Took the plunge; new Cobra vert owner

kilrb

Established Member
Well, I waved goodbye to my 99 fixed roof coupe Vette on Friday, and got up at 4:15a.m. Saturday morning to road-trip it to St. Louis to pick up a Zinc Yellow '03 vert with 32k miles. I have to say that although yellow wasn't my first choice (in fact, it was at the bottom of my list initially), when I saw the car in person, I really fell in love.

I'm going to miss the Vette. At 3,150#'s, with 410whp, and upgraded suspension, it was an incredible car. Alas, having a couple of kids made driving it a rare occasion. Hopefully the vert is going to serve as a fun weekender for the family to use, and a fun performance oriented toy for me when I'm flying solo. Here's a pic of the new acquisition, along with the little girl for whom I made the change... I also threw in a shot of my old black beauty.

SideofCobra2.jpg

IMG_6236.jpg

Last edited:

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
congrats on the car .. its very good looking, whats your new zinc's current mod list?

kilrb

Established Member
congrats on the car .. its very good looking, whats your new zinc's current mod list?

So far, the only thing I know for certain is the car has a Flowmaster catback. The intake appears to be stock. The previous owner claimed it wasn't modded (of course). I doubt it has any other exhaust mods, because it's not terribly loud. Sounds about the right loudness to me. Anybody care to opine on the quality of Flowmaster's catback?

Until I get it on a dyno, I guess I won't know if there's been anything else done to it. I only drove one other Cobra, an '03 with 72k miles on it. I didn't get on that car in 1st gear much, but did goose it in 2nd. This car feels peppier, but I can't swear to it. I can't get anywhere near floored in 1st with this car without spinning the hell out of the tires, but I don't know if that's just normal for these cars... Or maybe the tires just suck. They still have some life left in the back, at least. I noticed also that the blower on this car seems quiter than the other one I drove. It definitely sounds like the same sound, but not as loud... Is that a sign that the other one was more worn out, or maybe that it had an intake mod that let more sound out?

wjk

Established Member
Both nice looking cars! I think the stang will come in handy many times when compared to the 2 seater, small trunk vette. Of course your not going to get the same agility but you can easily make more power then what that vette had.

Congrats on the new car! Drive safe!

kilrb

Established Member
Both nice looking cars! I think the stang will come in handy many times when compared to the 2 seater, small trunk vette. Of course your not going to get the same agility but you can easily make more power then what that vette had.

Congrats on the new car! Drive safe!

Thanks, man. As for the power, I figured with the weight difference, I'm going to need around 495 at the wheel to make the Cobra accelerate the same. I doubt I'll go for that much. I figure with 425-450, it will be plenty of fun.

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
congrats on the purchase...good lookin car.

defiitly gotta put subframe connectors and lowering springs on your list of "to do's"

:banana:

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
congrats on the purchase!

the other car with the louder blower was more than likely b/c it had an after market intake, which lets you hear the blower a bit better. or it had been pulley swapped, which also makes the blower whine louder.

change the pulley out asap, and you'll have a whole new (and a lot meaner)animal on your hands. should add close to 100hp/tq

KINGCOBRA86

Tvs @ 22psi ftw
Established Member
nice man, thers nothing cooler then cruzn with the top down:rockon:

slap a 2.93 upper, jlt r.a.i, h pipe with high flow cats and dyno tune

that should get u 450 hp easey, safe , and fun :rolling:

kilrb

Established Member
And even on not so nice days with good rear tires;-)

Speaking of tires, this car is in need. Any suggestions? I don't want to give up lateral grip, so I'm thinking no DR's. I have read a lot about Nitto's 555's and NT05's. Both look to be street tires with decent grip.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Take a pic of the engine bay, and we should be able to help you out to see if there are any mods...
Very nice decision!

kilrb

Established Member

10thSVT_03

Doin it!
Established Member
Awesome ride.. I would have a Z06 right now also but with kids its more fun to cruise with them.. You will love it..

jtm

now more boost included
Established Member
kids are great, had to sell my vette too, we never could take it anywhere with three of us. the cobra is a great replacement. enjoy it.

Users who are viewing this thread