Toyota is...

SinisterX

Makin ALL KINDS of gains
Established Member
And they consider the most reliable to be the big 3. Trust me, I've done a lot of work in construction and the only trucks considered are either of the big 3. I drove a Mitsubishi Fuso and the trucks are gutless and cheap, they're liitle 4 cylinder diesels have a hard time doing the work of even a V8 Chevy or Ford gas motor.

I wonder if al the GM Duramax owners know Isuzu made thier engine

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
I wish I could stand to own a Dodge because Cummins still owns the diesel industry IMO.

no cigar

I want a $944 camera!
Established Member
The car like stick shift is very odd, and that interior is rubbish. Love the use of semi truck like Alcoa wheels, for the "truck driver" in our paper pushing, suburban, import beer drinking, toyota truck driving sons of ------.

Who will buy a Toyota diesel dually ? See above.
Made in Indiana and Texas !!!! :rollseyes

Exactly. Who is Toyota marketing this for? I would say they could care less about the contractors/workers/farmers and are aiming for the $$$$ crowd that likes to compensate for their small wee wees with big trucks.

My94GT

Established Member
wont work. how many farmers out there are going to buy a toyota dually? or even the tundra?

tons of people buy HD trucks now its not just your farmers or rednecks anymore. i think this is a smart move for toyota and could put a hurting on the american HD truck lines.

i personally like it but they need to tone the lines in the rear down a bit.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Consumer Reports, what we thought was the most Japanese biased product review source out there pulled their automatic reccomendation for Toyota because of their poor quality lately for the Tundra and Camry. Toyotas reputation isn't what it used to be and the review sources are reporting it.

If Toyota wants to jump into the Diesel market they better convince the public first that the Tundra is worthy enough to compete in the regular truck catagory.

Izuzu assembles good motors but the diesel motors they put and Mitsubishi puts in their trucks are worthless for heavy duty jobs, that's when you need a big V8 diesel.
The Duramax was designed by both GM and Izuzu and assembled by Izuzu so it's not like GM didn't have a hand in it.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I agreed except for that part. Many OTR trucks don't use V8 diesels. Most are inline and quite a few are big CI inline 6's.

Ok, yes Inlines too, but I'm talking more along the lines of the Ford F450-650s and Kodiak work trucks. I used to drive a Mitsubishi Fuso with a little 4 cylinder diesel and would haul gravel and just about anything else you can imagine. Oh how I wish I had either of the other two trucks when doing that kind of stuff. The Fuso would get stuck in anything soft and didn't even have enough power to spin the tires tires if you were stuck. The truck gave me more problems than it did help.

Lord Tauk

SVT God
Established Member
I'm curious on what the aftermarket is going to do with this engine, 8.1 is a lot of displacement to drop into a 3/4 or 1 Ton IMO.

I don't usually agree "bigger is better", but if it has a good starting basis as far as Common Rail technology, etc. etc., I don't see what would hold this HINO diesel from being able to make the power aside the absence of an aftermarket for all supporting mods that would be required.

Users who are viewing this thread