THP twin kit problems.

mustangmike1

Established Member
Why did you refuse to exchange k-members?

It's clear to see that the only issue the k-member fill fix is were it is hitting the k-member on the upright. It will still run into the rack and still hit the k-bolt unless I put the engine on an extreme angle. If there jig or mockup engine was set level I would have lots of room to play with. I am not sending the k-member back and pay for shipping there and back to have the same issue.

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
I don't know how you expect the vendor to work with you when you won't work with them on problem solving? I've known Jim for many years and he has always been extremely helpful, fast to respond, and easy to work with. Do you really think they have the engine crooked on their jig?

I think you've now put THP in a box where his hands are tied until this bank thing is resolved. What would be the incentive for him to continue to send or exchange parts when you could be issued a bank refund and still have a turbo kit? This is obviously a complicated situation, but I am betting things could have maybe been handled a little differently to get the desired outcome. Not many turbo kit companies have been in business as long as THP has. I don't think they could have made it this long sending out turbo kits that simply don't fit.

I know my opinion seems very biased, but I can only go by the experience I have with the same kit that's on my car and my dealings with Jim and THP. I surely hope that you could both reach some sort of an agreement to get these issues worked out and get your turbo car up and running.

mustangmike1

Established Member
First off the problem was already being dealt with, the header and up pipe was to be sent back and angle modified and sent back to me. I was going to grind down the passenger side k-member bolt and clearance the k-member for the tubes(I shouldn't even have to do this), and yes the pictures show there was something wrong with his jig. We came to an agreement and the header/up pipe was sent back and he did nothing with it, he wanted me to change the k-member but from the pictures you can clearly see it won't do anything. My credit card company is involved to make sure he supplies me with the missing parts and fixes the issues or they will have the stuff sent back and all my money reimbursed, they just can't take money when I still have the item. Your opinion is very biased, I am sure you wouldn't like this happening to you.

lloyd393

Squid missile
Established Member
I can say that before I bought my kit that I asked Jim if my PSR k-member would work with it, and his response was that it might work but he could not make any promises as his kits were fabbed up with the k-member supplied with the kit. I knew this and chose to try it with my PSR k-member and I was lucky that it fit, but I was warned. It sounds like he told you the same thing, so why is it a big surprise that it doesn't fit with the k-member you have? If you opted to use what you had and were told it may not work, I can't see putting all the blame on Jim. I know that not all companies have the same standards with quality control and maybe QA-1 has issues with each k-member being exactly the same and that the issue may in fact be in the k-member you have. But my opinion may be biased and is just my opinion.

mustangmike1

Established Member
I told him from the very beginning that I had my own QA1 k-member and he said no problem. Nothing else was mentioned till after I got the kit and ran into issues, a different k-member won't solve the issue anyway unless the rack is mounted an inch lower. If you look at the pics you can clearly see that the passenger side is hitting the k-member bolt and the drivers side is running into the rack and sitting on the steering shaft, this is with the engine already tilted to the passenger side. How would a new k-member fix these issues, it would need the rack mounting points dropped about 1" for the steering shaft to clear and the header to not run into the rack. The photo's are pretty clear, I am surprised no one can see what I am talking about.

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
In your first pic, the header/up-pipe is resting on the rack boot, not the rack. All you have to do is take a pliers and loosen the clamp and slide the boot over a couple inches. Not a big deal, I had to do the same thing. I guess if it were me, I would have sent my k-member and done the free exchange and also sent the header and up-pipe along so THP could verify fitment. With all the money you have spent, it seems like a real pittance to spend $50-75 to send the rack out for exchange. I am hoping that you and Jim can come to some sort of an agreement to get these issues worked out. It would be good for both parties to make it happen. There is always 3 sides to every story and I just want to get to that 3rd side (the truth) and see you have a running car.

mustangmike1

Established Member
The suspension is hanging all the way down. It won't go up even if the boot is out of the way and it can't slide over enough either. It still won't fix the steering shaft issue either. There is enough room to have it coming out over top of the rack easily if he just modifies the header and up pipe that I sent him, if the headers flange is slightly tilted it will fix every issue. Plus there is still an issue with all the missing parts, both downpipes, main intake pipe, intercooler brackets. Its kinda hard to send the company something when I can't even get it all to begin with.

hemified86

Established Member
Seen pic's of your.....ummm new replacement piping!! Are you sure you didn't get this kit for free. Cause that's what you should have paid for it. Terrible workmanship on their part. Pretty much sealed the going procharger route for me!

1Fast-Turbo-Cou

Established Member
Seen pic's of your.....ummm new replacement piping!! Are you sure you didn't get this kit for free. Cause that's what you should have paid for it. Terrible workmanship on their part. Pretty much sealed the going procharger route for me!

Get a system from CG Fabrication. They ARE nice and actually fit properly. They have good pricing and he's a great guy too. He does a lot for a buddy of mine. I built my system from scratch on the car to avoid these problems, CG wasn't around at the time. The kit they sell now is nearly identical to the one I built myself 5-6 years ago. I really like the turbo placement on the CG system.

http://www.cgfabrication.com/shop/a...KevNSLRzf7mq9ape&shop_param=cid=5&aid=42.012&

http://www.cgfabrication.com/shop/a...KevNSLRzf7mq9ape&shop_param=cid=5&aid=44.027&

Last edited:

badblacklx

Established Member
I love my cg kit so far.
B7A855CA-53F5-4C6C-9647-C6D8DD4C8A11_zpscauhcr00.jpg

1Fast-Turbo-Cou

Established Member
Does anyone have any pics of the headers and up pipes installed for the cg fab kit. Also what k-member is required?

I'll see if Nick can chime in and post some pictures. He's gotta have some. His car is super clean. Not to mention it makes 1400 at the wheels. Bad ass car for sure. I believe CG actually used his car to build the first kit off of.

mr95gst

Established Member
This is why Caleb at CG Fabrication is one the best to buy from period. If Caleb says you will receive a setup it is done and shipped on that schedule. Anyone can have a Fitment issue how it is handled after really determines the experience.

Nick

You would think the companies receiving 8k in their pocket would have a shipping checklist when kits where ordered. Some people have no clue how to operate a business. Caleb at Cg fab had my hotside and coldside twin kit to my door in 4 weeks nothing missing at all.

mr95gst

Established Member
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Both headers are designed forward facing. They're built off the UPR K member but should work with any of them.

Does anyone have any pics of the headers and up pipes installed for the cg fab kit. Also what k-member is required?

Last edited:

mustangmike1

Established Member
Nice ride, I remember this car in 5.0 magazine. Thanks for the pics also, I was curious to see how they pointed and how much clearance there was and if the cold side is ran the same as the thp. I am going to give him a call this week.

z28misfit

Established Member
CG fabrication from what Ive read so far has been very positive. But none of the CG fab kits that I have researched maintain both A/C and the front sway bar. So this is one of the reasons Ive been thinking of using THP's headers as long as they fit cause they retain both A/C and front sway bar.

mustangmike1

Established Member
CG fabrication from what Ive read so far has been very positive. But none of the CG fab kits that I have researched maintain both A/C and the front sway bar. So this is one of the reasons Ive been thinking of using THP's headers as long as they fit cause they retain both A/C and front sway bar.
Check there website they have new headers to work with ac and sway bar, it can be bought as a complete hot side kit also. I think you have to modify some ac lines but no big deal.

Users who are viewing this thread