs $302 and I paid $100 for the install.

If you think your buying experience was bad wait until you find out it doesn't add any HP and doesn't improve performance.

Ford never said that the TracKey would increase HP but I was out at Willow Springs this weekend, on both the Big Track and Horse Thief Mile (simulates canyon driving). Trust me, made quite a difference in handling as well as motor accelerating, engine braking, overall throttle reaponse. Had the dampers tuned to stiffest setting (5) for the canyon run. Launch control was fun whenever we started out on the Big Track.

Take it out to a track...........run the car both ways and then see if it makes a difference.

BTW.........TracKey install was $302 and $125 when I did it. Everyone knew about it, at least I thought so until I read the OP's post.

Last edited:

barstoolman

Established Member
I don't think it changes the power really. Higher redline (which means jack if the cheap trans won't go into gear above 7k), launch control, and better throttle response are the only things you'll notice at the drag strip. I've made maybe 8-10 passes, and all were with the TK - hell, I haven't used the silver key since TK was installed. "Track Use Only" my ass :lol:

All I drive with is the Red Key.......come to think of it, I better look for my silver key....

barstoolman

Established Member
The most noticeable things to me were throttle response and steering input. Made a ton of difference with aggressive driving.

You can change the steering input without the TracKey in your regular settings (3 different modes).......the TracKey just does it automatically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread