Those with Boss IM and 90mm TB Come In

Grabber2012

Established Member
Links? Yeah interesting question about the fins id like to know more also! Does the CJ IM have these fins?

I don't have a link, I read it on here some time ago probably over a year ago. Try a search for his threads or threads on boss intakes.personally I can't really see those fins robbing power, maybe a moderately-heavily boosted car I could see it.

Dizzyscure1

Established Member
Hmmm, it may infact just be for sound suppression. Any CJ IM owners wanna comment on the sound in which they notice or don't?

Grabber2012

Established Member
It's something the factory does to "quiet" the motor down from my understanding, probably to satisfy some test or regulation.

SCalla1384

Established Member
Yeah I thought it was to help reduce turbulence. Then EJR told me the CJ don't have the fins. Now that I know that I'm taking the fins off the boss.

VETTEHUNTER

No cure for this disease.
Established Member
Yeah I thought it was to help reduce turbulence. Then EJR told me the CJ don't have the fins. Now that I know that I'm taking the fins off the boss.

CJ might not have them due to the wide-mouth inlet vs. the smaller circular one on the Boss…. I don't know if I want to remove them or not. I literally have Dremel in hand lol.

by9468840

Established Member
why would you go 90mm? Edelbrock's SC kit still uses the oem throttle body and makes +500rwhp. I dont think any NA setup can demand more than what the stock throttle body can provide. Not even 85mm is really worth any investment unless you can spin your engine to 10k rpm!

VETTEHUNTER

Established Member
why would you go 90mm? Edelbrock's SC kit still uses the oem throttle body and makes +500rwhp. I dont think any NA setup can demand more than what the stock throttle body can provide. Not even 85mm is really worth any investment unless you can spin your engine to 10k rpm!

The Boss manifold has shown torque and hp loss in the lower rpm's in some applications. Larger TB's have shown to gain back some of that loss when used in conjunction with the Boss manifold. Peak numbers are not what I'm after here.
The CJ manifold and mono-blade TB have shown us that the motor puts the added air to good use.
The OEM TB is certainly good for high hp….no one will argue that, I'm simply trying to achieve SIMILAR results to the CJ set-ups with my Boss set-up, without breaking the bank. After researching it extensively, it seems that cleaning up the runners alone will gain back 5-10 at the wheels through out the ban…If the Accufab only ends up getting me better throttle response, and nothing in the power under the curve department, then so be it. I got an amazing deal on it.

Dizzyscure1

Established Member

yeah a good few fellas have shown a gain in low/mid range with the 85mm TB which will help around town driving.

VETTEHUNTER

Established Member
Started working on porting the Boss last night. The picture is deceiving…The ports look rough, but I assure you its just the picture. There are all very smooth and a night and day difference from stock.
Like others, I used a carbide tipped cutter to remove the triangular portions and then a 120 grit sand wheel to shape the sides. I then hand sanded with 600, 1200, and 2000 grit paper. I am still debating wether or not to attempt some sort of polishing compound to finish them off.

IMG_1067_zpsffac54ec.jpg

SteveC

Established Member
Looking good! It wouldn't hurt to hit it with a polishing wheel.

What speed did you have your dremel at? I think I am going to try and get a start on this on Sunday if I have the time.

VETTEHUNTER

Established Member
Looking good! It wouldn't hurt to hit it with a polishing wheel.

What speed did you have your dremel at? I think I am going to try and get a start on this on Sunday if I have the time.

Thanks. The first runner I did I ran the Dremel on medium, but found that running it on low for the others, gave me more control. Took longer, on low but the 3 out of 4 I did last night on low turned out slightly better.

SteveC

Established Member
My dremel came with the flex shaft so I am hoping that will help a bit with control too. I am not sure if I would be able to see what I was doing otherwise.

SCalla1384

Established Member
Looks good, I would definitely hit it with a polish compound. You want it smooth as possible.

Looks like you could take off more on the injector boss's too. I brought mine down like this

B6BC9468-5FBA-4AEE-8E97-C611F0DEF62C-257-000000855C3B74A8_zpse9d688ab.jpg

The orange is the polish compound I used. Looks a little rough, but felt smooth as glass. Then I just used a parts wash cleaner to get any excess material out.

JohnRichard

MT82 Speed Shiftin Maniac
Established Member
I went Cobra Jet, I have a 85mm TB for my boss intake, I liked it, i could feel a little difference, no I never wasted dyno money without it.
If and when I go back to the Boss intake I will run a 90mm TB, a large bore CAI with an outlet match as close to the TB opening... I think that, a ported inlet on the Boss intake and polished intake runners are your best boss intake solution...
Some people are getting crazy on porting the intake runners... I say use caution, the CJ intake is only a tenth of an inch larger in bore. If Ford would have HP value I think the runner diameter would be larger bore on the CJ intake.
Comparing throttle body size NA versus FI is not feasible, two different worlds.

Stock throttle body and no porting will net what this SVTP independent study has returned.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...-stock-ported-boss-w-stock-vs-cai-intake.html

Last edited:

VETTEHUNTER

Established Member
I went Cobra Jet, I have a 85mm TB for my boss intake, I liked it, i could feel a little difference, no I never wasted dyno money without it.
If and when I go back to the Boss intake I will run a 90mm TB, a large bore CAI with an outlet match as close to the TB opening... I think that, a ported inlet on the Boss intake and polished intake runners are your best boss intake solution...
Some people are getting crazy on porting the intake runners... I say use caution, the CJ intake is only a tenth of an inch larger in bore. If Ford would have HP value I think the runner diameter would be larger bore on the CJ intake.
Comparing throttle body size NA versus FI is not feasible, two different worlds.

Stock throttle body and no porting will net what this SVTP independent study has returned.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...-stock-ported-boss-w-stock-vs-cai-intake.html
I agree. Thats why I only removed the triangular portions of the runners. I didn't take the injector bosses down too much.
I don't see how the Boss inlet can be ported more than a mm or 2 at most, before your are at the gasket….Thats why I chose to go with the Accufab 84.5mm…..am I missing something?

SteveC

Established Member
The only way you can port match it bigger or at least come close to the 90mm is if you use a different type of gasket since you would need to grind away the groove for the old one.

Posted via Topify on Android

Users who are viewing this thread