Tinnitus

Blown 89

Established Member
Mine is pretty bad. A minute doesn't go by that it doesn't sound like someone has a tone generator behind me. Once or twice a month it will ramps up like someone is turning up the volume then I go deaf in one ear for 30 seconds or so and then it comes back. Sleeping with low npr earplugs helps at night....I don't know why but it does. It's bad enough that I have trouble conversing in some environments.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
Mine is not bad but comes and goes. Lately it has been a little worse than in the last. I have decided to get checked if it gets any worse.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
What? I have a mild case of it, and have had it for years. I've never had it checked out though. As mentioned above, it gets worse every now and then.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
i know a few people that had it, there is a vitamin/supplement you can take that seems to help. I cant remember what it is though (very useful i know)

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
I never knew I had tinnitus or even that it was a thing until the first time I ever went hunting back in 2012. My friend's dad dropped me off in a deer blind by myself for 6-7 hours one morning. It was dead silent in the middle of the woods and the first time I had ever been in silence like that. About two hours in, I thought I was going to lose my mind the ringing was so bad. Had to rub my hands together and make random noises just to hear something else besides ringing lol. Never did see a deer

It hasn't been that bad since then, but does ramp up at night when I sleep. So I have to use a floor fan otherwise I'll be up all night

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I never knew I had tinnitus or even that it was a thing until the first time I ever went hunting back in 2012. My friend's dad dropped me off in a deer blind by myself for 6-7 hours one morning. It was dead silent in the middle of the woods and the first time I had ever been in silence like that. About two hours in, I thought I was going to lose my mind the ringing was so bad. Had to rub my hands together and make random noises just to hear something else besides ringing lol. Never did see a deer

It hasn't been that bad since then, but does ramp up at night when I sleep. So I have to use a floor fan otherwise I'll be up all night
True, I need a fan on or some type of background noise.

NJredfire03

Established Member
I have ringing in my right ear and clicking in my left. Mine is only bad at night when Im trying to sleep and it is dead quiet.

Sent from my SM-G935P using the svtperformance.com mobile app

That clicking could be your jaw. I have it. I've had it since I was 21 in the army. Come to find out my ear canals are smaller than normal. So the provided ear plugs never seated right. Always fell out and barely worked. Between gun fire and helicopter rides for hours, my tinnitus is pretty brutal. When my ears first got damaged it was BAD. I either got use to it or it's not as bad anymore. But yeah the random deaf and ringing for 30 seconds happens to me too. I always have a fan at night. Alcohol can make it worse. If anyone has ever gone to a loud ass concert, they know what we deal with on a 24/7 basis. Sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I had it a lot. but then I knew I had an issue with my hearing. finally went to an audiologist and got hearing aids. Tinnitus hasn't really been back since. if I go around without my aids for a day it comes back. Doc said it would likely go away with hearing aids and it did.

Coosawjack

Established Member
Mine is pretty bad and it's been this way for many years.....no cure and no treatment that I know of......just say "huh" a LOT and not really deaf.......SAD!!:(

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
I have to have a fan going and now I use an airplane sounding app.

My dad is the same way.

A couple of years ago we went on a cruise together and the ship had Bose speakers in the cabins. We had that airplane noise so loud the people next to us thought there was a runway in our room. I can not sleep in silence.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
That clicking could be your jaw. I have it. I've had it since I was 21 in the army. Come to find out my ear canals are smaller than normal. So the provided ear plugs never seated right. Always fell out and barely worked. Between gun fire and helicopter rides for hours, my tinnitus is pretty brutal. When my ears first got damaged it was BAD. I either got use to it or it's not as bad anymore. But yeah the random deaf and ringing for 30 seconds happens to me too. I always have a fan at night. Alcohol can make it worse. If anyone has ever gone to a loud ass concert, they know what we deal with on a 24/7 basis. Sucks.

It might be since I have really bad TMJ on my left side. It cracks and sometimes feels like it is dislocating if Im eating steak or chicken on that side. Since it has started cracking the clicking has stopped though. I had it all checked out at the VA and they documented it as hearing damage so I assumed it had something to do with that.

Mine comes from pretty much the same though. Lots of helicopters, but also forgetting to put hearing protection in before going into the shoot-house. Only did that once because I severely regretted it lol.

NJredfire03

Established Member
It might be since I have really bad TMJ on my left side. It cracks and sometimes feels like it is dislocating if Im eating steak or chicken on that side. Since it has started cracking the clicking has stopped though. I had it all checked out at the VA and they documented it as hearing damage so I assumed it had something to do with that.

Mine comes from pretty much the same though. Lots of helicopters, but also forgetting to put hearing protection in before going into the shoot-house. Only did that once because I severely regretted it lol.

Go to a real dentist. TMJ is a big problem. Still got wisdom teeth on that side? If so, they could be causing it. I had TMJ, clicking, popping, pain, weak chew etc. wisdom teeth out, no issues since.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
I have ringing in my right ear and clicking in my left. Mine is only bad at night when Im trying to sleep and it is dead quiet.

I've had it since 18 or so and ringing in both ears. Night time is the worst and it keeps me awake, so usually set the sleep timer on the tv so I have some noise to tune it out. Really should get it checked, I know it's from shooting and loud cars/music.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Go to a real dentist. TMJ is a big problem. Still got wisdom teeth on that side? If so, they could be causing it. I had TMJ, clicking, popping, pain, weak chew etc. wisdom teeth out, no issues since.

My wisdom teeth have been out since 17. They told me I need a mouth guard but it was like $600 and my insurance doesn't cover it. I think they said a normal guard will still work though. It actually feels like the left side explodes when it pops and it's like a shock through my head.
I've had it since 18 or so and ringing in both ears. Night time is the worst and it keeps me awake, so usually set the sleep timer on the tv so I have some noise to tune it out. Really should get it checked, I know it's from shooting and loud cars/music.
Mine seems to be slightly better now as far as ringing goes but yeah, it sounds like the same things that caused it. The first few months after EAS I had a really quiet apartment and it drove me absolutely nuts at night.

NJredfire03

Established Member
My wisdom teeth have been out since 17. They told me I need a mouth guard but it was like $600 and my insurance doesn't cover it. I think they said a normal guard will still work though. It actually feels like the left side explodes when it pops and it's like a shock through my head.

Mine seems to be slightly better now as far as ringing goes but yeah, it sounds like the same things that caused it. The first few months after EAS I had a really quiet apartment and it drove me absolutely nuts at night.

That pop is your jaw dislocating and back in place. I had a mouth guard and it cracked from me clenching my teeth so tight.

OP just constant white noise helps. Other than that I just try to tune it out.

Users who are viewing this thread