Tires, Tires, Tires

K2AHollywood

Established Member
Well after a lot of DD miles (well not really even) and my car trying to kill me last week in a spin out on the freeway...I find that my current rear tires are now almost bald and with the rainy season starting here, I am terrified to drive as by back end floats side to side - conclusion I need tires. Now some will laugh at this but my car seriously hates me. I have resided to the fact that I need a GOOD tire on this car, I also understand that you have to pay to play.

Currently I have Goodyear GS-D3s all around. They are on stock rims, stock size up front, 275/40 on the rear. Fronts still look brand new and are not in need of replacement. Now there are lots of decisions to be made and feedback would be great. A.) what other tires should I consider? I know the GS-D3 isn’t made anymore but can still be found. And am I correct in my memory that really the only real 'higher performing' tired would be stepping into the Pilot Sport PS2? Also keep in mind I need performance tires, not just summer, there is a ton of rain here all the time.

And I remember not liking the 275/40 on the rear but now I have gotten used to it; should I go staggered again or go stock all the way around? (I know that would extend my tire life a lot. Should I swap my currents to the rear and put something mild in the front? Put something better in the rear? Other ideas, deals and suggestions? Money is tight but living is a little more important - so I appreciate any and all thoughts on what to do next.

K2AHollywood

Established Member
I'd look into just buying a DD.

I have one thanks homie. And a DD answers my tire question how? Thanks :loser:

Get some bfg kdw2s. I didn't see them on discounttires.com, but I found them on tirerack.com Tire Search Results . I have these on a 530rwhp gto in a 245/40/18, they have excellent wet and dry traction.

Thanks I have tried the KDW and KDW2s and they are garbage =/

tistan

Established Member
How are the kdw2s garbage? You asked for a good wet dry traction tire? I know a lot of people daily driving kdw2s and you are the first that doesn't like them.

K2AHollywood

Established Member
How are the kdw2s garbage? You asked for a good wet dry traction tire? I know a lot of people daily driving kdw2s and you are the first that doesn't like them.

Dont know what to say. My burned out GS-D3s are still better then they ever were new.

I just put Nitto 555 Extremes on my Cobra, I like them.

How are they in the wet?

Edit: Has anyone used the Bridgestone Potenza RE760s?

Last edited:

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
I have KDW2's and am not really a fan either. I had GS-D3's on my old BBS wheels. I loved those tires. It's ridiculous that they don't make GS-D3's or BFG KD's anymore for that matter. Those were both awesome tires.

Not that any of that helps you. lol.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
I just thought of this...

These are supposed to be pretty good and reasonably priced tires. Maybe move the GS-D3's to the back and get these for the front?

Competition

Hood Rich
Established Member
I have one thanks homie. And a DD answers my tire question how? Thanks :loser:

I'm not your homie, and you said you need an all season tire because it rains a lot. If you have a DD why the *** would you drive your cobra in the rain. If you have a DD, put a good drag radial on it, and stfu. :loser:

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
Look at his location. If he doesn't drive it in the rain, he'd probably never be able to drive it.

Wabish

Established Member
I got the Nitto NT555's and like them a lot. The one time I got caught in the rain in the Cobra since I've had them, they seemed to do pretty well.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
I've had 245,255,275 from BF,Nitto,Michelin.and Kumho and I'm the Most pleased with the 255/45/17 Kumho's on all 4 stock 17X8 rims, 275 in the rear reeked havoc with lateral handling, the car felt like crap, their fine on 17X9 but on the thinner rim I'd advise against it!

wma8706

Established Member
I run the kdw2's in the front and Toyo R888 in the back. The car can now be driven in the rain, hug corners better than any tires I've ever owned and stick to the ground like drag radials in a straightline. The only down fall is the 100 tread rating.

K2AHollywood

Established Member
I just thought of this...

These are supposed to be pretty good and reasonably priced tires. Maybe move the GS-D3's to the back and get these for the front?

Yeah I was looking at those lst night. And I was thinking about throwing my Eagles in back but that means going back to the 245 - which Im pretty sure I probably want to do

I'm not your homie, and you said you need an all season tire because it rains a lot. If you have a DD why the *** would you drive your cobra in the rain. If you have a DD, put a good drag radial on it, and stfu. :loser:

Wow you are a little bitch you know that? How about it doesnt matter what I do with my DD. Maybe its laid up, maybe its under repair, maybe my best friend is using it for a few months - if I didnt mention it its not a current option, but you think you are so neat you had to stick in your edgy comment in a thread that has nothing remotely to do with it. Furthermore, I dont live in California where I could run a drag radial everywhere so even when it becomes a weekend car that is still a terrible idea. Finally...telling me to stufu in my thread for calling you out for being the idiot you are - thats cute. Why dont you stop trying to be a tough guy on the net and go back to working on your reach around.

I've had 245,255,275 from BF,Nitto,Michelin.and Kumho and I'm the Most pleased with the 255/45/17 Kumho's on all 4 stock 17X8 rims, 275 in the rear reeked havoc with lateral handling, the car felt like crap, their fine on 17X9 but on the thinner rim I'd advise against it!

Which Kuhmos are you running? And which Michelins were you running? I think I am leaning towards those G-forces above, the Pilot Sport PS2, or that potenza tire

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
I've enjoyed the Khumo SPT's and the XS's. The SPT's got a little loud and hard a few thousand miles in, but they did well in the rain and handled pretty firmly. The XS's were mediocre in the rain and crazy sticky in the dry. The XS's clearly weren't going to last long, but before I traded in the cobra, the XS's had about 5000 miles on them and seemed to have at least another few thousand left.

I'm a huge fan of the Pilot Sports though.

K2AHollywood

Established Member
I've enjoyed the Khumo SPT's and the XS's. The SPT's got a little loud and hard a few thousand miles in, but they did well in the rain and handled pretty firmly. The XS's were mediocre in the rain and crazy sticky in the dry. The XS's clearly weren't going to last long, but before I traded in the cobra, the XS's had about 5000 miles on them and seemed to have at least another few thousand left.

I'm a huge fan of the Pilot Sports though.

Corey I cant remember were you running the stock sizes? (245)

Last edited:

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
The SPT's were the stock size. The XS's I ran 275's on a 9" rim, which should handle similarly to a 245 on an 8" rim laterally.

Users who are viewing this thread